Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: diy rope snow chains
jlparsons

posted on 21/12/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
diy rope snow chains

Hi folks. Am heading to my folks' place for Christmas, there's some steep snowy hills on the way and I'm in either a bmw (rubbish in the snow) or a clio (not too bad). I've not got any snow chains and can't find any (sold out) but I've heard of folk using rope wrapped around the tyres to give snow traction. My dad tried it just to get up one particularly steep hill, he said it worked a charm. Was wondering if anyone else has used this technique and knows how best to tie them or what to look out for? Would like a backup plan!

My main worry is if they snap and get tangled up around the drive shafts or struts, but I'm thinking if I tie on a seperate wrap around the tyre before each spoke of the alloy then it'll keep the lenghts short.

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 21/12/10 by jlparsons]

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

MikeR

posted on 21/12/10 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of how too's on youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4u4SX9M1tQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJKU-zO4hk

May take some rope with me on my christmas trip - 8" of snow around the parents and its been down for days.

MakeEverything

posted on 21/12/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you are good with knots. Youll need some pretty handy rope work to be able to avoid strangling your wishbones.

Its possible, but it would take forever to rope your wheels up. even then, theres no guarantee it wont slip or break.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Peteff

posted on 21/12/10 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just round the rim and tyre should work if you have holes in the rims or spokes. Tie on where you start, thread it round and through then tie off when you finish and you shouldn't be anywhere near anything at the back unless you have massive disks and calipers.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jlparsons

posted on 21/12/10 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've got six spoke wheels, I'm thinking it'd be better to use six separate lengths of rope tied separately around each spoke so there's only a couple of foot at a time to break and get stuck? Have to be tough knots but that shouldn't be a problem I think.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Stott

posted on 21/12/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Did this last year.

It worked ok in the snow where it was deep but I caught a patch on an uphill where cars had worn the snow down to slush, only for a couple of feet, then another further up the hill. The rope was toast in seconds. Waste of money IMO, but it could work in deepish snow on the flat.

ATB
Stott

T66

posted on 21/12/10 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
chains are not much use unless you have lots of snow to drive on !

We are not quite Ice Road Truckers in the UK

Our roads while we complain are patchy snow/ice & usable - You wont be very impressed driving with chains on, on a road with thin snow on.

That is unless you like the sound of - BERDUMP,BERDUMP,BERDUMP,BURDUMP,BERDUMP,BERDUMP.

Rope chains are ok for an emergency fix, snow tyres are the answer.

Get your Clio on 165x13 - like these

snow tyres on eBay (end time 22-Dec-10 16:23:17 GMT)

Ninehigh

posted on 22/12/10 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Get your Clio on 165x13 - like these

snow tyres on eBay (end time 22-Dec-10 16:23:17 GMT)

That reminds me many years ago I had a 106 with 145x13's on them, and I was delivering pizzas in weather like this

People were asking me how I got about and it took me ages to figure out these posh people were stuck because their tyres were twice the width of mine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.