Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

iceman26

posted on 31/1/11 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
for budget tyres i would go for federal tyres
bbwales

posted on 31/1/11 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
I put bandag on my Seat Alhambra and they gave me another 10K miles and were better in the wet than the suggested Michelins.

Bob

blakep82

posted on 1/2/11 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
had nankang on my 328 when i bought it,they were sh!te

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 1/2/11 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
I had some kumho v70a's on my first Indy, a great tyre, on par with the toyo R888's.
MakeEverything

posted on 1/2/11 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
Depends how youre going to drive it.

Ive used Nankang, Falken, Hankook and all range of other nameless budget tyres and theyre all the same in a sensible car on a sensible drive.

Im planning on budgets for the rear of my kit when its finished (to start with), purely because im going to behave like a schoolboy and put a big fat pair of lines on the drive.
Once the novelty wears off or i throw a driveshaft or something, then ill change them to better performance tyres.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

speedyxjs

posted on 1/2/11 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
For budget tyres, i had Nexen on my tintop. Did over 20k and only had to change them as one of the track rods is bent and cause them to wear excessively on the inside. The rest of them had 5mm left!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mookaloid

posted on 1/2/11 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I don't drive the tin top hard - can't afford the fuel! so I'm really looking for the ones that last longest I suppose

bigandy

posted on 1/2/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've got Falken Ziex Ze912 tyres on my Fabia vRS. They were less than half the price of the original Continental Sport Contact 2's. They are not as good, but I quite like them for the money. They are great in the dry, but not quite as grippy in the wet as the Contis. They also tend to last a few thousand miles less per set (say 22000 vs 25000). They a bit quieter than the contis though....

Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

hobbsy

posted on 1/2/11 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Its a bit of sweeping statement but if they are the same money I'd take the Falkens over Nang Kangs.
loggyboy

posted on 1/2/11 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Was impressed with wear and grip (considering price) on the Falken 912s ive had on a few tintops.

Put them on the wifes fiesta ST which had pirellis on before, there was a noticeble difference especially in wet, the falkens let go a little sooner, but considering they were a 3rd of the price of the equiv pirrellis, it was acceptable IMO.

I put Kumhos on the front of my Volvo in May (Tyre dealer was out of stock of Falkens!) again, pirellis were standard. These did not feel anywhere near as good in the wet, (especially with pirellis still on the rear). They didnt last that well either, they only had 3mm or so left when I swapped to winters in November (so about 10k miles on the kumhos). I currently have a Contis Wintercontacts that I bought part worn (4x 5mm for £120) that seem quite good, but will defo be trying a different set of winters next year.
Come March I will be going back to either falkens (or pirellis/mich/goodyear etc if I can find them cheap enough).

MikeRJ

posted on 1/2/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
Its a bit of sweeping statement but if they are the same money I'd take the Falkens over Nang Kangs.

Me too, but the actual model of tyre makes a big difference. The Falken FK452 is an excellent budget high performance tyre and the ZE912 is a pretty good all round "comfort" tyre. They have made some stinkers though, the old ZE502's I had on the front of my MR2 were appalling.

The Toyo T1R's are also very good tyres for lighter cars, however they have relatively soft sidewalls which don't suit some cars (especially heavy cars).

blakep82

posted on 1/2/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
i ditched the nankangs on my car and got Sava Intensa, made by good year, and i find them very good

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

flak monkey

posted on 1/2/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I run Falken ZE912's on my Leon FR and I am impressed with their grip and life.

I dont drive that slowly most of the time, yet they give me 15k miles life but dont spin up every time you plant your foot to the floor in 2nd gear. Which with 280lbft on tap is pretty good I would say...

Plus they are some of the best tyres I have driven on in the snow. So I would recommend them for a tintop, no hesitation.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

alistairolsen

posted on 1/2/11 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Kumho KU31 get my vote

My Build Thread

mookaloid

posted on 1/2/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Gone for the ZE912 - £291 for a set of four delivered compared with £324 from Mytyres.co.uk

The Kumho's look good but twice the price and nobody seems to like nankangs so I'll see how they go.

Thanks guys

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.