Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing underseal
ChrisW

posted on 31/1/11 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Removing underseal

Been scraping away at the underseal on my XR2 project for three evenings now and getting really fed up with it.

It's really rubbery stuff. I originally thought a heat gun and scraper would get it off, but it's either too cool and just comes off in thin slithers, or too hot, gives off loads of nasty smoke and you end up just pushing the sticky melted rubber around. Either way, it's not effective at getting it clean, just smearing residue all over the place.

I've taken to it with the grinder and wire brush 'cup' attachment. It's working, but it's bloody hard work and the noise is really upsetting the Mrs, let alone the neighbours. Also, the heat from the grinder causes the rubber to melt and smoke, plus I can't get the tool into all the nooks and crannies, so it's far from ideal.

So, are there any techniques I've missed for making this job even slightly more pleasant?

Someone suggested steam cleaning would get it off. We've got one of those diesel heated industrial Karchers at work I could probably borrow, but it'd be a nightmare to get the car outside so I'd want to be sure it would work. I'm suspicious of how effective it would be if I'm honest, and it'd be a lot of hassle to find out.

Will paint stripper get it off?

Any other bright ideas before I go mad?

I'll upload some pics to my archive if anyone is interested. The one of the front wheel arch shows best how difficult it is to get into the intricate bits!

Cheers, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fozzie

posted on 1/2/11 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Mr Percy Veerance .....

You are doing very well I've seen the pictures !!!!......this sort of prep is a thankless task, but one that needs to be done....
and one that requires patience and determination...

You have got so much further than the pics of yesterday ... it is a messy stinky job.....but boy o boy will it be worth it
when the car is done ...mucho job satisfaction ....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

James

posted on 1/2/11 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
No expert but could you get it shot blasted?

Either trailer it somewhere what does the work or borrow a shot blasting machine.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

r1_pete

posted on 1/2/11 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
I've been doing exactly the same with the e type this weekend, I find that heating the opposite side of the metal gives best results, really needs two people, but it does break the bond without, as you say making the underseal turn into thick sticky treacle.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 1/2/11 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
When I used to spend my spare time removing rust from Alfasuds I used to use a blowtorch and burn it off - probably not very healthy though, and highly likely to set the car on fire so I'm not advising you should do it. It works though.

Stu

ChrisW

posted on 1/2/11 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. The main issue is that I can't get into all the places with the grinder - the head is just too big. I could take the guard off I guess which would help a little, but that's just asking for problems. I'm already getting hit in the face with bits of flying underseal (yes, I've got goggles on before anyone asks!) so I figure it's a bit risky.

I did think that a blow torch might be better than the heat gun. Maybe a trip to B&Q at lunchtime is in order.

Chris

bimbleuk

posted on 1/2/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think the heat from the other side sounds a good method and I'll try that myself on the sound deadening stuff too.

Possibly try dry ice (freeze it thenhit it!) as this can work well on the sound deadening material except I didn't find a cheap source near me when I looked.

Otherwise maybe a tool similar to the one in the link below.

Seal/Seam cleaner tool

ChrisW

posted on 1/2/11 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
That tool is very similar to the cup attachment I have for the grinder.

Dry ice... bit difficult to get hold of I suspect!!

Does anyone think the heated Karcher would work? Is it worth lugging it all the way home to find out?

Cheers, Chris

rusty nuts

posted on 1/2/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I tend to use a sharp wood chisel some times with a hammer . beware using a blow lamp, hot underseal HURTS

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.