Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Astro Turf / Artificial Lawn, Anyone got one? What do you think?
Antnicuk

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Astro Turf / Artificial Lawn, Anyone got one? What do you think?

Now my workshop is built, i have to fix my back garden as i trashed it with the digger. It was never a very good lawn and if i am going to drive across it to get to the car in the workshop i want something thats either paved or a little more hardy than a natural lawn.

I was wondering, rather than having a strip of paved area all the way down the side of the garden, if Astro turf/artificial lawn would be better. I will only be driving on it very occasionally, maybe once a fortnight in the kit car.
Some of the ones i have seen on the net look quite good but i was wondering if anyone had any real world experiences of it?

many thanks

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

McLannahan

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Neighbours have it. Often look over the fence and think the grass is always greener......

austin man

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
you can buy a mesh that you lay and then seed the laxn the mesh helps to stop the lawn getting chewed up

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

tegwin

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I would not want plastic grass in my garden..

Get some geodesic matting stuff like they use on commercial carparks and pack good quality top soil into it and see with grass....

Will be really really hard wearing and look pretty good too...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

MikeR

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
What they said .... we had lots of people parking on the grass over the kerb to go to the post box. chewed it up into a 6"+ deep ditch. Council refilled it a few times and it kept happening. A couple of years ago they put in the plastic square grid thing. Filled in the grids with soil and added grass seed. People still park, no rut, just nice grass.
Strontium Dog

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
I like to have grass in my garden too! Lol!
Steve Hignett

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
You wouldn't be able to put the grass cuttings in your brown bin if you did that though, so not sure how you'd dispose of them...
Confused but excited.

posted on 8/2/11 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
^

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

pewe

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Don't know if it still applies but the old type astro used to cause quite severe friction burns on knees and elbows.
You might want to consider that before proceeding.
HTH. Cheers, Pewe

David J v v playing ball-games of course! P.

[Edited on 8/2/11 by pewe]

David Jenkins

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Don't know if it still applies but the old type astro used to cause quite severe friction burns on knees and elbows.

Doing what? (he asked cautiously...)

steve m

posted on 8/2/11 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I would like wall to wall and fence to fence concrete painted green

Ideal

hellbent345

posted on 8/2/11 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I used to work for a garden centre that supplied this stuff, it does look good if you get the good stuff, BUT its bloody expensive - £30 sq mtr for the stuff that looks like real grass (even has bits coloured to look like dead grass) but then you have to prepare the ground with sand and edging, get the sealing strip to seal the 2 bits together etc - also if you have an awkwardly shaped lawn you may find a company will spec far more than you need (ie for a 5x5 metre lawn - as it comes on rolls of 4m, or 2m, by roll length - they would spec you 5m x 4m and 5m by 2m and cut the second bit down to 1m by 5m strip BECAUSE the lawns have a grain that needs to match up - you could keep the spare but we normally took it away! - thats an extra 5 sq mtrs at a cost of £150!) because of this, even on small lawns we never had any that cost below £400-500 (its been a while so i dont remember exactly)

So the lawn itself can look amazing if its done right, and the good stuff is used but blimey its expensive
Alan

edit to say: and if you get someone else to do it, theres the labour cost as well! :s normally took a day to do... size dependant of course

[Edited on 8/2/11 by hellbent345]

DarrenW

posted on 8/2/11 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
As well as that plastic geodesic stuff cant you also get paving slabs with holes in that can be grassed? What about a locost way - either get loads of milk crates and bury them first or get some ex council paving slabs and drill loads of holes in them before laying.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.