Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MNR/QUAIFE reverse
danny84

posted on 9/12/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
MNR/QUAIFE reverse

Hi all 1st post on here so i need some help.
Has anyone got any pictures of a MNR or QUAIFE reverse gearbox apart. IE all the internals on show.It,s just to get some ideas for making my own.I work as a cnc operator at an engineering company so have all the equipment at hand.I've got a rough design down on paper using direct helical gears so hopefully no backlash.It's very early days yet but hope to make a prototype sometime next year.Cheers all.

gavin174

posted on 9/12/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
hi danny

welcome to the forum...

hope you dont think i am being rude.

but your taking the P.

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

danny84

posted on 9/12/10 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
What do you mean taking the p.All i want is a comparison.This is purely for my personal use and no one elses.I,m not trying to reinvent the wheel or steal ideas form anyone.Am i out of order here?The reverse gear box isn't an exclusive to anyone,thats engineering.Change it a bit or improve it!!!What do you think MNR would have done.They probably aquired a quaife,pulled it apart and said"oh thats not good...We'll do this instead".So if anyones got any pictures ta.
mattyc

posted on 9/12/10 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree with you Danny my company has made millions from revesre engineering with added improvements
cs3tcr

posted on 10/12/10 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this thread on the US site:

USA linky

He's using straight cut gears but it gives some idea.

rf900rush

posted on 10/12/10 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Parts from my old gold colored gearbox.

Have repaired it, but so poorly I should NEVER be use on a car again.
I did have the intention to use then diff unit for a kiddy car.

Sorry no pictures of my new MNR one though.

gears
gears

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
danny84

posted on 10/12/10 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the support and replies guys.Going to have a good look at the linky over the weekend.Lots to go through.As you know its not just a case of putting bits together and hoping it works.Cheers for pics too although that looks like a planetary system i was thinking more conventional in out set up with shafts.I need to get clued up on gear sets,ratios and what sort of power they can handle.The making of the casing ,lever etc is a piece off p***.On that note anyone got a link to gearbox internal components suppliers ie standard parts like input,lay shfts etc. Ta.
Neville Jones

posted on 10/12/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
The best bet on small reverse boxes, is marine. Been around since the invention of engines in boats. Don't let the world make you think that Quaiffe or anyone else were the first.

If you want a small reverse box, get a small marine box, make an ali case for the internals, and away you go. The boxes can be had for a tenner at jumbles, or hunt around boatyards. Loads of them down here in the south.

Also, those epicyclic boxes end up with a large rotating mass, not good. A simple f-n-r dog box is all that's required. But when will the mfrs wake up? Maybe someone is already doing it. Who?

Cheers,
Nev.

franky

posted on 10/12/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
there's got to be a better way of doing it, none of the box's on the market are without problems. Evolution says that there's always improvements to be made.
Agriv8

posted on 10/12/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
the ways the quaife and the MNR work are radically different.

the bearings alone on the MNR unit are well into 3 figures before the casing and gears.

MNR have spent a large sum on Design and tooling sure they are happy for you to copy there design MMMmmmm .

PS don't understand its for your personal use but you hope to have a prototype next year I smell BS

Regards Agriv8

[Edited on 10/12/10 by Agriv8]

Breaker

posted on 10/12/10 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
there's got to be a better way of doing it, none of the box's on the market are without problems. Evolution says that there's always improvements to be made.

Yes, you are right ! I think Mr. Kawasaki e.a. should stick a reverse in their gearbox... problem solved

mcerd1

posted on 10/12/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
^^ like swaping the bottom end so it fits a car box....

http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/index.php?page=h2-4-busa

[Edited on 10/12/2010 by mcerd1]

-

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 10/12/10 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

He should rather copy that then we will talk business

StevieB

posted on 10/12/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

That kind of defeats half of the point of a bike engine though - you lose a big chunk of the weight advantage AND the 6 speed sequentialness of a BEC

The V8 on the other hand

danny84

posted on 13/12/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
the ways the quaife and the MNR work are radically different.

the bearings alone on the MNR unit are well into 3 figures before the casing and gears.

MNR have spent a large sum on Design and tooling sure they are happy for you to copy there design MMMmmmm .

PS don't understand its for your personal use but you hope to have a prototype next year I smell BS

Regards Agriv8

[Edited on 10/12/10 by Agriv8]

No BS mate only want ideas as i would never copy what anyone else has done.I'm sure there are an infinite number of ways to make a reverse box.Plus i've got to make a prototype.There's no way a 1st off part would work straight away it would be a waste of time and money on my behalf.The initial cost to me won't be much and if it gets too much i'll rethink the whole thing.When it comes to engineering i like to have a go myself.Top yoke for streetfighter bikes ,brackets etc i'll try..non of which i plan to sell.Like i said i need to do my research.I haven't got the time to think about mass producing anything i work up to 60 hours a week so maybe my sometime next year is a bit adventurous.If i do i would gladly post some pictures.I'll leave the rest to the pro's.
Maybe knock the pictures request on the head guys i,m clearly ruffling a few feathers here.I'll go it alone!!!

[Edited on 13/12/10 by danny84]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.