Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making your own exhaust BEC manifold
Johneturbo

posted on 18/12/10 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Making your own exhaust BEC manifold

my next BIG job is the manifold, now my R1 manifold seems to small a bore compared to the standard ZZR14 i have, plus it would need cutting and shutting to fit.

has anyone made one up from the standard bike manifold? they don't seem to be equel lengths, but they have link pipes between them

i'm guessing they are stainless rather than Ti

so how easy/difficult will it be!!
ps i can't weld that well and don't have a tig welder

Description
Description

[Edited on 18/12/10 by Johneturbo]

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 18/12/10 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I can't weld so well but have a big grinder which helps! Just make sure it is sealded!
With my Cobra I had to cut and weld quite a few sections to fit the power steering. A mig welder will weld the stainless no problem. It isn't that pretty but my plan was always to wrap the exhausts anyway.
Merlin (among others) sell different lengths and curves etc designed for you to build up your own design. I actually stuck with the bits I cut from the original manifold and patched it in places (with mild steel!!).
I have so far had a carbed R1 and now an injected 5VY and on both the link pipes had been ditched, so I wouldn't worry about them too much. They are for some resonance thing IIRC and serve little or no purpose in a car (at least in a 6.3litre Cobra, am sure someone will correct me about bike engines).
Anyway, a year plus down the line and an SVA exam, the exhausts still aren't blowing!

Johneturbo

posted on 18/12/10 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Nice to know someone else is also better with a angry grinder than a welder!

did you also make up a collector or maybe something i can buy of the shelf, i already have a "hole" on the bodywork so need to make it kinda fit that, i don't mind making it a bit bigger to fit thou

Strontium Dog

posted on 18/12/10 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
It'll be difficult to grind the weld out of the inside of the pipe with an angle grinder and that's where it counts! You could tack it and then get someone who can weld to do the seams or you'll need a die grinder and flexi shaft or similar Collectors are easy enough to form but again you will need to be proficient at welding to make the best of it. Google making collectors, it is well covered on the interweb!
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 18/12/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
On a Cobra I had shiney side pipes which I bought separately. All I needed to do was get four positioned pipes on each side and use a lot of jiggery pokery to get them to slide into the shiney bits.
I would say forget the existing hole and with cardboard, cut a top and a bottom piece which together make a nice rectangle/square/circle, and then cut them out of Ali and rivet it on, to fit around the exiting pipes, and cover the old hole. This also helps reduce induction noise for track day noise tests.

Johneturbo

posted on 18/12/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Doing a bit of searching came up with this website, a wee little programe that lets you make the bits with a paper template, i think it's been posted before on here

http://www.pulserate.com/index.php?content=product

SPYDER

posted on 18/12/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
We made our own manifold from two standard ones. We cut them up into bends and straights and it's just a 3D puzzle from there on in. Plus, being a 929 'blade it was titanium. The collector wasn't easy but the end result was worth all the effort.
Not being able to TIG won't make the job easy but as already said you could tack it together and get it Tigged professionally.
Speak to your Tig man first.
Pics in my archive.

Geoff

matt_gsxr

posted on 18/12/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff,

Whats the problem with MIGing manifolds?

Not as pretty, or something worse?

Matt

SPYDER

posted on 19/12/10 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Not as pretty I suppose Matt.
I tend to leave all things weld-wise to my co-builder.

matt_gsxr

posted on 19/12/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well your work (or your partners) is lovely there is no doubt.

I just don't have the skills or the kit to do it as nicely as you do.

Just wanted to clarify that MIGed manifolds work fine, which I think you have,

Thanks,

Matt

Steve Hignett

posted on 19/12/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
But Geoff and Eldon's manifold was titanium hence wanting/needing it to be Tig'ed...

ETA - to the OP, johneturbo, send a u2u to Joe welderman, he has made a couple of collectors and they are very good...

[Edited on 19/12/10 by Steve Hignett]

Chet

posted on 20/12/10 at 04:07 AM Reply With Quote
FYI-
Suggest spending the funds or time to build a properly designed tri-y system. The addition to the mid range power band can really make a difference.

Another alternative would be to use a stepped 4 / 1 with a merge collector.

