Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FTO tiptronic box
coyoteboy

posted on 12/2/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
FTO tiptronic box

Anyone experienced driving one in anger? Paddle shifty fun worth while or slushy slow changes bound to drive you mad in a kit?
JacksAvon

posted on 12/2/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have driven cars with these boxes in, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Porche and instructed people in them.
Also driven them 60 milles on the Motorway, novelty comes to mind.

Maybe nice for a lazy drive, but would not like to race one unless we are talking F1 style

lewis

posted on 12/2/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I had one & was a good fun car I miss it :-( the kick down was a bit violent,don't think I would work in many kits as it's fwd.

[Edited on 12/2/11 by lewis]

coyoteboy

posted on 13/2/11 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
It's really a thought that if I were to pick the engine (a nice 2 litre 200hp) then I'd have the choice of manual or the auto, and the tiptronicy/auto could be paddle shifted nicely, but if it doesnt shift as and when demanded and provide engine braking it's not worth it. I could robotise a manual instead, it'd just take a bit more effort!

No intention to build a kit BTW

[Edited on 13/2/11 by coyoteboy]

lewis

posted on 13/2/11 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
That was in auto mode,in tip mode obviously you decide the gear changes & the V6 engine was cool too,also consider the BMW tip box too if you are looking for red application. :-)
coyoteboy

posted on 15/2/11 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm baffled. Most on the owners clubs suggest its the best box in the world (as you'd expect). A few people from other forums who have just owned one use the phrase "slushbox" which doesn't instill confidence, and others say it's very direct, shifts immediately and faster than a manual. Also some have pointed out that the auto box is very heavy?
lewis

posted on 15/2/11 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Def not quicker than a manual,and def not the greatest gearbox ever built.
flibble

posted on 15/2/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I thought "slushbox" was just an American slang for automatic trans?
norfolkluego

posted on 15/2/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I had an FTO with a tiptronic box, it was fantastic, in 'manual' the gearchange was mega quick certainly faster than you could do it yourself, in auto it was a normal auto box althought it was (allegedly) an 'intellegent box that would learn your driving style, all round I couldn't fault either the engine or the gearbox
coyoteboy

posted on 15/2/11 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
See, how can there be such variation in opinion !?
lewis

posted on 15/2/11 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Because it's a opinion.
BenB

posted on 15/2/11 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
Because it's a opinion.

LOL

coyoteboy

posted on 15/2/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Fair point!

I want facts, damnit lol

I'd have assumed that from a bunch of people "in to" cars there's be reasonable concensus on performance. I suppose theres car to car variation to worry about too!

Damn this world of variables.

scootz

posted on 15/2/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing you could only use a Tiptronic box with the engine it was designed for?

It's Evolution Baby!

lewis

posted on 15/2/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Tbo would not be my first choice of gearbox it's complicated and unreliable quite often used to read threads about gearbox stuck in one gear/loose a gear and the dreaded flashing 'N' there are plenty of other gearboxes that are better.
Strontium Dog

posted on 15/2/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've driven another Mitsi with tiptronic and it was surprisingly good. I think you really need to go and get a test drive or three and see if it floats your boat or not. I'd still prefer a stick, but that's just preference at the end of the day
Confused

posted on 16/2/11 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
A very good automatic gearbox, with the option of choosing the gears yourself, and its INVECS system will learn your driving style and adapt shifts to suit.

However, at the end of the day, it's still an automatic gearbox with a torque converter.

A very good one, at that, but still an automatic.

DSG-type boxes which are electronically controlled manual clutch/box combos are better, as you don't get the drivetrain loss due to the torque converter - but they're not as common.

norfolkluego

posted on 16/2/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
Tbo would not be my first choice of gearbox it's complicated and unreliable quite often used to read threads about gearbox stuck in one gear/loose a gear and the dreaded flashing 'N' there are plenty of other gearboxes that are better.

Not sure they're particularly unreliable (never had trouble with mine in fact the car didn't give me any trouble at all) but I suspect the gearbox would be expensive if it did go wrong. Liked the engine though, over 200 bhp from a normally aspirated 2 litre, 8,000 red line IIRC, can't be that bad.

thefreak

posted on 16/2/11 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
They're ok, but like any autobox they sap so much power. If not looked after and at least the oil changed often they do break. They're not that expensive now there's quite a few breakers, but they're a pain in the ass to fix if you start taking them apart. They rely on a bunch of sensors that can be tempremental.
In all honesty I wouldn't bother with one. Yes the Mivec engine is good, but again needs looking after otherwise the bottom end will go. There's not a lot you can do with them to get more power either, Mitsi pretty much rung the neck of the engine getting 200bhp/150lbft.
I owned a few from 1998-2008, and the last one was a tip. Hateful thing ended up breaking it for spares because the damn thing still wouldn't work after stripping/rebuilding/replacing engine+box etc.
I'm still an active member on the Owners Club so can pass on some breakers if you want to pick one up cheaply for the engine/box.

coyoteboy

posted on 17/2/11 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that. I think we've pretty much pulled the plug on the tip box then, but the engine is still an interest with the manual box. You say that mitsu have pretty much taken it to the limit but Ive seen a few GRs with turbos claiming 300ish - but I presume with low CR pistons and a full bottom end rebuild?
thefreak

posted on 17/2/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
More likely wild owner estimates with standard bolt ons.
With the NA engine, without spending massive $$ you're going to be lucky to see more than a real 10-15bhp upgrade. That includes a remap, straight through exhaust and decent filter.
you can get upgraded cams for them, but they're a lot and only available from 1 supplier in Aus (RPW). You cant really raise the compression either.
You can do the porting and polishing and make sure everything is running sweet, then I think the most anyone has got was 22bhp. Nothing like the gains you can get from something like the B18 or the K20 from Honda who take really well to modest upgrades.
Anything quoted from 250bhp> will be either forced induction or Nitrus, and there hasn't been enough F/I modifications to make it either a reliable or cheap upgrade.

coyoteboy

posted on 17/2/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Aye, it was turbocharged to .8 bar, so the value is approximately correct but I've no idea what pistons they used or whether they were knocking to death etc.
thefreak

posted on 17/2/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
They'd be running standard pistons as there's nothing off the shelf that will go into the block, and most owners' pockets nowadays aren't deep enough to change the oil never mind have custom parts manufactured
coyoteboy

posted on 17/2/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Theres a few turbo kits about, no idea of the problems related to the specific combo though:
http://www.autofashion.co.uk/mitsubishi_fto.htm

thefreak

posted on 17/2/11 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. £3k plus fitting for an untried and untested kit.
Not many people want to spend that on a car they've probably only paid £1k for. And if they were looking to spend £4k+ on an upgrade, it's cheaper and more cost effective to drop the 2.5 vr4 or 2l Evo engine in the car as they're 276bhp as standard, then you can start playing

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.