Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay advice needed
paulbeyer

posted on 19/3/11 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay advice needed

For the last week I have had my Discovery listed for sale on eBay and although I had plenty of watchers I only ended up with one bid placed 20 seconds before the end of the auction for the amount I was asking. I sent an email to the winning bidder requesting he arrange a time and date to collect and within minutes received the following response..

"A few minutes ago, unbeknown to me, a young member of my family committed to buy the Discovery you advertised. I suspect the youngster did not understand the procedure. I was looking for a 4x4 but have already found one. I am very sorry about this and hope you will agree for me to retract this bid. Frankly finding the cash to buy two cars will be more than a struggle. I am so sorry."

So, this guy is obviously not going to go through with this transaction and I am left without a sale. As I have not sold much on eBay and never been in this situation before what do I need to do now? My eBay has various options for me to leave feed back, mark item as sold, send invoice etc so what do I need to do to cancel this transaction? Do I need to notify eBay that the sale fell through or do I just mark the sale as being paid, leave negative feed back and chalk this up to experience?

Cheers,

Paul

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

loggyboy

posted on 19/3/11 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
You or the bidder need to start a 'dispute' or similar by clicking 'resolve a problem'. This will give options on why you wish to cancel the transaction. once youve done this, he will confirm he is also happy to cancel and you will get your ebay 'final value' fees refunded.

[Edited on 19/3/11 by loggyboy]

Liam

posted on 19/3/11 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's amazing how many people let their PCs unattended in the hands of their two year olds, whilst logged into ebay just before an auction ends. Sigh...

Do not just mark the item as paid or leave feedback or you'll be stung for the fees. I haven't been in this situation for a while so maybe options have changed, but there used to be an option to give the second place bidder a chance to buy it for whatever their bid was. If not, you need to find the proper option for 'the winner never paid' in order for your fees to be cancelled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulbeyer

posted on 19/3/11 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Loggy you are spot on. I have canceled the transaction following your advice and will wait for a refund of the final value fees.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 19/3/11 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
I would say that the story is a load BS. People seem to enjoy doing this sort of thing and seeing what they can get away with.
Am I being too cynical..........probably but I have a dispute open at the moment for a similar thing

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

paulbeyer

posted on 19/3/11 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
I would say that the story is a load BS. People seem to enjoy doing this sort of thing and seeing what they can get away with.
Am I being too cynical..........probably but I have a dispute open at the moment for a similar thing

You are right Liam this is total bull sh1t and there is nothing I can do about it. I do have his address and post code though so maybe I can burn his fcuking house down.

[Edited on 19/3/2011 by paulbeyer]

mad4x4

posted on 20/3/11 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
Ebays rules used to say all sales are final - don't Bid if you don't wnat to Buy.

You could be a **** and start a civil suit against the buyer in the small claims

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Daddylonglegs

posted on 20/3/11 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
You are right Liam this is total bull sh1t and there is nothing I can do about it. I do have his address and post code though so maybe I can burn his fcuking house down.

Makes you feel like that with some of these idiots!

[Edited on 20/3/11 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 20/3/11 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
you can open a non paying bidder dispute and get him blacklisted

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

big_wasa

posted on 20/3/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
He wont get black listed if its a first time but it will take ages, he will leave bad feed back and it will take longer to get it sorted out and your fees back.

At the end of the day they didnt end the auction early or stop a sale and you will get your fees back. Its not worth the hassle. Chalk it up to what ebay has become these days....

Ebay sat on my last refund for over a week and took the fees way quicker.......grrr

matt_gsxr

posted on 20/3/11 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
E-bay are the criminals here to my mind.

When I have experienced idiots on e-bay you normally end up cancelling things, but then you can't leave feedback.

The feedback thing would kill this kind of behaviour straight away, but e-bay want to pretend that it is all perfect out there.

I think that they are being short termist idiots on this point.

Matt

macc man

posted on 20/3/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
This has happened to me in the past but I have got the final value fees returned. Very often the buyer does net even reply to your messages. They should be barred from using the site in my opinion.

UncleFista

posted on 20/3/11 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
He wont get black listed if its a first time but it will take ages, he will leave bad feed back and it will take longer to get it sorted out and your fees back.

At the end of the day they didnt end the auction early or stop a sale and you will get your fees back. Its not worth the hassle. Chalk it up to what ebay has become these days....

Ebay sat on my last refund for over a week and took the fees way quicker.......grrr

It's easy enough to get bad feedback from a none-paying-bidder removed..

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

paulbeyer

posted on 20/3/11 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
E-bay are the criminals here to my mind.

When I have experienced idiots on e-bay you normally end up cancelling things, but then you can't leave feedback.

The feedback thing would kill this kind of behaviour straight away, but e-bay want to pretend that it is all perfect out there.

I think that they are being short termist idiots on this point.

Matt

I've just had an email from ebay to say that the bidder has agreed to the cancellation (how gracious of him) and my fees have been refunded. I have just tried to leave feed back so that others can see what a twat he is but the only option I have is to leave positive feed back. Ebay must think I am pissed. Unbelievable.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.