Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stiffness Conversion
phelpsa

posted on 11/12/10 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Stiffness Conversion

I have a lever twisting a bar. I have the stiffness of the bar in Nm/rad and the length of the lever, how do I get the rate at the end of the lever in N/m?

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mal

posted on 11/12/10 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Your 2 sets of units are comparing eggs with cheese.
Rotational stiffness is the moment (or torque) needed to produce unit angular deflection.
If you want to convert Nm/ radian to Nm/ degree, divide by 57.3, which is 2xpii.

indykid

posted on 11/12/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
it won't be a linear rate at the end of the lever, but divide the Nm/rad by the length (in m) of your lever and that will give you the force required to deflect the lever 1 radian.

divide the N/rad by the angle (in radians) travelled and that should get you somewhere near.

try make whatever linkage you use rising rate

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/12/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Adam,

The length of the lever comes in twice.

Firstly for the torque i.e. F x L (where X is the cross product if you want to be precise, but if things are perpendicular its just the multiple)

Then a second time, because low levers cause a smaller change in the deflection angle of the tube.

Matt

phelpsa

posted on 11/12/10 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to find it in my solid mechanics notes. Shows how much attention i pay to what im taking notes on...

Cheers anyway guys!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 12/12/10 at 02:10 AM Reply With Quote
Finished

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.