Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Not an Avon but a CAT E1 - BIVA?
montythemole

posted on 21/3/11 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Not an Avon but a CAT E1 - BIVA?

Not a Tiger AVon but a Tiger CAT -

I've just swapped an MGB GT I had for sale for a 2.0 Pinto Tiger Cat E1, unregistered mostly built car.

I plan to primarily use it for track days so being registered isn't essential but would be handy for the local tracks. I have a Dutton Phaeton I share with some mates for track days at the moment and that is registered and road legal which is handy.

I'm just wondering if anyone has got a Cat through the BIVA and could give me some pointers. This would be my first go at it, so I'm reading through the various guides in the kit car magazines etc to get my head around it.

Thoughts so far -
Not sure the cycle wings cover enough of the wheel in terms of radius
Exhaust needs heat shield
Headlights may be an issue as may mirrors
There is a square bar under the dash that won't meet the radius limits
Usual bolt coverage of the wishbones etc
Rear lights aren't perpendicular to the ground, but laid back.
The rear carrier I presume is an issue, may be best to chop off.
Locating no plate holder and light
Need to check wiring etc. Fuel and break lines look to be clamped at correct intervals need better check
No brake fluid warning sticker

Also if anyone could estimate the car's worth as is, and once registered for insurance purposes I would be gratefull. It's a powder coated chassis, with brand new alloys and tyres the seller believe cost 1k, along with a rebuilt Pinto at 1k.

Some photos:

[Edited on 21/3/11 by montythemole]

1985 Dutton Phaeton Series 3 1300GT

dan8400

posted on 21/3/11 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I would say worth about £3500 - £4000 in the current climate.

I got my Cat through SVA (not the same but similar) with very small issues. Easy to solve things so shouldn't have much to worry about. My front arches had to be tilted forward so they were ahead of the vertical part of the middle of the wheel.

Rear lights have a small wedge shape piece of GRP made by Tiger. Alot of tiger owners ditch these after test and this makes the lights fit flush but are not square to the road.

I didn't need a heat sheild (however this may have changed).

Square bar under dash I covered with pipe lagging and then the same vynal as the dash so it matches.

Rear carrier on mine met radius requirements so wasn't a problem.

Number plate light was similar to yours and was fine.

I didn't need brake fluid warning sticker, but again, this may have changed.

On a different subject. It is not hard to convert to Zetec power. I did it last winter (2009/10) and havent looked back. Will fit your existing gearbox and require a re-wire in the engine bay but not too serious

Hope this helps

Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

montythemole

posted on 21/3/11 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for comments, very helpful.

I've just got the engine going (flat battery) and it seems pretty sweet. There is a very slight rattle at certain revs that I think is the exhaust or the carbs rattling off the body work so will need to look at that. Just need a free weekend to have a play and a poke.

1985 Dutton Phaeton Series 3 1300GT

DaveFJ

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yup - front cycle wings are way to far back.. looking down vertically the front edge must be in front of the leading edge of the wheel rim... should be easy enough to fix but i would be tempted to make your own mounts anyway or buy from an alternat supplier as the Tiger ones are notoriously bad....

enjoy

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.