Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: help wanted... I think i've reached the 'fed up' stage of my build
locostbuyer83

posted on 24/1/11 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
help wanted... I think i've reached the 'fed up' stage of my build

.... I think I've got to that stage now where you "can't be bothered with the whole project any more".

Does anyone fancy coming and lending a hand for a couple of hours one weekend? I was hoping to finish the car and get it tested for the summer (2011) but I'm about 95% done and its been like that for a while now.

Think I just need that final push to get it ready for the test.

snapper

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
When I go through the fed up stage I set myself easy to achieve jobs, I feel better when I do the simple ones then have a renewed vigour for the next task.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

handyandy

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, been at the same stage myself, A few local builders helped me back on track .

Great suggestion from Snapper, finishing the odd smaller job makes you feel like you are achieving something on the build, you,ll have it finished in no time at all then,

If I was closer I,d happily lend a hand , sadly too far away tho.

All the best for the completion of your car

cheers
andy

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2755
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Would love to help but currently have my own car spread around the garage and no enthusiasm to do it.
As said though write a list of things to do and do some of the easy ones ,once you start crossing them off i found i got more keen to do more (until now of course lol)

Thurbs

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I know how you feel i'm 90% done but the existing 10% is taking 90% of the time !!!!
As stated above I made a list of every job some small some large and I'm ticking them off one by one.
The most frustrating thing at the moment is doing things to satisfy IVA which I don't want or really need.
Sorry I can't be more practical help, keep going.

blakep82

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
whatever you do, don;t sell up!
seeing too much of that lately. you'll get back on track soon,

as above, set some easy tasks to do, i tried that, bought an RC boat to rebuild from someone on here, its got a paint job, but not yet rebuilt lol, taking longer than it should... but the paint job alone has built my enthusiasm back up and i've been doing stuff to the truck again

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

locostbuyer83

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've done all the small jobs and there is basically two things that need doing...

1, The fuel tank leaks, I've had two people weld it up and it still leaks (see my other post)

2, The cycle wing mounts from MK are crap and don't fit the wings from mk so I need to cut and weld them and I don't have any welding gas - my regulator is faulty and when you connect one of those tiny gas bottles it just leaks = £15 down the toilet.
Need to find a source for a full size gas bottle.

I've got all the body re sprayed and ready to fit but because of those two problems I'm stuck.

Think I just need someone to give me a kick back into it.

.. oh and I chipped my brand new paintwork with an air tool yesterday! think that spoiled my day! Doh!

steve m

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I think most builders on here have experanced some form of lull, i know i did, so i put a new kitchen in,kept Wifey happy and a new patio (in the garden, not kitchen!)

i also would go out in the garage and have a MAJOR declutter, tidy up etc

It does pay to have a list, and tick off, when achieved,
I also believe that even though you are at the 90% mark, the last 10% (more like40%) is the most difficult and tedious

From my photo records and dates, i thought my build would be a year, but those last few jobs to do took a year

So two years in total

Keep with it, and have a couple of weeks rest

good luck

Steve

jacko

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
It's a good job you lot don't build kitcars for a living pull your finger out and get on with it SUMMER will soon be here
JUST DO IT
will that do as a kick up your back side

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locostbuyer83

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I think most builders on here have experanced some form of lull, i know i did, so i put a new kitchen in,kept Wifey happy and a new patio (in the garden, not kitchen!)

i also would go out in the garage and have a MAJOR declutter, tidy up etc

It does pay to have a list, and tick off, when achieved,
I also believe that even though you are at the 90% mark, the last 10% (more like40%) is the most difficult and tedious

From my photo records and dates, i thought my build would be a year, but those last few jobs to do took a year

So two years in total

Keep with it, and have a couple of weeks rest

good luck

Steve

cheers for you comments steve.

Thanks guys I'll get back on it. Its not getting sold. Its getting finished.

myke pocock

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with SteveM. The finish of SVA certainly concentrated my mind and I too compiled a list of TO DO items to tick off. I did find that I added a few more but it was great to see the ticks start to mount up and the empty boxes disappear. Stand in front of the mirror, big grin on yer mush and say to yourself that the grin you will have when it passes the test will be twice as big!!!
David Jenkins

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Everyone gets to that stage (in my case, several times!).

In the end, I just made a point of going out and doing SOMETHING in the garage - even if it was just 10-15 minutes of effort. Even spending 10 minutes prepping for a bigger job is worth doing - clearing a space to do the work, cleaning parts, gathering required parts into one location, or making sure the bits will fit together when you come to do the job properly... it all helps.