Chet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Johneturbo

posted on 20/12/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Where do you start with designing a system, do you use cardboard to get a idea of the shape needed

i think once i cut up the manifold i will be a bit short on material, apart from merlin any other place i can get bends/straights

OK steve i'll keep joe welderman in mind

[Edited on 20/12/10 by Johneturbo]

Johneturbo

posted on 10/1/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Right guys been working out angles for the manifold i'm making.
and i can only go with with the angles i have from the bike manifold i cut up

say i have a angle as in the pic and wanted to lessen the angle is there a way of making sure it's the same size ID/OD
as i'm butting up the joints

Description
Description

i need some 60Deg angles, it's not something i've found anywhere off the shelf from the inteweb

any techniques you can share

Angel Acevedo

posted on 11/1/11 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo

say i have a angle as in the pic and wanted to lessen the angle is there a way of making sure it's the same size ID/OD

Description
Description

i need some 60Deg angles, it's not something i've found anywhere off the shelf from the inteweb

Make sure you measure twice...
The cut MUST be perpendicular to a tangent where you want the cut.
In your picture is not, this will lead to an oval opening.
I hope I make sense...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tony-devon

posted on 11/1/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
OJZ ENGINEERING is your friend

http://www.ojzengineering.co.uk/product_index.php

any custom bends required are priced the same as a 180 degree bend in that tube, plus 10%

but for stainless bends, their prices really are very hard to beat

I ordered some last thursday, and should be here today, great service, helpful and friendly

Im nothing to do with them, but having found these people after spending probably in the region of £700 in the last few years with demons tweeks etc, I am over the moon and feel that they need to be promoted

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

oddsaabs

posted on 11/1/11 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I spent some time looking at the zx14 header this morning as I'm not that far behind you in needing to design a new one. Your right that the primaries are different lengths. I measured lengths between 20" and 22". The varied lengths are probably the reason for the cross tubes. I doubt that 4 equal length primaries would need these. I'd measure all 4 carefully then find the average. Make this the length of all your primaries. Probably around 21".

The stock header, as well as every aftermarket header I can find, all use a 4-2-1 system. Cylinders 4 & 1 join together, 2 & 3 make the other pair. I would say this is clearly the way to go forward.

As far as actually designing the header I've had success in the past with using bendable plastic tubing of the same diameter (1.5" in this case) to get a general idea how to lay them out, then use welding rod to create a more stable shape to build from. This is the technique used by Keith Tanner in his book. I've found it works pretty well.

Do make sure that any cuts made on the tubing are square to the tube. Score some pre-bent tubing in 180 shapes and use tape to measure how much of each bend is required at each joint. You'll find that one tube can supply multiple bends in the primaries if measured carefully.

Without a welder on hand it's going to be hard to make this. I usually tack together the pieces first in the shapes I need then give it to a friend who is a much better welder that I am to do the finish welding. Best of both worlds. I do the time consuming job of creating the puzzle and save the skilled work for my mate.

Hope that helps. There is actually quite a bit of info out there about making headers for Locosts on the LocostUSA site. Might me worth a gander.

Johneturbo

posted on 13/1/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Tony your right they are good prices plus being able to order any angle for not much more is a bonus

i ordered a couple of 60Deg and 1/2 mtr straight, (hopefuly be here monday) thats all i need extra for the manifold. unless i mess it up... Gulp

Not sure what i'm doing with a collector yet (think that will be beyond my skill level) 4-2-1 would be ideal but maybe for simplicity i'll try and get a 4-1 made up

Johneturbo

posted on 13/1/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
quote:

Description
Description

Make sure you measure twice...
The cut MUST be perpendicular to a tangent where you want the cut.
In your picture is not, this will lead to an oval opening.
I hope I make sense...

How do you make sure it's perpendicular to the tangent? just by eye or is there a formulae

Johneturbo

posted on 20/1/11 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm making slow progress on my manifold but it's progress nevertheless!

been looking at options for a collector that won't break the bank.

come across these on ebay from the usa nice 4-2-1 with the right size for my manifold i'd just need to get the ends swaged to accept the 38mm OD

what ya think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Collector-Collectors-Pipe-Header-Exhaust-304-Stainless-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255faafad1QQitemZ160518830801QQptZMo torsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Uphill Racer

posted on 29/1/11 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm making slow progress on my manifold but it's progress nevertheless!

been looking at options for a collector that won't break the bank.

come across these on ebay from the usa nice 4-2-1 with the right size for my manifold i'd just need to get the ends swaged to accept the 38mm OD

what ya think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Collector-Collectors-Pipe-Header-Exhaust-304-Stainless-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255faafad1QQitemZ160518830801QQptZMo torsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Depends if they are the desired length. I altered the standard ZZR pipes to suite my purpose.

Necessary to clear mounting points.

B120WNY

posted on 29/1/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Here's my exhaust in my Mac#1

Take one standard CBR1000RR exhaust manifold

Cut and bolted to the engine

The rest of the bits cut and layed out

On the engine

All the parts from the standard manifold reused to get to this point

Silencer and link pipe welded up

Fitted

Wrapped in Thermo Tec heat wrap

The wrap is now sealed/painted with DEI high temp silicone coating, awaiting the final fitting to the car.

Johneturbo

posted on 29/1/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job great that you've used all of the bikes manifold/collector

i can't use the bike collector as it's a 4-1 the 1 houses the cat then back into 2 with 2 1/2" outlets

here's my progress so far
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

just tacked in place so far, have 2 to 3 joints per pipe so not so bad, i will try and get it tig welded somewhere local

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.