Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW or Audi
antimony

posted on 15/12/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
BMW or Audi

The missus has got a new job and the commute has doubled , so we need a more efficient car - i.e. a diesel. Unfortunately, she is a bit of a badge snob so it has been narrowed down to either a 320d or an A4 tdi probably around 2001, 100K miles (couldn't persuade her to even try a Skoda or Seat).
The question is, which will be the most reliable? I'd prefer the BMW but I've heard about problems with turbos and swirl flaps. Has anyone any experience of either at highish mileages?

franky

posted on 15/12/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
If you get the audi with the 1.9tdi engine they're about as bomb proof as you can get. All cars have their troubles but that unit is so developed and used in so many cars its hard to beat. It'll do a genuine 50mpg too.
austin man

posted on 15/12/10 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
The VAG range is a good one to go for the turbo diesel highly tuneable and in most instances returns better MPG after remapping so all in all you could look at Audi, VW, SEAT or Skoda the Octavia VRS and Fabia VRS are worth looking at due to the performance and spec

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

tegwin

posted on 15/12/10 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Same platform... 2001 Bora 1.9TDI.... they are going for very little these days, which is odd, given with some subtle mods and a tuneup they could be quite a bit of fun...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mikeb

posted on 16/12/10 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
My a4 tdi on a 1998 has now done 182,000 with no problems (touch wood) 100k of those mine in the last 5 years, I service it put juice in it that about it. Think the BM's are a better drive but I get the feeling parts and any problems if they do arise will be more pricey to fix. You can't go that wrong with a audi tdi if its been serviced regulary.
RickRick

posted on 16/12/10 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
mate has a 320D and is claiming 60mpg average! i've got a 530D basicaly the same engine, just with 2 extra cylinders. i took the swirl flaps out of my inlet manifold, and also from the 320D neither of us can tell any different, and it only takes a few hours for that extra piece of mind (don't bother buying blanking kits, snap off the flap, and fill the hole with a rivet)
MK9R

posted on 16/12/10 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Same platform... 2001 Bora 1.9TDI.... they are going for very little these days, which is odd, given with some subtle mods and a tuneup they could be quite a bit of fun...

exactly what i got, all the running gear of a Golf and an A3 but cheaper. If i drove very conservatively used to get 57mpg out of it on my old commute which was 50% mway, 25% B roads and 25% town, if i drove it like i stole it i still got mid 40's!!! My new commute which involves a lot of town driving and no motorway its does about 41mpg. I got a 115bhp 6 speed model and its chipped to 140bhp so its bloody nippy!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 16/12/10 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
The VAG platform cars are all good. The old 1.9 engine is very tuneable and reliable. Even the PD150 chewing cams isnt that common, as long as they are serviced properly.

I dont like the latest incarnation of the A4 (2008 on) we have one as a company pool car and although its nice to drive with the 2.0tdi, the seating position is offset so its uncomfortable after about 2 hrs driving. That said the older ones dont suffer the problem.

My Leon FR Tdi averages around 50mpg on my normal run and normal driving, up to 60mpg on a long gentle drive. Thats had quite a bit of work done and is running around 190bhp and 300lbft.

The Seat and Skodas are the best value for money, you get all the toys included that you would have to pay extra for on the VW or Audi. The build is very nearly as good as well. The only difference is the body and trim, all the running gear is exactly the same across all of the different badged cars.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

tony-devon

posted on 16/12/10 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
another vote for VW

I got golf GT TDi daily driving will always see 45mpg

longer runs, like I did at the weekend, went from my house to a relatives in Essex 279 miles 3 hours 27 minutes, and that includes crawling along a huge section of M25 at 50mph still returned 48 mpg

take it easy and on the motorways I have see 58mpg

however it goes very well, handles well, is comfortable and feels solid

if it has to be a bm or audo to suit the badge whore LOL

then the audi would get my money

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 16/12/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Try and test drive both back to back. We found a route of about 20 miles that took in a few miles in town, a few on back roads a few on single lane A roads,and some dual carriageway driving and passed almost all the dealers we (she) was interested in - audi/volvo/bmw so it was a good route.
We did, and got the 320d - Handling is good on both, but the ride is much better in the BMW, especially on rough roads. When you do a lot of miles that matters.
My missus manages the 'fleet' where she works, and the BMW actually works out cheaper overall for them to run! Just a side thing, she says all the A4s they have need the oil topping up quite frequently. (2.0d vesion) so keep an eye on the oil if you go for one.
The Audi is definately better on snow and ice though.
Regards
Hugh

paulbeyer

posted on 16/12/10 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

Exactly what I have in PD115 6 speed guise and it looks like I am starting to experience the dreaded headgasket and water pump failure. I should have done more VW forum research before buying as this is a well documented common fault. Whatever car you decide on spend some time doing research to see if there are any know faults as I am now looking at a major repair bill.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

matt_gsxr

posted on 16/12/10 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 98 A4 1.9 Tdi (red i) saloon.

