Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which VIN plates?
adrianreeve

posted on 11/2/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Which VIN plates?

Which VIN plates have people used? I looked at the vin-plates.co.uk website, and wasn't sure which I should be getting.

Cheers

Adrian

eznfrank

posted on 11/2/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I got mine from there and used acv1 or maybe avc1, can't remember which way round the v and c are. Not passed.iva yet but I know others have used that one no probs
dunk3

posted on 11/2/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I also got mine from vin-plates.co.uk, and passed IVA with this one, Code VW 1. Size 140mm x 63mm Price £9.95 each
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 11/2/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I SVA'd my car, and at that time you didn't need a special plate, do you need one now?
I got a cheap punch set on Ebay and bashed mine onto the chassis, and onto a bar which I welded to a visible place easy for the tester to check.

Macbeast

posted on 11/2/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I punched mine into piece of ally with VIN no, Front axle design weight, rear axle design weight on 3 separate lines. That was one of the things it DIDN'T fail on

This is separate to the VIN no punched into the chassis of course.

[Edited on 11/2/11 by Macbeast]

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

wilkingj

posted on 12/2/11 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I punched mine straight onto the chassis rail, in two places. (Punches from Machine Mart)
DVLA were happy with that.

I think there is a requirement about the character size. But cant remember! 4mm seems to come to mind as a minimum, but check before stamping the chassis, as its a permanant and legally required marking. Restamped Vins make people nervous about the vehicle being ringed or at least a bit "dodgy"!

So get it right First Time!

O's and I's (Oh's and Eyes) are not allowed as they can be confused with Ones and Zeros.

I found this out when I cleverly recited the Vin to the MoT Man and it didnt come up on the conmputer.

The Viento part came up as v1ent0 in the Vin number. (One and Zero instead of i and o).

So be aware of that as well.
Hope this helps.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevegough

posted on 12/2/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Quoting from the IVA manual:

1. The vehicle must be fitted with a manufacturer’s plate, in a conspicuous and readily accessible position.
2. The manufacturer’s plate must be made of a durable material.
3. The manufacturer’s plate must be indelibly marked with the manufacturer’s name and the vehicle identification number.
4. The manufacturer’s plate must be fitted to a part of the vehicle that will not be replaced through normal use.
5. The Stamped in VIN must be marked on the chassis, frame or other similar structure which is not easily removable, on the right hand side of the vehicle. (see note 3,5 & 6)
6. The Stamped in VIN must be placed in a clearly visible and accessible position by a method such as stamping, etching (metal chassis) or embossed, moulded into the structure (glass fibre or carbon fibre chassis) so that it can not be obliterated or deteriorate.
7. The VIN number must consist of 17 digits (except for mass-produced vehicles see note 4)
8. The information must be shown in a single line. (in the case of a mass produced vehicle the use of two lines is permissible)
9. Capital letters and numerals must be used for the manufacturer’s name and VIN

I think in the case of a Haynes roadster, You are the manufacturer, so I'm not too sure about what they would expect? I had to get mine from Luego themselves.

Hope this of some help?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.