Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Galvanizing Costs
BigDawgV8

posted on 9/1/11 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis Galvanizing Costs

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a chassis galvanised.

It's not a space-frame, more like a 1/2 scale Land Rover ladder frame.

Anyone know what the going rate for galvanising this would be?

Thanks again.

Martin

s6otty

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Work on about £80 - £120, better if you can get it done as a cash job, as most Galvanizers have a minimum order value of somewhere near that!

One other thing - make sure every hollow section is vented! Otherwise you'll be in for a shock!

Scott

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 9/1/11 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by s6otty
Work on about £80 - £120, better if you can get it done as a cash job, as most Galvanizers have a minimum order value of somewhere near that!

One other thing - make sure every hollow section is vented! Otherwise you'll be in for a shock!

Scott

at least a 13 mm hole....or kapow

s6otty

posted on 9/1/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Oh Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dangle_kt

posted on 9/1/11 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
I remember reading about hot dip galv possibly leading to twists in metal work, could it happen to the chassis or is it too well braced?

Worth k owing. Probably not a problem, but thought I ask.

coyoteboy

posted on 10/1/11 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, generally accepted answer is "dont do it" due to the thermal stresses involved.
mad4x4

posted on 10/1/11 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
OOOH - back to the Galvi Thread -

Here goes- Look at ZINGA www.zinga.co.uk - Five years on and chassis is still like NEW

[Edited on 10/101/11 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

balidey

posted on 10/1/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
OK, most people know about the thermal / twisting problem and the vented section / explosion problem, but there is another consideration that could hit your wallet.
If there is a vented section you need it vented well at both ends. One reason is to let air out and zinc in, but you also need to let the zinc drain out again. Same with open sections like channels, depending on how its hung when its dipped you can get a huge build up zinc in the corners if its not got holes or clearance notches.
This is a big problem as your part is weighed before dipping and then after dipping and you are charged for the weight difference, ie how much zinc you are using. And if you 'fill up' a chassis it gets veeerryy expensive.

Best thing you can do is speak to your galvanisers first, they will advise best places for vent holes, drain holes, hanging holes and if any extra bracing may need adding and where. And ask for their price on hole drilling as if you miss off a hole and it needs drilling just before they dip it they will do it for you...... usually at a very high price.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

mcerd1

posted on 10/1/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ what he said

I was shown a cobra chassis (boxed ladder type) that hadn't been vented properly and one side had worked, but the other had about 30-40kg of zinc stuck in it
they had put quite a few holes in but not enough, as alot depends on how hold it when they dip it...

best to talk to the place your going to use and see what they recommend before you spend any money
this lists most of the ones in this country: Galvanizers Association

-

Bluemoon

posted on 10/1/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, don't discount hot zinc spray, less distortion same protection (but you can obovoulsy NOT coat surfaces that can't be sprayed). Costs were comparable to powder coating when I looked 5 years ago. Wish I had done this, but I needed to do some welding during construction so just went for good paints.. If I ever strip back to the chassis I will do this then..

Dan

The Black Flash

posted on 26/1/11 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Yup, generally accepted answer is "dont do it" due to the thermal stresses involved.

Aye, this is the advice I was given by a galvanising firm when I looked into it.

alfas

posted on 21/2/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
if done properly it works perfect..even with a spaceframe chassis.

have done mine...no distortion at all...and no rust for ever!!!!

[Edited on 21/2/11 by alfas]

wilkingj

posted on 26/2/11 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Nowt wrong with a sandblast and then painting, or even powder coating.

The finish and quality is ALWAYS dependent on the quality of the prep work. Hence the sandblast to give a good clean surface for the Paint or Powder coating to key into.

What ever you end up doing, do it properly, and right first time.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alfas

posted on 26/2/11 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
if you go for powder coat, visit certain companies in advance and ask them how they do the coating.

powdercoating is not applied directly on the bare metal surface. that has been done in the past and therefore most of the 90ies chassiss the coating started flaking after a view years or even earlier. if the company is still working like that its a direct walk-away!!!!

today the powder is applicated after a mechanical cleaning process (typical blasting), followed by chemical cleaning, than a conversion layer (typical for ferro-metal surfaces is zinc-phosphating) and finally the powdercoating.

if one of these steps is missing, especially the phosphating, the powder coat will not last and its a straight walk-away from that company.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.