Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rumours or fact how to clarify.
big_wasa

posted on 15/1/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Rumours or fact how to clarify.

After this post, link and having read the article in the CBS catalogue. How do I find out the truth ? The last revision of the Iva manual I can Find on line says nothing of static three point belts not being acceptable but there is lots of info on three point belts in general.
Can I just ring My local vosa test centre ie Nottingham ? Any one got the number ? Anyone got there Iva soon and can ask for me ?

Is there another way to find out.

I am not going to present it and pay £500+ if that’s a fail and to be honest I have no inclination to make more chassis alterations.

Yours, the last straw wasa.

graememk

posted on 15/1/11 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
the westie type approved car as 3 point belts

austin man

posted on 15/1/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
normal cars have 3 point mountings so cant see that 4 point is a requirement, would think the main requirement is down to the structural integrity of the mounting and being able to prove it. photo evidence visual etc. I failes SVA initially when I mounter my belt to the roll bar, theexaminer felt that therewas movement in the roll bar so I had to weld an additional brace in place.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Myke 2463

posted on 15/1/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
vosa Nottingham Enquiry line 0300 123 9000 The westy 3 point belts in an old catalogue i have were retractable.

Good luck with the test.

Be Lucky Mike.

Macbeast

posted on 16/1/11 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Yes the manual DOES say 3 point belts have to be retractable. Harnesses do not.

IVA Version 5.02 18/10/10

[Edited on 16/1/11 by Macbeast]

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

adithorp

posted on 16/1/11 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
I think people are getting mixed up between 3point (lap+diagonal) seat belts and 3point harnesses.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

big_wasa

posted on 16/1/11 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
mine are seatbelts. ie static lap and diagonal. Proper belts sold by securon and fully adjustable. I will see if I can find the above manual revision and check that paragraph.

cheers

Ive got a few ideas but ive about lost interest. Ithink I will try and get a few track days in, instead.

iank

posted on 16/1/11 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
mine are seatbelts. ie static lap and diagonal. Proper belts sold by securon and fully adjustable. I will see if I can find the above manual revision and check that paragraph.

cheers

Ive got a few ideas but ive about lost interest. Ithink I will try and get a few track days in, instead.

Just pull some inertia belts out of something in the scrap yard, replace with your nice ones after the test if you want.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

big_wasa

posted on 16/1/11 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Not as simple as that as the reals are designed to work at a specific angle.

securon do one that will work but that brings new problems of edges with mounting the real on a 7.

loggyboy

posted on 16/1/11 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I think people are getting mixed up between 3point (lap+diagonal) seat belts and 3point harnesses.

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

cheers

Valid point by adi

Having re-read the section for the 6th time, the only wording I could find that may argue that 3 point seat belts arent classed as a 3 point 'harness' is the discription 'an acceptable alternative to any of the seat belt types listed is an adult harness belt comprising a lap belt and shoulder straps providing the anchorages satisfy section 19'
The emphasis being on the 'Straps not strap(s)'.
If it is considered that a harness must have more than one shoulder strap then you could well need to rethink your setup.

Its also worded similarly in the Glossary
Harness Belt
Means an adult belt which is a harness belt compromising a lap belt and shoulder straps.

Seems very onerous to me though, and as you have suggested, a call to the test centre (or an email to vosa?) may well be the only way to conclude the issue.

[Edited on 16/1/11 by loggyboy]

BenTyreman

posted on 16/1/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
The minimum requirement for a front outboard seat is a 3 point retractor belt. Table note 3 clearly defines this as a lapbelt and a diagonal part with a retractor acting on the diagonal part. Table note 4 then says that an acceptable alternative to any of the belts listed in the table is an adult harness, comprising a lapbelt and shoulder straps. Notes 5 and 6 acknowledge the design of what they call a "harness" The only requirement is that the anchorages satisfy section 19. I can't see anything in section 19 that would omit a 3 point harness.
loggyboy

posted on 16/1/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
As mentioned above, this isnt a query about Harnesses, its a query about static seatbelts. IF and its a big IF, the IVA test/VOSA interprets that a 3 point static seabelt cannot be classed as a Harness.
big_wasa

posted on 17/1/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so ive phoned vosa. I wasnt able to speak with a tester and thay had no specific info and said to try emailing.
big_wasa

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I cant be arsed with emails so ive took the plung and choped the diagonal out of the roll bar and am picking up some new steel to put a bar across to take some four points.

Ive also stripped the the roll bar for a repaint.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.