Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: exhaust wrap (help please)
john77cars

posted on 8/3/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
exhaust wrap (help please)

i have a bec,i have put exhaust wrap on my exhaust,iv wraped it all the way too the silencer,when i run the engine i am getting a lot more heat from the exhaust and it is warping the side panel of the car it getting that hot,has any body else come across this problem.
40inches

posted on 8/3/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john77cars
i have a bec,i have put exhaust wrap on my exhaust,iv wraped it all the way too the silencer,when i run the engine i am getting a lot more heat from the exhaust and it is warping the side panel of the car it getting that hot,has any body else come across this problem.

You mean you are getting more heat from the pipes, after wrapping the exhaust or just from the silencer body, or from the exhaust outlet?
Just checked your photo archive, when you wrap an exhaust you retain heat in the gases, so the gas entering the silencer will be a lot hotter, it may even destroy the wadding.
Personally I would only wrap until just outside the body work or you need to fix a heat shield between the silencer and body panel.

[Edited on 8-3-11 by 40inches]

tomgregory2000

posted on 8/3/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
the heat wrap is doing its job in keeping the heat inside, what i would do is only wrap the exhaust that is inside the engine bay and maybe 2" outside the bay
steve m

posted on 8/3/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I stopped my wrap were the exhaust exits the body,
john77cars

posted on 8/3/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
yes,its the 4 pipes that are getting very hot,they dident get no were near as hot without the exhaust wrap on
40inches

posted on 9/3/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john77cars
yes,its the 4 pipes that are getting very hot,they dident get no were near as hot without the exhaust wrap on

Not sure I am with you on this.
Without the wrap the 4 header pipes will remove the skin from your hands if you touch them, with the wrap on, assuming you have done the obligatory 50% overlap, you should be able to briefly touch them (still something I wouldn't do) any gaps in the wrap will create massive hot spots.
Personally I would leave the outside parts of the headers open to air.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.