Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy Blackbird engine - New member questions
martyn1137

posted on 1/1/11 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy Blackbird engine - New member questions

Happy New Year to you all. As you can see I am a new member, maybe the first in 2011.

I have been watching the interesting posts on the site for a few weeks and as you seem a helpful bunch I thought I had best tap into all that experience.

I am sharing with an very old friend a MK Indy with injection Blackbird Engine. The intention is to do a few fun road miles and some hillclimbs. We rallied together in the 80's then moved to sprints and hillclimb. It's 25 years since I completed but my co - owner races still.

The Mk was aquired at the end of last year with very little history and due to the weather has stayed in the garage. (Much to annoyannce of wife who's TT is out at the mo). Story is it was built up as Westfield running conventional Ford base in 1989. Parts then rebuilt into MK Indy chassis 2004? when Blackbird engine fitted.

I have a thousand and one questions but for starters:-

V5 shows it as Westfield still and 1600cc engine! Firstly If I explain to DVLA it has been 'reshelled ' to an Indy will I have to have an IVA test - its on a Q plate now. Where is the chassis number on an MK? Changing the engine details should be straightforward and I hope will reduce the road tax. Anyone know what it will be with a standard 1137cc Blackbird engine?

The clutch is ridiculously fierce, I appreciate due to the bike engine with small flywheel mass etc it will be prone to easy stalling but suspect it still has a car master cylinder forcing a much smaller slave cylinder on this bike engine. The attachment of the clutch rod to the pedal could not be any lower to the fulcrum. What is the best route to take?

Ok that will get me started, especially as I can't type very fast. I will put some photos up when it next comes out of the garage - have to wait till wife is out!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 1/1/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome new one....... becs are cool...

mookaloid

posted on 1/1/11 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum

You need to be careful what you tell the DVLA as technically you seem to have a MK Indy blackbird with an identity from a Westfield 1600 ford which is usually regarded as a ringer! Also If this is spotted at an MOT I believe they can seize the car and crush it!

Not sure if you can put it through the IVA as a self build or not with a view to re registering it as an MK Indy because you didn't build it - no doubt there will be more views on this.

BEC clutches are often quite fierce, I have converted mine to mechanical operation which I hope will help but as I haven't run it yet I can't tell you.

Happy New Year

Cheers

Mark

edit - have a read of the thread discussing the car you seem to have bought http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=145636

[Edited on 1/1/11 by mookaloid]

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Killer

posted on 1/1/11 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
As Mooky has quite rightly said your car at first thought seems to have a different identity to that on the v5, so you'll need a significant amount of proof that this has had the chassis replaced and presumably all the suspension/propshaft too, pictorial evidence and receipts for the chassis and all parts before you even think about declaring it to the dvla as a vehicle thats just evolved into something else.

What you could do is use it as a donor and IVA your new car and then declare the original car scrapped although I think this is now more difficult to do than it was too as you may need a chassis to actually scrap.

Could be difficult mate, I've have no reason to disbelieve your story but their are many ringers out there with differing identities and sometimes searching ebay you'd think it was the norm and perfectly legal which of course it isn't. I've no time for people that do the ringing and feel a little sorry for the purchasers of these cars as they sometimes buy a barrel full of issues to deal with, although ignorance is no defence in a court of law.

Hope you manage to work it out.

Cheers

Rich

RichardK

posted on 1/1/11 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Dont think its possible to change the manufacturer on a v5 so if you want it correctly registered then you'll need to IVA it using the ringer as a donor. You would have to advise them of the engine change on the ringer prior to making it the donor though.

Best of luck

R

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
s6otty

posted on 1/1/11 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt think you really needed a donor if your only after a Q Plate?

Wouldn't the best route be to just go for a fresh IVA, as it is, then send the old V5 to DVLA as scrapped/dismantled?

Scott

T66

posted on 1/1/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
If its for sprinting & hillclimbing - dont bother with the ache of an IVA.

trailer it to meets, A frame on the back of the TT !

cosmick

posted on 1/1/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Check out the diameter of the clutch master cylinder. It may well be a 3/4" diameter. If so, change it to a 5/8" or even a 1/2" diameter. You are correct about the fierceness and you may well find that the bite point is very small and almost impossible to pull away without either stalling or spinning the wheels. I had exactly the same problem with my car. Now, I can pull away on tickover with no problem.

cosmick

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

RichardK

posted on 1/1/11 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by s6otty
I didnt think you really needed a donor if your only after a Q Plate?

Wouldn't the best route be to just go for a fresh IVA, as it is, then send the old V5 to DVLA as scrapped/dismantled?

Scott

Using it as a donor as far as using its registration number.... However scrapping isnt as easy as it once was, you used to just send off the v5 ticking a box ans signing it! Its now a new form as the new red v5 dont even have the scrapped tick box and have to get it stamped by a properly reg'd recycling plant.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
brookie

posted on 1/1/11 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
o it that car is it goog luck with sorting it out
Paul TigerB6

posted on 1/1/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
As the car is on a Q-plate already - its not transferable to the car when it is correctly registered. As pointed out already - the previous owner was very very dodgy when he changed the chassis over and didnt correctly SVA the car.

I think IVA'ing the car now might prove expensive. Do you have a reverse facility??

martyn1137

posted on 1/1/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the input. Alot to mull over there before we decide what route to take.

Thanks for the suggestion about the A frame behind the TT. I already tried that when we needed a little trailer to get a few hay bales for our pet sheep. You ever seen a TT with a towbar! Ended up putting towbar on my Audi.

The car has no reverse. It is something we are considering.. As it is very easy to push - on the level anyway, thought we would wait and see.

T66

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn1137
Thanks for all the input. Alot to mull over there before we decide what route to take.

Thanks for the suggestion about the A frame behind the TT. I already tried that when we needed a little trailer to get a few hay bales for our pet sheep. You ever seen a TT with a towbar! Ended up putting towbar on my Audi.

The car has no reverse. It is something we are considering.. As it is very easy to push - on the level anyway, thought we would wait and see.

lol - Is the sheep called Shaun ?

eddie99

posted on 2/1/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Best solution i would have thought is rebuild the car onto a westfield chassis. And notify DVLA of an engine change. I believe this would be easier than IVA'ing. Unless you decide that you would prefer to do nothing and just keep it for hill climbing, but as someone previously said. If this is picked up on at an MOT, this could be taken away from you.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.