Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How easy is it to steal a transit van
woodster

posted on 14/12/10 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
How easy is it to steal a transit van

What a day at work , we are building a new carpark ,today some scum bag drove on under the CCTV and nicked one of the guys brand new transit vans. The van was parked up with 50 other cars on our old car park , the guy that owned it had left it open as he was only working a couple of hundred yards away. The keys were in it but hidden away as were his house keys and wallet including bank cards plus a couple of letters with his address on ...... I know and he does now he should have locked it ............ My question is is it really that easy to steal a transit van ? I can't see how they could of known the keys were in it and they were very well hidden. How quick can you start one without the keys. To be fair to the old bill they came down within 30mins.
marcjagman

posted on 14/12/10 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
How easy is it to steal a Transit? Two words come to mind.........VERY EASY.
nick205

posted on 14/12/10 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure on a Transit, but a lot of new vehicles only have to have the coded key fob within range to deactivate the immobiliser etc. Does the dash have some indicator to show it's activated or not - could be they realised it wasn't activated and managed to hot wire it and have away?

Assume the guy is now changing his house security and cancelling all cards etc?

NS Dev

posted on 14/12/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
they probably watched and saw where he put the keys, will almost certainly be some of our travelling tarmac laying friends, they are experts with any transit!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

mookaloid

posted on 14/12/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
they probably watched and saw where he put the keys, will almost certainly be some of our travelling tarmac laying friends, they are experts with any transit!

Yep /\ /\

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

woodster

posted on 14/12/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
House locks have been changed and bank cards canceled .... We had a look on the CCTV and it took them 2mins, they drove in 2of them in a y reg astra van they were dressed in high vis coats ..... It just seemed so easy £14000 van gone and I guess not insured if the keys were in it :
woodster

posted on 14/12/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
House locks have been changed and bank cards canceled .... We had a look on the CCTV and it took them 2mins, they drove in 2of them in a y reg astra van they were dressed in high vis coats ..... It just seemed so easy £14000 van gone and I guess not insured if the keys were in it :
woodster

posted on 14/12/10 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I think it was gypos ..... bastards ... The thing is the car park is at the back of the factory on a one way system not open to the public so they did well to spot the van.
rallyingden

posted on 14/12/10 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
He can forget any insurance claim if he left the keys in, hidden or not. To be honest it serves him right.
You can't trust anyone these days. A shame the world has come to this.

RD

Davegtst

posted on 14/12/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
When i was in the AA i did no end of lock outs where people had locked their keys in the car. Transits could be broken into fairly easily but i don't know of any quick way at all to start one up without the key. Nearly all cars and vans now have transponder type immobilisers built into the keys.
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 14/12/10 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I would delete this thread and cctv evidence and tell the insurance company it was locked if i were him.

[Edited on 14/12/10 by CRAIGR]

T66

posted on 14/12/10 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Many moons ago, a local working mens club was visited by two men - both were wearing dustcoats and indicated they were there to replace the Plasma screen & projector system.

It was dismantled while the old men drank their ale, and placed in the van outside. Staff were told it would be replaced the following day as the system had been upgraded free of charge.

Winessed by 15-20 people drinking, and three members of staff.

If your balls are brassy enough, anything can be stolen - Yellow coats are often used to look the part.

Hide everything, never trust anyone, lock everything, and if you ever find someone in your back garden who asks when confronted for a glass of water, hit him !! You are about to be robbed.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 14/12/10 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
To get in to a transit it took me 4 mins without doing any damage....and that was into the locked back section where i had dropped my keys in a nice wet high vis jacket.

we often have to run the engine to keep the power invertor alive and i lock the van but if they wanted it they will take it anyway. we lock the van with another key.
im going to put a chain on the steering and clutch for the new years welding practice......

pikeys use transits because they are very common.

all the lads in an area had the spare wheels taken from under the wagons in a week.
some were done during the day when they were inside the customers houses

zetec mike

posted on 14/12/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Very difficult to start pretty well all modern vehicles without the key these days, they must have found the keys.
zetec mike

posted on 14/12/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Very difficult to start pretty well all modern vehicles without the key these days, they must have found the keys.
sonic

posted on 14/12/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Don't tell the insurance the keys were in it!
Its a works van one set got lost a while ago and you have the spare set which you are using in your posession.assuming he has the spares

Liam

posted on 14/12/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Definately found the keys. All the hotwiring and immobiliser hacking in the world doesn't disengage the steering lock. I've tried to break one of those buggers before - it aint as easy as in the movies!

