Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: PU Expanding Foam seat fixing
mantisgb

posted on 4/1/11 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
PU Expanding Foam seat fixing

Hi,

I've recently acquired a Locost that I plan to race in the 2011 series. I have had to replace the seat it came with because firstly I don't fit the cockpit in the original seat (leg room) and second I like the comfort of a custom formed seat. What I can't be sure about is how this 'seat' meets regulations.

I have made the seat from using a two part polyurethane expanding foam kit and plan to cover in gaffer tape - my question is, in order to meet safety/technical scrutineering checks, how must this seat be mounted? Can it just be dropped in and be secured by virtue of me being sat on it and strapped in by a six point harness? When I made it I was careful to make sure it can't slide from side to side, however, without me being strapped in, the seat can move forward freely. What I'm not sure is whether I need to add any fibreglass to it and actually fix it to the floor in any way?

What do other people do?

thanks, Keith

MikeR

posted on 4/1/11 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of velco on the rear of the seat / bulkhead / floor?
AndyW

posted on 4/1/11 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
as above velcro will hold it in place whilst your not in the car, either than or cable ties as there strong and can easily be cut for maintanence
mantisgb

posted on 4/1/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the response - but is the velcro a suggestion, or is it something you actually use yourself and that has passed scrutineering?

The blue book would suggest that a race seat must be mounted securely and resist crazy forces, something which couldn't be achieve with PU foam covered in gaffer tape!

thanks, K

Bluemoon

posted on 4/1/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mantisgb
thanks for the response - but is the velcro a suggestion, or is it something you actually use yourself and that has passed scrutineering?

The blue book would suggest that a race seat must be mounted securely and resist crazy forces, something which couldn't be achieve with PU foam covered in gaffer tape!

thanks, K

Don't know the regs, but you "seat" is just an isnsert (padding!) the "seat" is the floor and bulkhead?

dan

BobM

posted on 4/1/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Most of us in RGB use foam seats. Mine isn't fixed and I don't think the other guys' are either.

I think technically the foam part is merely the 'cushion', the seat itself being the chassis/aluminium panels so far as the regs go. Never been a problem with the scrutineers.

Not very Locost but very BEC

ironside

posted on 5/1/11 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto, mine is held in only by me and has never had any trouble at scrutineering.
procomp

posted on 7/1/11 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

As said the seat is held in place by yourself and the 6 point harnesses. Assuming that it is a very good fit to the chassis. However what the scrutineers will be ( or should be ) looking at is the crutch strap fitment.
What is required is where the straps go under the seat and then come up through or in front of the seat depending upon how you have shaped it, Is a tie down mounting. IE where the straps effectively go vertical from the floor they will need securing down to the floor to prevent the seat and yourself being able to just lift up in the event of an accident. What i do is use either a flat or round bar that is bolted securely to the floor across the seating area that holds the belts between the floor and securing bar with 4 6mm bolts n nuts. Obviously the bar needs to something like 25mm x 3mm flat or 12mm Dia round minimum with rounded edges where the belts come into contact. This has satisfied the scrutineers for the last 20 years so is proven to be acceptable.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 27/1/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just a repost from other seat thread for info.

Description
Description

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.