Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW Beetle gearbox
expatkiwi

posted on 8/12/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
VW Beetle gearbox

If i was to re assemble a VW Beetle gearbox and put the diff in the wrong way would it give me 4 reverse gears and 1 forward?
If so I can use an adaptor from the states to mate it to a 13b Rotary engine and use it in a LMP style car
or I could use the subaru impreza gearbox and not have to faff with the diff but would have to custom make an adaptor plate

I have decided to call my Westfeild "The Caterhammer" Hopefully it will

myke pocock

posted on 8/12/10 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Dont know about the Beetle gearbox but a mate of mine rebuilt his Skoda Estelle (RWD rear engine) gearbox for a trial the next day and found that he had 4 reverse and 1 forward. Had to rip it all out and redo it overnight in time for the trial. Not best pleased to say the least.
MikeR

posted on 8/12/10 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
depends which way the engine turns!

and if you install the box the right way up, or upside down.

expatkiwi

posted on 8/12/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Box would be installed right way up and the engine turns the same way as the VW

beaver34

posted on 8/12/10 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
they poo them self at 150bhp

there are company making diff kits for the subaru box that poeple are putting in vw's now

Humbug

posted on 8/12/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you just turn it upside down. Then, if it is behind the engine instead of in front (as in the Beetle) it should give you 4 forward and 1 reverse. Might need to put a new drain plug on, though.
expatkiwi

posted on 8/12/10 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally I want to use the Subaru box. The VW idea came about as a few have been done with the wankel in the back but not the wrong way round to mid mount the engine, plus Kennedy in the states do an adaptor for it.

For the subaru box its already the right configuration,5 speed and newer technology. I can get a cable shift system from here http://www.cableshift.com/Subaru/subaru%20page.html and a 2wd drive conversion from here http://www.bremarauto.com/products/subaru-2wd-conversion-kit/.
But then there is mating it to the engine.
I figure it will handle the power well after all look what the boy racers put them through and my car will only weigh in at around 500kg not 1260kg ish.
I dont know about gearing but I would be on something that looks like this in 13" http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/large_wheel_pages/tvp4.html />
[Edited on 8/12/10 by expatkiwi]

[Edited on 8/12/10 by expatkiwi]

Chippy

posted on 8/12/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
If I remember correctly it is possable to assemble the diff on the reverse side, so making it suitable to mount engine in front, rather than behind as per the Beetle. I also remember that it won't take too many BHP. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

RickRick

posted on 9/12/10 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
even the hewland mk8/ mk9 which basicaly just uses the vw casing is only rated for 150 bhp i've seen a diff crownwheel explode with a 130hp pinto pushing a 500kg racecar
adrianreeve

posted on 9/12/10 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, turning the diff will give you 4 reverse and 1 forward. Useful if you are going mid engined with the gearbox at the rear of the car. It's easily possible to build a VW transaxle to take huge amounts of power, just ask the 10 sec drag car beetle owners as they wheelie down the drag strip! You will need deep pockets though!

HTH

Adrian

grazzledazzle

posted on 9/12/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
A porsche 914 box would do what you want without having to flip the diff. 5 speed too.
Canada EH!

posted on 9/12/10 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
A Model A Ford with an Oldsmobile engine and the crown wheel in the wrong side of the diff will remove the end wall of a garage quickly.
Don't ask me how I know, but it took the rest of the day to repair the garage wall before the folks came home.

jacko

posted on 9/12/10 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it will work thats what the grass track boys do / use to do
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 9/12/10 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
or look at an Audi 016 5 speed from a 5 cylinder 500E

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.