Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage doors
tegwin

posted on 20/3/11 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Garage doors

So the house is more or less finished, which means I can get onto the bit I want to do the most... the garage/workshop!!

First thing to do is to build a new roof (loosing the asbestos) and then fit a new door!)

The current door is very low and a seriously bent, steel up and over thing...

What I want ideally is a roller type door with either remote fob, or if its cheaper, just a key switch....

Anyone got any recomendations for lo-cost roller doors!? Dont mind doing some of the donkey work myself if it means I can get one for less....

Anyone any experience of living with roller type doors?! Anything I should be looking out for?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

jacko

posted on 20/3/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Whiting doors are good thats what i use to fit in box vans
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/3/11 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
yip I have fitted both roller and sectional, the roller one is my sisters and I was not impressed with as it's flimsy and not very well held in its tracks. It's also very noisy to use, kind of clatters when moving

I have a Hormann 3m sectional door with remote and I can't fault it one bit. Been totally reliable and wind and water tight. Think it cost me £1200 which was a bit mad but it's double skinned filled with insulation too. I managed to fit it myself on a windy day no bother and it just bolted together very easily. Would very much recommend one.

[Edited on 20/3/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skippad

posted on 20/3/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I got a Henderson insulated roller shutter garage door fitted about a month ago.
Nice and smooth up and down and airtight!
Put a fan heater on and warmed up pretty quick.
I had wood doors on which rotted away (they were on for nearly 20yrs which was good age)
But these are brilliant and were cheaper than wood equivalent.

will121

posted on 20/3/11 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Another thing to consider is how much head room have you got above the door and what there is to mount the roller door too
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/3/11 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by will121
Another thing to consider is how much head room have you got above the door and what there is to mount the roller door too

good point, a normal door ends up with a roll about 1 1/2 in diameter. My sisters one ended up in the garage loft area. If you have a flat roof I doubt you'd have the space

[Edited on 20/3/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

bigruss

posted on 20/3/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the Hormann sectional. Not locost, but just fantastic
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 20/3/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the Market for a new door. I am after a roller shutter as I have the height above the door.

Any good or bad makes to watch out for?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.