Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TT Fuel pump switch?
jlparsons

posted on 11/12/10 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
TT Fuel pump switch?

Hi folks,

We took my mrs' clio (2003, 1.2, 30k miles) to hull the other week, foresaking the bmw due to uselessness of RWD in the snow. On the way back the retainer which holds the fuel line to the injector rail pinged off apparently due to the extreme cold, and in the time it took for the fuel in the rail to deplete and for me to think "hmmm, can I smell fuel?" it had sprayed the remaining half a tank of unleaded all over the inside of the engine bay... scary stuff. Luckily no ignition...

So I wired it back on good and tight and my mate has since modified the hose and injector rail so it's held on properly. But I'm thinking there are lots of fuel line connections under there and I don't want Mrs and nipper sitting on the grass verge waiting 3 hours for RAC in the snow while clio burns merrily on the hard shoulder below... or worse. So now i'm wondering how easy would it be to wire a fuel pump switch on the dash.

Any thoughts? Wise/unnecessay? Wire it straight from the fuel pump fuse?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

adithorp

posted on 11/12/10 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
In all the years these sort of fitting have been out, yours is the first one I've heard of coming off.
Unless when the car stalls she immediatly thinks "Oh no, it's the fuel line, I must switch off the pump... now where's that switch..." every time the engine stalls, I wouldn't bother. The pump should stop anyway once the engine stalls. Switching off the ignition will work but she's likely to try starting it back up anyway.
On the bright side... the fire will keep them warm while they wait

adrian

ps. petrol needs a spark or a flame to ignite, which there shouldn't be if everything is in order under the bonnet (provider it doesn't go in the aternator or starter brushes). Even HT leads shouln't provide a sprark if the insulator rubbers or good. Exhaust manifolds will just boil it away.

[Edited on 11/12/10 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

PhilCross66

posted on 11/12/10 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't need a spark or a flame, my old Mini had a leaky fuel hose catch fire when I was a kid and there's no electrics down the back of the motor, just a hot exhaust.
matt_gsxr

posted on 11/12/10 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Autoignition temperature of petrol is 246deg C.

A red-hot exhaust is more than 250deg, but I don't know what temperature exhausts on muggle cars run at.

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.