Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My hot water again!!
McLannahan

posted on 15/2/11 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
My hot water again!!

Evening everyone!

Following on from my old post (sorry, not easy to link from Blackberry) my hot water is getting worse!!

We now barely have enough water for 1/2 a shower. Heating is fine. I tried to use the immersion (sp?) Heater and that was even worse! No "hot" at all, just a little luke warm.

Does this all point towards the three way valve? There's a lever on the side and this appears to do FA, perhaps it's stuck? Is this possible?

I've leathered the thing (after prising off the plastic casing) with UB40 but made no difference.

If it is brokewn can I replace it myself without water loss/drain?

Thanks all, it's making baby bathtime a nightmare!!

MakeEverything

posted on 15/2/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the 3 port valve.

You can buy the actuator separately and replace without draining but take it off and exercise the valve first to see if that solves the problem. If the valve needs replacing, then you should have valves to isolate, however a house like mine doesnt and will need a full drain.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

mookaloid

posted on 15/2/11 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to move the lever manually to heat the water. if that does the trick you need a new valve or at least the mechanism.

If the immersion heater didn't heat the water then that must be broke too!

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

slingshot2000

posted on 15/2/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
As above,
but make sure you buy a direct replacement from the original manufacturer. This will have the correct coloured wiring, and as there are approx 6wires, and makes the job a whole lot simpler.
Remeber to make sure the electic supply is definetly off before you start.

Regards
Jon

daviep

posted on 15/2/11 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan

I've leathered the thing (after prising off the plastic casing) with UB40 but made no difference.

If the UB40 wasn't enough you try a generous blast of Bob Marley

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

t16turbotone

posted on 15/2/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
you need to check wether the cylinder stat has fallen off the cylinder, its a small rectangle device usually strapped to cylinder by spring cable - like the sort you hang net curtains up with!
jacko

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Give the 3 way valve a tap with a hammer it some times frees the valve [ not to hard a tap ]
What boiler is it ? combi ?

[Edited on 15/2/11 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
McLannahan

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone - really useful.

Small plastic slide/switch on the side of it does nothing - doesn't even feel like it's attached to anything internally? It does move but with no resistance or postive action.

Stat is still on the cylinder - You're right TT1, curtain spring cable! The cheapskates...

Have given it a few knocks with a bulky screwdriver but hasn't seemed to make a difference.

It's an oil fired boiler Jacko - Serviced just last month or so. Heating works well but hot water capacity has always been poor. Reduced the time the boiler was on and didn't get any less hot water! Now though it's dire, just a few litres it seems to be.

Power shower sounds like it's having a heart attack. I'm hoping it's lack of water for it and not that failing too!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.