Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice on house structural insurance claim
MK9R

posted on 2/3/11 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Advice on house structural insurance claim

A crack appeared in a enclosed exposed beam (beam was covered with plaster board) that is the main support holding the ceiling and bedroom floor above the lounge. I investigated further and found that the main structural beam had snapped in half, causing the floor and ceiling to sag. I quickly propped it all up and called in the insurance. They have assed it, and now say they will not pay up as the beam was not adequate and was badly installed. The wood is not rotten and seems very solid, but there are 2 flaws in the beam which has caused the area where it broke to be the weakest point. My issue is that this part of the house is over 100 years old, and this is not a new beam, its has been there for years, so even if it may not meet building regulations now, it has stood for years without a problem. We had a structural report when we bought the house, including an extended wood and damp survey as the mortgage people asked for it, but i suspect this survey will not pay up as its was covered by platser board so was inmpossible to see the possible issue. The rest of the house is up to 700 years old and is an Oak beam Cruck construction, ok now most of the support is taken by walls not the cruck, but the entire house is all over the place (but solid) due to its age. The insurance (through lloyds) has always been aware of the age of the house and we pay a very high premium because of it.

Can anyone offer me any advice as what to do next? I can repair it (but not to current regs) my self for not too much money, but its principle more than anything and in reality the beam needs replacing with steel RSJ.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 2/3/11 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
ask to see there complaints procudre ( as they are FSA ) read that and understand how to put in an official complaint and how it will be processed.

somtimes even mentioning that you wish to raise an official complaint get things done.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

designer

posted on 2/3/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Approach the Insurance Ombudsman, as every letter they send to your insurance company costs them hundreds of pounds.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
geoffxt

posted on 2/3/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your problem. Doubtless when the beam was installed it was satisfactory so far as then existing specifications required. As you mentioned building regulations, it is worth noting that these continually increase specifications over the years in line with improving knowledge, materials etc. However, your insurers have for years been taking your premiums to indemnify you against 'events' such as has occured. During that period they have not and cannot expect you and other customers to continually remove beams, lintels etc and replace them with more modern stuff! Therefore they cannot now reasonably refuse to admit your claim as it implies that they have knowingly taken premiums for risks which they will decline if events occur such as have happened to you! Smacks of Fraud! Robbing B-st-ads!

Have another go pointing out the obvious and at the same time inform them if they continue as they have the press and ombudsman etc. will be advised and help sought from them.

Good Luck!

Geoff

Agriv8

posted on 2/3/11 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
in most cases you have to go through the internal complaints procedure before the omdbudsman.

may be very wrong though.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/3/11 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be possible to add long steel plates to either side of the crack, bolted together to restore the strength of the beam? Rather than replace it and all the disruption that it would cause to the house. If so I’d imagine that it would only cost a few hundred to repair. I'd maybe use a hydraulic jack to lift the beam up to the correct height.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

MK9R

posted on 2/3/11 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Would it be possible to add long steel plates to either side of the crack, bolted together to restore the strength of the beam? Rather than replace it and all the disruption that it would cause to the house. If so I’d imagine that it would only cost a few hundred to repair. I'd maybe use a hydraulic jack to lift the beam up to the correct height.

My plan is to sandwich the beam with 2 full length beam, bigger than the original, probably would still be out of spec, but would be far stronger than it iS now, and that lasted 100 years!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/3/11 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah that would do it, though I'd still bolt them together with large spreader plates.

There is the possibility that the house may have had smaller rooms in that area and that a supporting wall had been removed at some point.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

hughpinder

posted on 2/3/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure on this, but I thought structural steelwork in domestic dwellings had to be encased in concrete, as it turns to jelly in the event of fire.
Regards
Hugh

martyn1137

posted on 2/3/11 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I am a Chartered Surveyor dealing day to day with residential property issues such as this.

From your description, the beam concerned is at first floor level. Your insurance company would be justified in refusing a claim if simply the beam has failed. What they cover you for is settlement and similar damage caused by ground conditions. If I read it right there is no point in contacting Omsbudsman etc.

You say that the property started life as an old cruck frame building and therefore I suspect it may well be Listed. If so, your local Council's Conservation Officer would need to be consulted if you replace the beam. A steel would not be accepted, generally.

The best option in most cases is to repair the beam in situ. As others have indicated above it may be possible to plate and bolt it. Alternatively, a modern resin-bonded repair might be appropriate. I would thoroughly recommend you consult a local structural engineer who has good working knowledge of older residential buildings. This would be money well spent.

If you want more specific help U2U me.

Martyn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.