Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supermoon
Peteff

posted on 18/3/11 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Supermoon

Just had the spotting scope out to look at the moon and tomorrow will be at it's closest for two decades, couldn't wait though as the sky is so clear tonight.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Guinness

posted on 18/3/11 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Good isn't it.

Brilliantly clear night here.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/3/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Nice clear sky tonight - so perishing cold! Screen was frozen when I went to the pub at 8:00 this evening.

Too much light pollution to have a proper look-see at the sky where I live - Ipswich's orange glow in one direction, Colchester's in the other, and a white glow from Felixstowe docks at 90 degrees to both. My brother lives in between Inverness and Nairn, and the night sky there is magnificent.

Liam

posted on 18/3/11 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Just had the spotting scope out to look at the moon and tomorrow will be at it's closest for two decades, couldn't wait though as the sky is so clear tonight.

Er... it gets this close every 28-ish days

All this 'super' nonsense means is that this particular orbit, the moon's closest approach just happens to coincide with when it's full.

Still pretty cool, mind you.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/3/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
you actually see the surface features clearer with a crescent moon as the shadows shows the shape of the mountains and craters better

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
slingshot2000

posted on 18/3/11 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just come in from walking the dog and blimey; never seen the moon so bright. "Pitch" is a black lab and I often loose sight of her across the fields this late at night, but not tonight. I could see her almost like in daylight, except when she really got into deep shadows.
However, the moon looks tiny. I have often seen it much bigger than this.
I am looking forward to trying to catch it just over the horizon tomorrow night.

Regards
Jon

Peteff

posted on 19/3/11 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam

All this 'super' nonsense means is that this particular orbit, the moon's closest approach just happens to coincide with when it's full.

These seem to think it's closer than it's been in 18 years, we'd better put them straight.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/3/11 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
14% bigger than when at its furthest isn't really very much but tbh the seas do look a bit easier to make out without a telescope

interestingly when it looks huge at the horizon it's just an optical illusion as taken with a camera and measured it's infact no bigger than when it's high in the sky, it just seems so

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Jasper

posted on 19/3/11 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Ohhh - I'll be out with the 8" refractor tonight

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

andyd

posted on 19/3/11 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
8" refractor? Blimey that's big for a refractor.
What make/model is that?

I made my own 10" reflector years ago. Trying to get around to re-making it to make it more portable. The original was a 4ft long Sonotube (cardboard tube). Not easy to get in/out of the car

Andy

prawnabie

posted on 19/3/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ive put mine outside to acclimatise!
coozer

posted on 19/3/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
We're all doomed!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Peteff

posted on 19/3/11 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
We're all doomed!

Aye, permission to panic sir.

yours, Pete

Liam

posted on 19/3/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by Liam

These seem to think it's closer than it's been in 18 years, we'd better put them straight.

Hmm someone from space.com ought to know better . It's just a perigee (point in moon's orbit closest to earth) and we get one of those every ~28 days. Ok sure the actual distance at each perigee is slightly different, and this one is indeed about as close as they get (full moon perigees, or super-moons if you must, always are), but we had one just as close last year (well almost - within 0.005%), closer in 2008, closer in 2005... these just didn't coincide with a full moon quite so perfectly - 2 and 4 hours apart in '08 and '10 instead of just one tonight - not that that would make any difference to how full it looks to anybody. In fact, just about every year we get a close perigee full moon that to anyone without serious measuring instruments looks every bit as 'super' as tonight's moon.

The only reason we have all the hype this time round is some idiot astrologer picked up on it, coined the phrase 'super-moon' and decided to cash in on disaster and scaremongering by predicting moon-caused armageddon . And the media are lapping it all up.

I'm not saying it's not a great night to go look at the moon. It will still look great - just pretty much the same as any other perigee full moon. And we're in for a treat - next year we have a perigee a mere 2 minutes away from a full moon (so that must be a super-duper moon!). In fact we have full moons within an hour of perigee (i.e. as super as tonight) for the next 5 years. Woo. Happy moon-watching

Hellfire

posted on 19/3/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
What's the best time to view it then?

Phil

Liam

posted on 19/3/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well perigee is pretty much right now (ten past 7 ish), and it was most full almost an hour ago. But dont worry, it's not moving very fast - it'll look the same all night. And pretty much the same tomorrow night. Try catching it on the horizon to maximise the apparent size (due to a trick of our brains).
stevegough

posted on 19/3/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've decided this thread needs a photo.....

......So I've nicked one of Mrs Fozzie's

May 21 2010
May 21 2010

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

stevegough

posted on 19/3/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
That reminds me....I heard last week the Irish are going to put the first man on the SUN !!

They'll be alright......

......They're going at night !

[Edited on 21/3/11 by stevegough]

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

02GF74

posted on 22/3/11 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
can't be bothered with all that, I'm waiting fro the mega hyper moon.

David Jenkins

posted on 22/3/11 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
And here's an example of the high standard of reporting we can expect from the British tabloids...

Daily Fail supermoon story

Never before has so much old cobblers been assembled into one page...

Ninehigh

posted on 23/3/11 at 02:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
What's the best time to view it then?

Phil

Night time

Didn't miss much, it's the moon but apparently a bit bigger and brighter... Does that mean all the loonies that come out at this time are 14% more d**kish?

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Never before has so much old cobblers been assembled into one page...

I take it they've made the page bigger then...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.