Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vw transporter 2.5tdi any good ???
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 8/3/11 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
vw transporter 2.5tdi any good ???

Been offered a y reg lwb 2.5 tdi transporter with 99k on the clock.
Anyone know of anything i should look for on one of these with regard to buying.
Are they anygood, what sort of mpg etc etc.
Cheers in advance guys'n'gals

tegwin

posted on 8/3/11 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
The 2.5TDI came in I believe 3 different powe ratings... 88, 90 and 110 hp.... Variations included the addition of an intercooler on the 110hp version...

I bougth my sister a LWB 2001 2.5TDI 110 version that had been chipped.... it goes like stink.... Cant remeber the figure she gave me, but she does a LOT of motorway miles across europe and was pleasantly surprised how good it is compared to her olt tdi300 landy defender..

Worth checking the clutch pedal...the one in my sisters van had completely snapped off at the mounts... nothing an hour with a welder cant sort though

Kitted it out with a bed, cupboards diesel-air heater and a table...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

dinosaurjuice

posted on 8/3/11 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
fantastic vans. check out vwt4forum really helpful bunch

stevegough

posted on 8/3/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if it was the same engine, but I had a 'W' reg Audi Quattro 2.5Tdi which was 150bhp - ok, its not a van, and its an Audi, but I found fuel consumption pretty heavy for an oil burner - struggled, even driving super - economically to get more than 35 mpg. More usually it was 27/28mpg.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

orton1966

posted on 8/3/11 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Had the 90+hp

I had the one below the 110, I think 90 something hp T4 shape. I genuinely think it is a better put together van than the newer T5. Even the lower spec engines tow well and I thought it was OK on Fuel.

Very reliable, I put 60k on mine in 2 years, taking it to 120k with zero problems. Plus they have better bodywork than any equivalent van

Danozeman

posted on 8/3/11 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Theyr fantastic vans and engines. The only thing to watch is the belt history. There is 2 pump belt and cambelt. Quite often the cambelt gets done and not the pump one. They do jump so check th history of the belts, If it aint had one get it done, they are expensive to do properly.

The audi 2.5 is a V6 tdi. T4 is 5 cyl.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

chrsgrain

posted on 8/3/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Theyr fantastic vans and engines. The only thing to watch is the belt history. There is 2 pump belt and cambelt. Quite often the cambelt gets done and not the pump one. They do jump so check th history of the belts, If it aint had one get it done, they are expensive to do properly.

The audi 2.5 is a V6 tdi. T4 is 5 cyl.

+1, make absolutely sure the belts have been done (and I would go for proper VW parts as well), engine WILL die if the belt breaks - ask someone who knows

Other than that, awesome van, has been my daily driver for nearly 10 years now in various guises

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 8/3/11 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input guys.
Got no idea what bhp engine it is . How would i tell ???
As for belts he said last year waterpump and belts were done circa £800 bill. Not seen a reciept for that yet though.
It also has a blowing front pipe . Easy to change ???

Danozeman

posted on 8/3/11 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
The front pipes can be a pain. They have funny spring slips on the manifold. Its probably rusted through near the hanger so you could maybe patch it. Vw commercial are now starting "a price for a job" Which is fixed price for things like exhausts etc which are Very reasonable prices. ( im a technician for vw commercial). Vw do a budget and standard exhaust.

You can tell the power by the engine code or colour of letters on the back. Or you could go for an insurance quote on the reg and it should come up.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 8/3/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
If i recall correctly the "i" in tdi on the tailgate was red.
BigFaceDave

posted on 8/3/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR
If i recall correctly the "i" in tdi on the tailgate was red.

Could'nt tell you what power that engine is (although im sure someone will know) but the fact that its got a "i" means its got a bit of go as mine doesnt even have a "i"! its just as Td which is only 68bhp and to be honest a bit on the gutless side that said fantastic vans cant rate mine highly enough, I sold my old one with almost 200k on the clock and still going strong and just bought another with 46k on it!

hillbillyracer

posted on 10/3/11 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure there's only 2 power levels for the 2.5TDI engine, 88 & 102 bhp. Lift the bonnet & if you're looking at an intercooler then it's the 102, if there's no intercooler then it's an 88.
You can fit the intercooler, fit the right injectors & remap to make a 102 but that'll cost a bit.

I've been running an ex AA T4 now for 3 years & love it, no plans to change for a good while. It's a 102bhp, goes well & I get around 30mpg but that does involve a lot of short journeys on country roads, on a long run it can do a good bit more. I towed a Mini bodyshell on a trailer, 2 Honda 2.2VTEC engines & 3 gearboxes, & all my tools 300miles & it did 43mpg sitting at 55-60mph.

The build of them is way better than most vans (mabye any!), very well made.

They do drive like an older van though, the design came out around 1991 so it shows it's age against modern stuff.
I agree with earlier about the cambelt, important to get it done if there's any doubt & replace the pullies when you're on, consider doing the water pump too. The second belt that drives the injection pump is'nt as critical as it doesnt wreck the engine but still leaves you stranded! Doing the belt is entirely possible on a DIY basis if you've done others before, nothing out of the ordinary & access is'nt too bad once you get the undertray off.

If you know someone in the garage trade that can get you parts through TPS which is the VAG group trade supplier then you'll get genuine parts much cheaper than the main dealer, sometimes signifcantly cheaper then aftermarket brands!

gazza285

posted on 12/3/11 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
Watch for a cracked head, most VW diesels are prone, but the 5 cylinders were more than others. If the oil is black then leave it well alone.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davegtst

posted on 12/3/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
We've got some at work that have done over 175k miles and still going strong. They look very dated now but they are a fantastic workhorse. The clutch pedal brackets snap but they can be welded back together and the exhaust can crack and snap near to the cat.
Mark Allanson

posted on 12/3/11 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I used to do the warranties on these, early ones are prone to play in the steering column, rattly driveshafts (cure is loctite on the splines), vans with side windows had prolific leak problems, I think VW are on the 5th supercession of the side window part number.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.