As above, assuming he has a spare set, I wouldn't be telling the insurance company the keys were in there!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
id be suspicious myself, sounds very lucky that pikeys just happened to find the keys. Anyone on site you dont trust~?

I got robbed this morning by pikeys, noticed my sawhorses had gone awol. And my jack didnt turn up under the snow, so im guessing they had that too a few weeks back.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

billy

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt recomend any type of insurance fraud! its not worth it and they aint stupid, as people say its imposible to have driven away without keys. Bad luck on him tho, i do feel for him as a fellow construction/van driver

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

Danozeman

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
It will never be found so how they gonna know it had the keys in it?? Ford barrels can easily be drilled so if the keys were still in range of the transponder ring they could have started it.

But were they trying to nick it? or rifling through it and came accross the keys?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

beaver34

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
why leave the key in it?!!!!

thieves are not daft, we had a van taken from inside our warehouse that was being loaded had 50k of car part in it and that had been watched and stolen

we got it back though it it was left parked up to see if it had a tracker on it in a nearby housing estate

woodster

posted on 15/12/10 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
the cctv showed the reg of the van they came in, which i've been told this morning was traced to the local pikey camp .... they must have it hidden to see if its trackered
NS Dev

posted on 15/12/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid its all down to having major balls and, dare I say it, being a bit of a nutter now. The ONLY people I know in our area who have taken on the travellers and won have just taken the battle directly to them. Unfortunately, due to it being very unlikely to get a conviction, I doubt he'll get far with the police. Basically, watch out for the van on the site, and find out where any other local sites are. They usually either just swap the plates and use the van, or break it for spares and fire the remnants, in either case it will be on a travellers site somewhere not too far away.

Once you find it, get a LOT of people together, get the spare key and go fetch, preferably with a couple of heavy vehicles with you, if you possibly can, get a JCB. If you go in ready, its unlikely they will do much to stop you. A plant hire chap local to us got all his crews together, warned the police of what he was about to do (they said that for them to go in they needed a warrant and that they could not get a warrant without evidence that his kit was in there) and did exactly that.

Prob shouldn't put it up on here, but a chap I know lost the plot totally with them, and just went nuts, low loadered a Cat D8 into the (illegal) camp and flattened several caravans and cars. Strangely he's had no problems since.............Not sure I'd want to do that though

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

woodster

posted on 15/12/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Good news we got the van back, the police found it in a street near the pikey site Sadly the tools out of the back had gone and the alloys had been changed for some shitty old wheels but we got the van back. A big well done to the police who didn't give up. Whilst the plain clothes copper who found the van was radioing in to report his find, who should come round the corner in another transit, yes, 3 pikeys. They ran off leaving their transit which is now in police care the pikey site was visited by a few coppers this afternoon, I won't know until tomorrow morning if they found anything.
McLannahan

posted on 15/12/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
Good news we got the van back, the police found it in a street near the pikey site Sadly the tools out of the back had gone and the alloys had been changed for some shitty old wheels but we got the van back. A big well done to the police who didn't give up. Whilst the plain clothes copper who found the van was radioing in to report his find, who should come round the corner in another transit, yes, 3 pikeys. They ran off leaving their transit which is now in police care the pikey site was visited by a few coppers this afternoon, I won't know until tomorrow morning if they found anything.

Great result! Bet he's so relieved but a shame about the tools. He'll have to find a better place for the keys now!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.