Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PLug welding discs 5 stud to 4 stud conversion
jimgiblett

posted on 1/2/11 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
PLug welding discs 5 stud to 4 stud conversion

I am wanting to use some vented discs on my old 1967 Alfa project car. The dimensions are ideal but they are 5 stud rather than the desired 4. Many people redrill disks but I was wondering what peoples opinion of plug welding the stud holes before redrilling. Good idea or not?

The PCD is 114.3 x 5 and will be 108x4 so pleanty of distance on all but one stud hole.

The expensive route is a £1000 disc conversion I am looking for a lower cost solution.

Thanks in advance

- Jim

mookaloid

posted on 1/2/11 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Just my gut reaction - I would have thought it would be ok without welding. If you are careful about it and bear in mind which way the disc rotates when drilling the holes so that you don't leave a very thin bit in front of the stud (rotationally), and bearing in mind it will be clamped in place with the wheel anyway.....

Of course I could be wrong.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Chippy

posted on 1/2/11 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
I would say that welding is a definate No No due to heat distortion, you would end up with a very wobbly disc. IMHO Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

mcerd1

posted on 1/2/11 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
I thought most discs were cast iron - that doesn't lend itself to welding easily apart from anything else

so if you've got plety space between the new and old holes then I'd just leave them alone

what car do the new discs come from ?

[Edited on 1/2/2011 by mcerd1]

-

blakep82

posted on 2/2/11 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't go welding brake discs...

http://www.driftworks.com/shop/4-to-5-stud-conversion-25mm-nissan-wheel-spacers.html

think that shows that with some careful drilling, it could work, yes, 2 of the studs are close to the 4/5 stud equivalent (which ever way you look at it) the discs are held by the wheels, 2 of the studs will still hold the disc in the even of the other 2 failing, even then, i doubt both would fail given one is before a hole, the other after the hole. and with a different PCD, there should be a little more meat between the stud and hole than there is in that photo...

careful drilling should do it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Uphill Racer

posted on 2/2/11 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
I brazed mine before re drilling but they are bike disks.

[Edited on 2/2/11 by Uphill Racer]

Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/2/11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Can new discs be that expensive? Personally, when it comes to brakes I would sooner know I have the correct discs (and new ones) fitted rather than have that nagging 'what if?' in the back of my mind whilst driving.

Just my opinion of course

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

phelpsa

posted on 2/2/11 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Can new discs be that expensive? Personally, when it comes to brakes I would sooner know I have the correct discs (and new ones) fitted rather than have that nagging 'what if?' in the back of my mind whilst driving.

Just my opinion of course

Custom discs can be very expensive!

Don't bother welding, just drill. The holes are only there to let the wheel studs poke through, they dont do any locating or anything. Do, however, make sure that the centre bore is the same and the disc is located centrally!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thefreak

posted on 2/2/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have found you can get a clunk from the disks if the PCD on the disk isn't the same as the one on the hub, as the caliper stops the disk and the hub still rotates round.
Custom disks with aluminium bells start from around £250 and go up depending on diameter/thickness. Replacement rotors start around £65 each from memory.

jimgiblett

posted on 2/2/11 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Can new discs be that expensive?

The discs are brand new brembos. The problem is there is no off the shelf "big" discs for my application (1960s Alfa) unless I go for a custom bells and rotors which gets very expensive.

The general consensus seems to be to drill and not plug.

Thanks

Jim

thefreak

posted on 2/2/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Did you get my U2U?
jimgiblett

posted on 2/2/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefreak
I have found you can get a clunk from the disks if the PCD on the disk isn't the same as the one on the hub, as the caliper stops the disk and the hub still rotates round.
Custom disks with aluminium bells start from around £250 and go up depending on diameter/thickness. Replacement rotors start around £65 each from memory.

Fortunately the studs are fixed in the disk and there is a hat which connects to the hub so little chance of movement. The redrilled PCD will be the same as the hub.

The depth of the bell made custom bells expensive and the rotors diameters are not ideal for 15" wheels (ie smaller or much bigger than what I wanted 290mm). There isnt sufficient friction area on the rotors to turn them down to a smaller diameter.

You then have to add on the machining time, NAS nuts and possibly calipers. Caliper compatibility (will probably have to purchase new radial calipers) My route uses ali Mazda RX7 calipers and discs which I already have.

- Jim

thefreak

posted on 2/2/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
There are rotors available in the sizes you're looking at. I believe the RX7 (FD) calipers use a 292x22mm thick front disk with a 67mm offset yes?
Are you making up adaptors to fit the calipers to the hubs? if so are you able to space them out to a 298mm diameter?
Whatever the options, you're looking at a LOT less than £1000

[Edited on 2-2-11 by thefreak]

jimgiblett

posted on 2/2/11 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefreak
Did you get my U2U?

Sorry just picked it up. Have replied.

rossnzwpi

posted on 11/2/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
4 to 5 stud geometry

Hi, My 2 cents worth:

Quote:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
i wouldn't go welding brake discs...

http://www.driftworks.com/shop/4-to-5-stud-conversion-25mm-nissan-wheel-spacers.html

think that shows that with some careful drilling, it could work, yes, 2 of the studs are close to the 4/5 stud equivalent (which ever way you look at it) the discs are held by the wheels, 2 of the studs will still hold the disc in the even of the other 2 failing, even then, i doubt both would fail given one is before a hole, the other after the hole. and with a different PCD, there should be a little more meat between the stud and hole than there is in that photo...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

the photo in the link is about changing from 4 to 5 stud where both have the same PCD. This means that one stud remains in the same place for the swap. If the new PCD is to be different to the original PCD, as per the original question in this thread, then it may not be possible to do.

Just draw it on paper and see how close the new holes need to be!

Cheers
Ross (in NZ)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.