Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec thermostat housing? (Again)
Jasongray5

posted on 31/1/11 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec thermostat housing? (Again)

Hi guys,
Right, first off, sorry if this has been covered before, Ive searched on here and the internet in general, but cant find a definate answer to my question.
What I want to know is, instead of using the normal bypass on the zetec, is there anything to stop me using where the heater hose usually connects to, then block the bypass. So basically, is the connection that goes to the heater in normal fitment, a bypass aswell?
The engine is a Zetec blacktop, and the thermostat is the one with only one sensor connection.
I appologize for this lack of basic knowledge of my install,
Cheers, Jas Gray

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

r1_pete

posted on 31/1/11 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
It sound as though it should work, but, if I remember back to my blacktop, as the thermostat opens, it closes the bypass - thats what the disc on the back of the stat is for.

I used a raceline water rail, and, other than the heater take off there was no bypass, so I drilled a 2mm hole in the thermostat to allow water to flow enough to open the thermostat. Drove about a 1000 miles with no problems and a normal warm up, I sold the car to a guy down south, and his 250 mile drive went without a hitch.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasongray5

posted on 31/1/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Pete!
Didnt realise that the bypass closes!
In that case, I think I will need to block off the heater like most others and use the propper bypass, or like you say, drill a 2mm hole in the bugger!
Cheers again

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

big_wasa

posted on 31/1/11 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yep stat controls bypass. If you try and use the heater output as a bypass the engine will never get up to tempreture.
Dusty

posted on 31/1/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
There are two smaller bypasses from the tstat housing. With the engine in your car the right /drivers/offside one does heater and does not close. The left/kerb/passenger side one is the warm-up bypass and is closed off by the stat when the engine gets hot. I run with the warm-up side blanked off and use the heater as a bypass. Been fine for last three years. No overheating problems on summer trackdays but have had problems on the rolling road when mapping full throttle and 6000+ it needs cool-off periods!
Better add this has worked for me, might not for you! Perhaps the mini heater has enough of a restrictor effect that flow through it is low enough to allow normal running temps.

[Edited on 31/1/11 by Dusty]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.