Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: phone opinions
sdh2903

posted on 1/1/11 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
phone opinions

Hi all

My Iphone 3g is getting a bit worse for wear and thinks its time for a replacement. I can get an Iphone 4 pretty simply through my current O2 contract, however I'm more than a little miffed with apple how they screwed over the 3g and 3gs customers when they launched ios 4.

The other handset thats caught my eye is the HTC desire HD, I cant get this through my contract so would have to buy sim free. Anyone got one of these? any opinions? I know a lot of people rave about the desire on here.

The samsung galaxy/sony experia are definitly out but open to other suggestions???

Cheers
Steve

mookaloid

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
isn't the desire HD just a desire with a bigger screen? if so it will be a great phone with a slightly bigger screen

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

escary

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
got to be the apple

changed from an iphone 3g to a 4 in november, superb phone, vast improvement

i'd opt for iphone 4

sdh2903

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escary

i'd opt for iphone 4

In what way? where will i notice the difference?

tomgregory2000

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
i have upgraded to a samsung wave and if i could have afforded it i would have gone for an i phone 4, my friend has one and they are great
UncleFista

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
The Desire HD is a big and heavy phone, it's an odd shape at the back too to fit the camera lens in.
Battery life is dire with everything turned on, but there are ways to extend it.

If you've never used android OS before it's nothing like the iphone, much more customisable, more free apps etc.

I think it's going to be one of those things that only you can decide on.
Try a Desire HD out at a phone shop in real life is my opinion

Edited to add, I'm a big android fan, once my contract has finished this month I'll be getting a Desire HD asap, my brother has one and I was quite happy with my cheapo sanfran before playing with his HD

[Edited on 1/1/11 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

mookaloid

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have the normal desire and wouldn't swap it for any sort of iphone thanks

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

DRC INDY 7

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
i phone 4 all the way why have second best

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

eznfrank

posted on 1/1/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Check out the Dell Streak also on O2, I absolutely love mine. Only ever seen one other person with one.
RoadkillUK

posted on 1/1/11 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Get the Desire HD, I love it. Can't put it down. Battery life is as good as any smart phone that gets overused. Very customisable.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 1/1/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:
Originally posted by escary

i'd opt for iphone 4

In what way? where will i notice the difference?

It'll be this week's phone instead of last week's

Ian Pearson

posted on 1/1/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've had my Desire HD for about a week. It's not quite as intuitive as the i-phone, but I have to say that I prefer it to my wife's 3GS. I'm no techno warrior, but all the writeups I've read about the battery being short lived and the screen not being as good as the i 4 or the Galaxy s are all a little remote. I suspect that unless you put the phones side by side, you prob wouldn't notice too much difference. My wife prefers my screen to her 3GS. As far as battery life is concerned, with moderate use, my battery will last almost two days. It certainly is no worse than the 3GS, and I can replace the battery easily, upgrade the sim card, and customise the phone. I spent ages trying to decide what would be the best phone to get, and in the end, went for the HD because I felt it offered a little more flexibilty.

Great piece of kit.

RazMan

posted on 1/1/11 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Having owned both *phone and Android I can honestly say that the Desire is probably the best smartphone available at the moment. I can't vouch for the HD but I find my Desire to be streets ahead of the fruit phones (inc no 4) My only gripe would be the small amount of internal memory so you have to be choosey about the number of apps you can install, but later ones can be loaded to the SD card so it won't hold you back too much.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 2/1/11 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
My brothers got a Dell Streak and I couldn't believe it was actually meant to be a mobile phone, It's huge.

I'm told (From many souces) the iPhone 4 doesn't work lefthanded unless you buy a case which might be worth bearing in mind.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Madinventions

posted on 2/1/11 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm more than a little miffed with apple how they screwed over the 3g and 3gs customers when they launched ios 4.

My 3GS is running OS 4.21 no problems, but I have heard the 3G can't take advantage of all the upgrades. You could always look out for a 2nd hand 3GS? They're fairly plentiful now that everyone is getting the iPhone 4.

Ed.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

MikeRJ

posted on 2/1/11 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
My brothers got a Dell Streak and I couldn't believe it was actually meant to be a mobile phone, It's huge.

That's because it's primarily a small Android tablet with phone capabilities rather than simply a huge phone.

James

posted on 2/1/11 at 01:36 AM Reply With Quote
Massively impressed with my girlfriends Samsung Galaxy!

Wortha look I'd say.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.