Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Snow Socks ?
dhutch

posted on 17/12/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Snow Socks ?

About a week ago on the news it said ambulances had been given these inplace of snow tyres as didnt require the ambulance to be taken out of service while they where fitted.

Ignoring the fact i takes minutes to change a set of wheels over, and only half an hour to do a set of tyres onto the existing rims, and the fact that the drivers would have to stop to both fit and remove them, while on a call, if they where required.

Has anyone used them before?
- How good are they in snow or on ice?
- What if the life expectacy of this stuff?

A pair for the two fronts for the pug is £60-70 depending on brand, and while there clearly for a 'get you home' short term type fit, remove again asap to save there life etc they are quite a lot cheaper then a set of snow tyres which i have opted not to invest in this year. But few jounrys are worth £60 to me as im skint, i would rather tirfor it to the edge and walk, so if they get killed doing half a mile its not on the cards. If you avoid wheel spining on tarmac (never good for the life of anything) will they get my out of troble 4-5times thorughout the year and still look forward to next winter?

Daniel

ChrisW

posted on 17/12/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
My next door neighbour bought a set last year and swears by them. We live at the bottom of a steep hill and I was the only one of my neighbours that could get out, having 4wd on the Audi. Everyone else couldn't get grip on the hill. He bought the socks and had no problems after that.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Heather

posted on 17/12/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I am fleet administrator for a large company and we run over 2 hundred transits as well as cars, we have now kitted the vans with the Autosock snow socks after trialling a few, as long as they are used to directions ie don't drive on cleared roads and not at over 30 mph and as long as the snow is not that deep that the vehicle 'beaches' on the snow they are brilliant both in soft snow and on ice.

Heather

mr_pr

posted on 17/12/10 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
a +1 from me too....

My Build Progress

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/12/10 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heather
Hi,

I am fleet administrator for a large company and we run over 2 hundred transits as well as cars, we have now kitted the vans with the Autosock snow socks after trialling a few, as long as they are used to directions ie don't drive on cleared roads and not at over 30 mph and as long as the snow is not that deep that the vehicle 'beaches' on the snow they are brilliant both in soft snow and on ice.

Heather

shoulds tell the muppets that run our fleet. Transits that are good for normal weather dont do snow and ice.
And threats of must come to work or else we dont get paid.

dhutch

posted on 17/12/10 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
My next door neighbour bought a set last year and swears by them. We live at the bottom of a steep hill and I was the only one of my neighbours that could get out, having 4wd on the Audi. Everyone else couldn't get grip on the hill. He bought the socks and had no problems after that.
Presumably he puts them on the for decent in the evening and then takes them off once at the top of the hill the following morning? Is he on his origanal set still?

quote:
Originally posted by HeatherI am fleet administrator for a large company and we run over 2 hundred transits as well as cars, we have now kitted the vans with the Autosock snow socks after trialling a few, as long as they are used to directions ie don't drive on cleared roads and not at over 30 mph and as long as the snow is not that deep that the vehicle 'beaches' on the snow they are brilliant both in soft snow and on ice.
Sounds as good a recomendation as ive seen yet, assuming as said that they are used to direction, how long do they last. Will a set do a season or are the fairly disposable?

Daniel

ChrisW

posted on 17/12/10 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Presumably he puts them on the for decent in the evening and then takes them off once at the top of the hill the following morning? Is he on his origanal set still?

That's exactly what he does!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Heather

posted on 17/12/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
They are easy to put on and to take off (I can do it easily) they are just used on the drive axle and as long as they are not abused they will easily do a season
andylancaster3000

posted on 17/12/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
My boss a couple of years ago got a pair and also swears by them.

Have considered them myself as my car is pretty awful in comparison to all other cars I've driven in the snow!

[Edited on 17/12/10 by andylancaster3000]

morcus

posted on 17/12/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
What are snow socks?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

tegwin

posted on 17/12/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Where can they be bought? Halfords only stock chains :-(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Ninehigh

posted on 17/12/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
What are snow socks?

Pretty much a sock for your wheels. It's like a fabric and grips the ice and snow quite nicely according to the many people I've heard that use them

craig1410

posted on 17/12/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.autosock.co.uk
owelly

posted on 17/12/10 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC Vauxhall have then listed as a dealer item so owners of fleet Vauxhalls can use them. That's why my chum who works for leccy board has been sent some. A few folks around here have got them and they all seem to be getting about ok.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.