Bought at 65k, ran to 230k when I sold it.

Original clutch, original exhaust, managed to get 720miles from a tank on one occasion and routinely got 600 from a tank (40mile commute before we moved) filling up as soon as the light came on.

Front suspension arms needed regular replacement, and the plastic trim on the bottom of the doors rusted off. Both design faults on these cars.

Rock solid car.

Matt

jossey

posted on 16/12/10 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
new bmw's are effiecient on fuel but not older ones.

second hand cars MPG
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/usedcar/make-model.asp

NEW cars
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/search.asp

hope this helps.

my 525d with 200 bhp does 40 mpg in summer 32 in winter lol ha ha (dont ask) it dont like cold.

my mrs has the 2010 golf 1.9 TDI and that averages 62 mpg for me to work n back when i borrow it. (130 miles round trip work n home)

cheers

dave j

jeffw

posted on 16/12/10 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
My A6 3.0Tdi does 42MPG ish on a run....with 300BHP. As for snow & ice.....Quattro

hobbsy

posted on 16/12/10 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Audi has the better engine out of the box (no flaps worries or premature turbo failures like on the early 150bhp 320D's).

It also has the better interior and stereo usually although at SE spec often lacks parking sensors / cruise etc that the BMW has.

BMW drives better though as RWD and not nose heavy.

I'm assuming you're talking about the E46 320D and A4 from 2001 to 2005 is (B6?)

As you've probably guessed I've owned both.

Don't go took mad on the A4 remap else you'll eat the clutch and almost cook the very expensive dual mass flywheel.

Don't ask me how I know It did go well though

nick205

posted on 16/12/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
All the cars mentioned so far have their good and bad points as do all other makes and models. Whatever you choose you will hear praise from some and tales of woe from others - horses for courses.

IMHO when buying at 9-10 years old with 100k miles the badge is of very little importance. It's the condition and history of the car that really count.

Jasper

posted on 16/12/10 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said drive both see which you like, it's not all about reliability. I've got an '02 530D BMW which I completely love BUT it has had a new turbo and two new rear suspension airbags, but I wouldn't swap it for anything of similar value, it's a complete joy to drive, and even chipped to nearly 300lb ft of torque and 240bhp it still does 32mpg and I drive it hard.

The ride and handling is superb, the driving position and interior is wonderful and it feels really well put togther. When this one gets too old I'll just buy a newer one.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

DarrenW

posted on 16/12/10 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking from bitter experience i would be wary of a 2.0D beemer of that age with those miles. Mine was a 52 plate 150 bhp variety though, i think the slightly older 130 odd bhp ones might have been OK.

I was never a fan of Audi's until i bought an A3 for the missus, that changed my oppinion of them. Its an older (T reg) 1.8T sport but what a cracking car. Personally at the age you are thinking id probs look at the Audi option more.

Ive opted for a bit of luxury now with a 730D, awesome car. Time will tell if it proves to be reliable, but when i was having 2.0 problems (turbo failure) there didnt seem to be so many reports of 3.0D's with same issue.

britishtrident

posted on 16/12/10 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just take the flaps off ----- ironically BMW put a version of the engine without the flaps in the Rover 75 no difference in power.
Davegtst

posted on 16/12/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Although they are both pretty good cars they are sooo common now, every other car on the road is an A4 or 3 series. I know you said she likes the badges but why not go for something a bit different. Maybe they haven't got a reputation for being reliable but something like an Alfa or even a Lexus.
Ninehigh

posted on 16/12/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
Although they are both pretty good cars they are sooo common now, every other car on the road is an A4 or 3 series. I know you said she likes the badges but why not go for something a bit different. Maybe they haven't got a reputation for being reliable but something like an Alfa or even a Lexus.

Hehe I'm working this one on my missus. She'd love an Audi but I'm saying they're so common it's like having Tesco car

britishtrident

posted on 17/12/10 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
Although they are both pretty good cars they are sooo common now, every other car on the road is an A4 or 3 series. I know you said she likes the badges but why not go for something a bit different. Maybe they haven't got a reputation for being reliable but something like an Alfa or even a Lexus. [/quote

I think you will find Lexus are much more reliable than Alfa and more reliable BMW & Audi.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Davegtst

posted on 17/12/10 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah i know. What i meant was look at an Alfa or Lexus although the Alfa's seem to still be hanging on to their old reputation. I believe Alfa's are way better now but Lexus are virtually bulletproof. Every man and his goldfish have either an Audi or BMW.

[Edited on 17/12/10 by Davegtst]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.