Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost using BMW E39 540 running gear
Estateman

posted on 12/1/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Locost using BMW E39 540 running gear

Hello Im a newbe, and would like to ask a few questions regarding building a locost.

I have owned my E39 540 fitted with the M62 4.4 V8 for several years now. However, last month the auto gearbox decided to stop working in reverse. Instead of replacing the box or having it repaired I've been given the green light from the wife to use it for building a kitcar.

There are however, a few questions I would like to ask.

Q1. Can a BMW V8 be fitted into the small space of a locost?

Q2. Can I use the running gear (rear axle, steering, propshaft, wheels) from the donar car?

Q3. Am I completly mad for deciding to do this?

speedyxjs

posted on 12/1/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the madhouse!

Answers to your questions:

Yes
Yes
Yes

Chassis may need some mods but im running a full Jag running gear so its all possible

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

blakep82

posted on 12/1/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
welcome along

1, are you going to build the chassis yourself? or buy one pre built? if you build yourself, anything's possible (see speedyxjs posts on here) pre build, the likes of Leugo should have a suitable chassis

2, hard to say. prop will definitely be too long, the whole suspension sub frame will probably be too heavy, but the diff and rear hubs could be used. there are people on here using E36 M3 doners

3, yes, but it will be awesome we're all mad too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

UncleFista

posted on 12/1/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

vinny1275

posted on 12/1/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
There's a guy on here (AeroSam?) who was doing a build with the same engine. The difficulty's in finding a manual box to fit, afaik. I did see an E36 Coupe with one of these engines mated to the manual box at a track day, and it was pretty awesome....

Miks15

posted on 12/1/11 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it!

As said aerosam was doing it, just checked his user and he seems to have left the forum. But still a few pics in his archive to look at.

As for other BMW users, there are a few about using the GKD kit which is based on the E36. I am using E36 running gear on a custom project. I dont know if any of the parts are the same between E39 and E36 but might be similar. So any specific questions id be happy to try and help.

One website i can recomend is www.realoem.com.

It has drawings and part numbers of all BMW parts.

interestedparty

posted on 12/1/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

Chassis may need some mods but im running a full Jag running gear so its all possible

True, but yours is a canted straight 6, a DOHC V8 is going to need a bit more room.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

speedyxjs

posted on 12/1/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

True, but yours is a canted straight 6, a DOHC V8 is going to need a bit more room.

True but i made mine slightly longer so im sure it could be made slightly wider without too much trouble. That is of course if the op is meking his own chassis

TQ_uk

posted on 12/1/11 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
There's a guy on here (AeroSam?) who was doing a build with the same engine. The difficulty's in finding a manual box to fit, afaik. I did see an E36 Coupe with one of these engines mated to the manual box at a track day, and it was pretty awesome....

There's an article in the latest issue of PPC about the BMW V8 - don't have it to hand but as vinny said, its finding a manual box to suit... will have a look when i get home & see what it said (Supra springs to mind, but via an adaptor)

bonzoronnie

posted on 12/1/11 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
You'll find Sams blog on the link bellow

Sams locost blog

Definately can be done if you have the desire

Liam

posted on 12/1/11 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hello and welcome!

Really really really not sure about that BMW thing UncleFista posted! (check out its arse in the archive). Certainly interesting though - each to his own and all that

Aerosam's looks like it still resembles a seven despite shoehorning the V8 in there - good job. Shame there are no photos on his blog

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 12/1/11 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Really really really not sure about that BMW thing UncleFista posted! (check out its arse in the archive). Certainly interesting though - each to his own and all that

Wow! Like the idea but not sure it works!

Simon

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Shame there are no photos on his blog

There are, you have to go through to the older posts.

This should inspire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmEJMeeueoQ

Welcome, by the way

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 12/1/11 by Simon]

stevebubs

posted on 12/1/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TQ_uk
quote:

There's an article in the latest issue of PPC about the BMW V8 - don't have it to hand but as vinny said, its finding a manual box to suit... will have a look when i get home & see what it said (Supra springs to mind, but via an adaptor)

Ahem - can you not get a manual box from a manual v8 Beemer.....

TQ_uk

posted on 13/1/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by TQ_uk
quote:

Ahem - can you not get a manual box from a manual v8 Beemer.....

Yes, but believe auto was far more prolific, so finding a manual donor may be tricky - completely forgot to dig out article.
Will tie a knot in my trunk....

ettore bugatti

posted on 13/1/11 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Why not try to create a Z8 replica?

The body is available:
http://www.allkitcars.com/bmw-z8-roadster-replica-full-body-kit-for-sale/

And a spaceframe/ ladder frame is easily constructed with the parts at hand

JoelP

posted on 14/1/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
im not too keen on the look of the BM either, but bugger me he's done a good job of making it all.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

aerosam

posted on 14/1/11 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
As has been mentioned I don't post here any more but somebody flagged this thread up to me and I thought one quick post won't hurt. Hope "the boss" or his minions aren't looking.

Q1. Can a BMW V8 be fitted into the small space of a locost?

Yes - in a +4 chassis.

Q2. Can I use the running gear (rear axle, steering, propshaft, wheels) from the donar car?

rear axle - yes, with chassis modifications
steering - no, it's a steering box not a rack and it sits behind the wheels not in front.
propshaft - yes, with modifications.
wheels - rear yes, front no.

Q3. Am I completly mad for deciding to do this?

absolutely not - it's your own car so make it as mad as you like.

Ive sent a u2u with my contact email, feel free to email me with any questions.

kb58

posted on 14/1/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, some bad feeling flowing there...

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.