This is a rough time to be working in the garage, as it's usually cold, gloomy and generally miserable (unless you're VERY fortunate!). I always look forward to spring, when the garage front door is wide open and the sun is streaming in. Makes everything so much easier!

As for gas - can you get to Margate easily? (my geography's rubbish outside East Anglia). There you will find Adams Gas (It think that's their name) who can supply a rental-free bottle of welding gas.

[Edited on 24/1/11 by David Jenkins]

jacko

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys I'll get back on it. Its not getting sold. Its getting finished.

Good man get in the garage then
3 hours left tonight before bed

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2755
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Happily lend you my full size mig bottle so you can do your welding and also have a top man for welding ally tanks
Also have one of the tiny mig bottles and regulator if needed.

tomgregory2000

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Get a radio in the garage!!!

It makes a huge difference if you have some tunes on while you work

steve m

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
A radio is a very good call, but since i put a telly, and all on its own saterlite box in there, my productivity has declined !!

But dont worry to much, as im already for the MOT when the weather picks up

Steve

AndyW

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
Get a radio in the garage!!!

It makes a huge difference if you have some tunes on while you work

Very True, i have an old ipod and dock out there and if an album finishes i find I stop working, put something else on and I start again.

SWMBO wants to know why its not the same with housework.........she will never understand.....bless her

blakep82

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
i go out and spend much of friday night in the garage with radio 1 one 12 hours of dance music and i'm happy
saturdays i go out, bloody RnB nonsense on radio 1, thats what 1 extra was made for...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
The bottom line is it is not a good idea to sell. So walk away for a while. Have a holiday, let yer trousers down.
Don't panic about getting it ready this summer, aim for next summer.
It WILL be worth it, think how many folk you know who have actually built a car!

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
PS. when I reached the dark night of the soul stage, I bought a sub-woofer on Ebay! It makes Dark side of the moon even better!!
wilkingj

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Get some one to take you for a blast in a finished car, it will give you the boost you need!.
AS said above, small jobs, or little and often, then it will get done.
We have all been thru this stage, so DONT SELL up. you would regret it after getting this far with it.

Take it slowly, and a little bit at a time, You will get there.

OR....
Sell it to me for £50

Just dont give up.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Triton

posted on 24/1/11 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locostbuyer83
I've done all the small jobs and there is basically two things that need doing...

1, The fuel tank leaks, I've had two people weld it up and it still leaks (see my other post)

2, The cycle wing mounts from MK are crap and don't fit the wings from mk so I need to cut and weld them and I don't have any welding gas - my regulator is faulty and when you connect one of those tiny gas bottles it just leaks = £15 down the toilet.
Need to find a source for a full size gas bottle.

I've got all the body re sprayed and ready to fit but because of those two problems I'm stuck.

Think I just need someone to give me a kick back into it.

.. oh and I chipped my brand new paintwork with an air tool yesterday! think that spoiled my day! Doh!

Give the lads at Mac1 a call they do some good wing brackets then a few whiskys and off yer go get that car done

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Steve Hignett

posted on 24/1/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just the same suggestion from me, but with a slight twist.

I am a list guy, so I have to say you've got get a list of items/jobs left to finish the car.

And then, for the twist, if you need the kick up the backside, put the list up on here and ask "us" which job you should tackle next. It'll be like sharing the job

And just get on with it...

locostbuyer83

posted on 24/1/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Just the same suggestion from me, but with a slight twist.

I am a list guy, so I have to say you've got get a list of items/jobs left to finish the car.

And then, for the twist, if you need the kick up the backside, put the list up on here and ask "us" which job you should tackle next. It'll be like sharing the job

And just get on with it...

Lol, I like that idea. I'm gonna make a list...

Rob WM

posted on 24/1/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I definately met that monster! It took me a year to drive it and two more o finish it! I just lost interest and couldn't see the end. I would definately recommend the list but also get out to a local meet, show or manufacturer and go for a blast, it will get you going again. Even buy a new tool that you have wanted for a while and then think of an excuse to use it!

As for those MK wing brackets I know what you mean, however if you just want them done get out a plumbers blow torch, heat them up and bend them into shape. A couple of tool marks won't be visable once filed and powder coated. I think they look great on my car and if you don't like them for any reason you can always change them once you have passed the IVA or when you think you want to work on the car again.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.