Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis layout finalised
designer

posted on 13/3/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis layout finalised

Have posted a copy of chassis layout in archive.

Main longerons are of 50x50x3 and the chassis will be pannelled.

(Wish I had the time to learn Solidworks!!!!)

Comments

[Edited on 13-3-11 by designer]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 13/3/11 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Triangulation?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Kwik

posted on 13/3/11 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
and the role hoop will do nothing if it isnt supported...

if your using a low power engine i wouldn't think you would need too much triangulation in the rest of the chassis...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 13/3/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Triangulation should not be needed because of the size of the longerons (50x50x3), also the bottom will be panelled and the side panels will be aluminium ducting.

The roll bar will be braced by the bike chassis.

The bike will be mounted at the head, towards the top of the roll hoop, and at the bottom cross member, with the side extentions providing lateral support.

This should work.

MikeR

posted on 13/3/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I don't quite understand your steering wheel support, as i see it - its going to be at a really acute angle pointing towards the roll bar. If you have a joint in it to make it go more 'backwards' then you need some metal to mount it off.

Also echo other posters comments about triangulation - although if you intend going for stressed panels then check with others how they've done it.

Personally 50x50x3mm seems VERY excessive. 25x25x1.5 and a little extra triangulation will give you less weight and a stiffer chassis. If you're going for bike powered, less weight will probably be appreciated.

(nb,no engineer, all views are based on writing crap on this forum for too many years. they have no engineering background).

designer

posted on 13/3/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

(nb,no engineer, all views are based on writing crap on this forum for too many years. they have no engineering background).

Same here, not a trained engineer like my dad, just a happy tinkerer.

The steering rack is mounted on the upper front cross member and the column is supported under the dash hoop. Admittedly the hoop is well forward, but it also is the support for the single spring/damper unit.

I want a simple to build, multi-tube chassis, not a spaceframe, I think that 50x50x3 is needed as a 'main' beam as it also supports the bike laterally. But, I have though about going to 50x50x2 for the lower rail.

Many thanks for peoples comments.

iank

posted on 13/3/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Given it's a tadpole 3 wheeler - a point I suspect many who go in through the front page will miss - and thus subject to almost no twist compared with a 4 wheeler I suspect that a ladderframe chassis made from 3mm 50x50 will be more than strong enough (Spitfire chassis is a lot less stiff than this design for example). It won't win any points for subtlety but I can't see it falling apart.

When you look at most of the 3wheeler chassis out there you'll see they use 25mm steel but also miss out triangulation.

Here's a Pembleton for example.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ratman

posted on 26/3/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure about torsional stiffness and the three-wheeler. I built a very rough reverse trike with engine at the front driving the single rear wheel a-la Morgan. When cornering it twisted a lot! The reason was that the weight on the rear wheel, although not a lot, is quite high above the ground contact point of the rear wheel. So on cornering the moment couple going forward is significant. Triangulation only helps this if there are closed four-sided pyramids built into the scheme of things. Just doing the sides of the car helps, but it isn't enough to get the full benefits of triangulation. Its like, when you finally close the loop, you suddenly get the final 90% of potential stiffness. For the open top vehicle, three tubes down each side, triangulated to make three planes is the perfect solution. Actually just down one side would do it. The problem is to find light enough material to do it with.
The saving grace seems to be that a bit of twist in a three wheeler, although it looks awful, doesn't seem to affect the handling the same way as it would a 4-wheeler. But I just like the feeling of a really tight car that can just shrug-off any rough road surface or violent maneuver with disdain.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.