Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 doner cars engine turbo upgrade.
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 31/12/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
MX5 doner cars engine turbo upgrade.

OK not low cost but well sorted,there is an interesting article in Evo this month on mark one MX5's.
Brodie Britain Racing of Brackley have a new turbo charging package for mark one MX5's (they did the dealer fit ones originally).
£3995 for the kit,
£4995 fitted,
£7500 for a refreshed car with the conversion fitted!
"at 0.6 bar the Garrett GT25 turbo apparently feels more like a supercharger, and on a 1.6 gives 222 bhp".
I wish I £7500 lying around!

MakeEverything

posted on 31/12/10 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitsilly
OK not low cost but well sorted,there is an interesting article in Evo this month on mark one MX5's.
Brodie Britain Racing of Brackley have a new turbo charging package for mark one MX5's (they did the dealer fit ones originally).
£3995 for the kit,
£4995 fitted,
£7500 for a refreshed car with the conversion fitted!
"at 0.6 bar the Garrett GT25 turbo apparently feels more like a supercharger, and on a 1.6 gives 222 bhp".
I wish I £7500 lying around!

But for £7500 you could fit a cosworth YB Engine and get 350hp out of the box!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Davey D

posted on 31/12/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
£3995 is a hell of a lot of money for a turbo kit :-o
vinny1275

posted on 31/12/10 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
4K for a turbo kit? Is it gold plated or something?

indykid

posted on 31/12/10 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
there are far better options than the BBR kit.

i helped avoneer build a kit to make more power than that for his 5 for under £1500 from used FM bits, including refurbing a T25 turbo for it. that included plug and play megasquirt, so better tuning options than what's included with the BBR kit too.

if they think 7psi will give 220bhp on a 1.6, either their dyno's knackered, or they're lying....

makes me wonder how much power pat's was making at 13psi. the arse dyno said plenty!

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 31/12/10 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder if VAT is included??
marc n

posted on 31/12/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
wowzers thats a LOT OF MONEY, can be done for way less, or real cheap..................................... picked up a complete car off ebay last week that has the whole shooting match steel crank rods etc just rebuilt with all reciepts to prove for 2k it has leather, tv, big barry boy wheels, koni shocks etc so hope to get loads back for those bits alone. sensible power output / cheap kits can be had from flying miata in the the states, or gredy performace off the shelf my first car had a second hand gredy kit on it bought from a breakers for £400 ( basic kit no intercooler etc and gave from memory nearly 190 bhp when remapped with a piggy back ecu courtesy of dynojet ( £200 ish ) i have a m8 who did a locost conversion on his road mx5 and got approx 250 and it cost him about £ 600 ( obviously he made a lot of parts i.e manifolds etc and did some ebaying ) but it can be done on the cheap ( comparitively speaking )

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BigLee

posted on 31/12/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
wowzers thats a LOT OF MONEY, can be done for way less, or real cheap..................................... picked up a complete car off ebay last week that has the whole shooting match steel crank rods etc just rebuilt with all reciepts to prove for 2k it has leather, tv, big barry boy wheels, koni shocks etc so hope to get loads back for those bits alone. sensible power output / cheap kits can be had from flying miata in the the states, or gredy performace off the shelf my first car had a second hand gredy kit on it bought from a breakers for £400 ( basic kit no intercooler etc and gave from memory nearly 190 bhp when remapped with a piggy back ecu courtesy of dynojet ( £200 ish ) i have a m8 who did a locost conversion on his road mx5 and got approx 250 and it cost him about £ 600 ( obviously he made a lot of parts i.e manifolds etc and did some ebaying ) but it can be done on the cheap ( comparitively speaking )

cheers

marc

I look forward to you getting nearly 190 bhp out of my Vortx Mazda! Guarenteed to poo myself before I reach the top of your drive!

Lee

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.