Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is there an alternative to sierra rear disk hubs that take bolt on driveshafts?
sippingdiesel

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Is there an alternative to sierra rear disk hubs that take bolt on driveshafts?

As the title suggests, I was wondering if there is an alternative to the ford sierra rear disk hubs that use bolt on driveshafts, not push in. Something similar would be ideal that I could bolt to my own upright design.
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I though sierra disc hubs had bolt on shafts? I used the stub axle and hub in my MX5 rear uprights for exactly that purpose. They are xr4x4 shafts though, are they different ?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

britishtrident

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sippingdiesel
As the title suggests, I was wondering if there is an alternative to the ford sierra rear disk hubs that use bolt on driveshafts, not push in. Something similar would be ideal that I could bolt to my own upright design.

The Sierra set up the easiest to adapt.

The other solution is to get tubes machine ton accept the wheel bearings and live stub axle from your donor and fabricate you upright around that, this was the way it was done in the pre-Sierra days.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sippingdiesel

posted on 6/1/11 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the confusion, what I meant is there an alternative manufactures bolt on driveshaft rear hub/carrier setup to the sierra bolt on driveshaft rear hub/carrier setup.
interestedparty

posted on 6/1/11 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sippingdiesel
Sorry for the confusion, what I meant is there an alternative manufactures bolt on driveshaft rear hub/carrier setup to the sierra bolt on driveshaft rear hub/carrier setup.

I'm guesing you mean the bit that carries the bearings, and bolts to the upright, as distinct from Sierra driveshafts which either bolt to, or push into, the differential?

Like the ones at the bottom of this page? http://www.drdracing.co.uk/Rear_End.php

[Edited on 6/1/11 by interestedparty]

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/1/11 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Check out this thread i started on a similar subject it might help.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=145164

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

rossnzwpi

posted on 8/1/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
A very interesting approach to the problem! How did you get the Sierra bits to fit the MX5 rear upright? Does it alter the MX5 geometry?
I'm looking at finding a 5 stud solution to fit to MX5 uprights so I can use Ferrari/Fiat Dino (Cromodora) wheels. These are 108mm x 5 bolts with a centre bore of 58-59mm and a rear wheel drive offset. The Sierra 108mm x 4 could probably be re-drilled to 5 stud, leaving one stud in its original location. I've also checked out the Alfa 166 which, unlike other Alfas, has the right 108mm x 5 and the right centre bore. Volvo and Mondeo are 108 x 5 but different bore. A plus for adapting Alfa parts is a choice of Brembo braking options.
Incidentally Mondeo and Alfa 166 have bolt-on bearing carriers at the front (driven wheels)
cheers
Ross in NZ

interestedparty

posted on 9/1/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rossnzwpi
. Volvo and Mondeo are 108 x 5 but different bore. A plus for adapting Alfa parts is a choice of Brembo braking options.
Incidentally Mondeo and Alfa 166 have bolt-on bearing carriers at the front (driven wheels)
cheers

The Mk 2 Ford Mondeo (up to 2000) has 4 stud wheel, then when the Mk 3 came out they went to 5 stud. But there are no bolt on bearing carriers at the front, I'm afraid. The bearings have to be pressed into the steering knuckle (upright).

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

rossnzwpi

posted on 9/1/11 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
OOps, yes - I meant the Alfa front wheel drive has a bolt on bearing/carrier for the front upright. this could could be useful in a locost setup,
cheers
Ross

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.