Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost Spherical Bearing/Polly Bush alternative.
britishtrident

posted on 29/1/11 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Locost Spherical Bearing/Polly Bush alternative.

Helping a friend with a Vauxhall Vectra B rear suspension I discovered the rear upper track control arm on these uses a spherical bearing as the outer bush --- complete with dust seals. I have since discovered these bearings are available as aftermarket replacements which are dirt cheap.

VAUXHALL VECTRA B REAR SUSPENSION ROSE BUSH 95-03 x4 on eBay (end time 17-Feb-11 09:32:45 GMT)

[Edited on 29/1/11 by britishtrident]

andrew-theasby

posted on 29/1/11 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Any dimensions?
alistairolsen

posted on 31/1/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Dirst cheap aftermarket replacements are available because they sell thousands because they basically dont work in that environment and wear at an alarming rate! They are also fairly big and heavy for what they are

My Build Thread

coyoteboy

posted on 21/3/11 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Curious comment - they work as lower control arm bushes on the ST185 and last approximately 125 - 150K miles on a 1400kg 200hp 4wd no problem?
alistairolsen

posted on 21/3/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
The same item, or something which looks a little bit similar?

My Build Thread

coyoteboy

posted on 21/3/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Not the same part number, but full booted spherical joints...
Toyota

Vectra:

Unless I mis-read your post intention?

[Edited on 21/3/11 by coyoteboy]

TimC

posted on 21/3/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I hesitate to say this, as I'm bound to get it wrong, but I THINK Procomp use a similar kind of joint but smaller/lighter/neater.

alistairolsen

posted on 21/3/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
The vectra ones are the only ones of which I have specific experience and were the ones mentioned in this thread. To put it lightly theyre crap and the internet is full of reports of early failure, as is any vauxhall garage. Im not saying the principal of a joint of that type is poor, but I wouldnt put that particular vectra component near ANYTHING I was designing from scratch.

My Build Thread

coyoteboy

posted on 21/3/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I getcha, I read it as "sphericals shouldn't be used in that location".

They're damned expensive from Toyota, might show a quality difference too I suppose (£35 each)

phelpsa

posted on 21/3/11 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
I hesitate to say this, as I'm bound to get it wrong, but I THINK Procomp use a similar kind of joint but smaller/lighter/neater.

They were using high quality polyurethane bushes when I was up there in the summer.

I was looking at the joints on my MR2 and having similar thoughts (pretty sure they're the same part as the celica ones). Any ideas on cost?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 21/3/11 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'd not be going near poly bushes - well known for turning your car into a boat (at least with the GT4s), if they have developed something as a replacement it would be nice.
phelpsa

posted on 21/3/11 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I'd not be going near poly bushes - well known for turning your car into a boat (at least with the GT4s), if they have developed something as a replacement it would be nice.

If the correct grade of polyurethane is selected for the application then they can offer the perfect solution. Too stiff for the application will be harsh and will wear very quickly, to soft and it can make it less communicative that a rubber bushing.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 21/3/11 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing handles like the correct spherical - it should not have translation in any axis, only rotation, otherwise it throws out the suspension geometry. Poly won't cut it, it's been tried and tested over and over.

On the back of the Four it [non-constrained bushes like poly] allows the wheel to effectively have free-play in the toe settings for each wheel, which makes it do scary stuff and wear the inner edge of the tyres VERY fast.

phelpsa

posted on 21/3/11 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Nothing handles like the correct spherical - it should not have translation in any axis, only rotation, otherwise it throws out the suspension geometry. Poly won't cut it, it's been tried and tested over and over.

On the back of the Four it [non-constrained bushes like poly] allows the wheel to effectively have free-play in the toe settings for each wheel, which makes it do scary stuff and wear the inner edge of the tyres VERY fast.

You need to consider what all the other bushes are doing around the toe link....

coyoteboy

posted on 21/3/11 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I am, and adding more flex to the whole structure is a mistake. I'm not saying it for the fun of it, it's a proven point by both amateurs and professional rally prep guys alike. Many have tried the poly bushes assuming the advice is wrong/misguided, and found it was the worst "upgrade" they had ever done, then subsequently gone back. Of course there have been people who have no understanding of vehicle feel and handling and are perfectly happy with them.

Ever had the trailing arm bushes go on your 205, giving you variable camber ? It's a similar sensation to that.

Frosty

posted on 22/3/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm glad someone else here has a logical view on poly bushes.

FEZ1025

posted on 10/3/15 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry if this a thread revival but did anyone ever find an alternative for the 36mm Toyota spherical/rose joint?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.