Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT How do ankle tags work?
contaminated

posted on 23/3/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
OT How do ankle tags work?

I was the victim of a failed soft-mugging attempt today. It was no where near as dramatic as it sounds, but still pretty unpleasant. I was walking back to work with a colleague along a footpath and two oiks were leaning on the gate that we needed to pass through. Before I could even ask if we could get through one of them says "have you got anything good in those bags" and then proceeded to get all in my face and threatening and wouldn't let us pass. After a minute or so I just backed off and they realised I was not just going to hand over the bag. I doubt I was in serious danger but I very nearly got a punch in the face. If I had been on my own (or anyone else had been for that matter) I think it would have been pretty messy. They were most unpleasant.

Point is the Police took it very seriously and immediately went out looking for them. On the basis that they said they would call if they got them I doubt they did. One of them was wearing one of those get out of jail electronic tags on his ankle though. How do they work? I presume GPS, so knowing exactly where and at what time a tag was would the Police be able to trace the person? I suspect that they can only view an individual tag rather than search a database and pull out the offender though? So without trawling through data for all the tags in the south-east how can the tags provide useful data to the Police?

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

ReMan

posted on 23/3/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, but unpleasant is bad enough. This sort of poo really boils my piss.
Bring back stoning

Hope you're OK

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Ninehigh

posted on 23/3/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I shall tell you how they can provide useful data to the police:

The gps system inside each tag is pre-programmed with the areas that the wearer is banned from, entering those areas causes the programming to trip a small explosive device.

The police head for the Last Known Location of any vanishing tag, and arrest the person who appears to have recently lost a foot.

Well it should anyway, otherwise they might as well get a "I'm a level 3 scumbag" medal for all the purpose it serves

big-vee-twin

posted on 23/3/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
The tag gets read in the offenders home, if the base station doesnt detect the tag after curfew time it sends a call via the telephone line to say the perp has broken his parole rules. Think in the US they work via GPS

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

contaminated

posted on 23/3/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

Well it should anyway, otherwise they might as well get a "I'm a level 3 scumbag" medal for all the purpose it serves

I entirely agree - he had shorts on to make sure we saw it!

www.southernkitcars.com

speedstar

posted on 23/3/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I thought they worked on a phone line.

The base station has a transmitter like a cordless phone in your house. If you get out of range it flags up.

That might be old school though and theyve probably gone to GPS now

Antnicuk

posted on 23/3/11 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
as above, they are not GPS, just work from a wireless base at their home and if not in range at the relevant curfew time, it phones to the security company.

Sory to hear about your experience but glad you feel the police took it seriously. Shame they didnt get them. Out of interest, where were you when it happened?

contaminated

posted on 23/3/11 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

We were on a footpath along-side a river. Pretty secluded.

www.southernkitcars.com

Andi

posted on 24/3/11 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
As above, a phone line in the house to which a private security firm control.
They are S**T. I worked at a 16-25 year old hostel for years and when the security firms came round
and the gits had jumped curfew, they used to report it and AFAIK no one ever got taken to court for it.
Maybe its different policing in other parts of the country, but here its laughable.

One good thing is the cops will have them listed and with a description should catch them easily.
They might even go the whole hog (no pun intended) and show you snapshots of tagged "customers".

Glad to hear your ok though.

ashg

posted on 24/3/11 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
was it in maidstone? down by the canal? i would have bashed the little fekker.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

mistergrumpy

posted on 24/3/11 at 04:52 AM Reply With Quote
As said they work via the base station in the home which is plugged into the wall with a security sticker around it which is tamper evident. However, they cannot be monitored outside of said curfew times as this is classed as an invasion of privacy which is against human rights. I know, bummer ain't it.
As for having offenders on tag all listed, well we don't here purely because it is something that is dished out by the courts and they never seem to keep us updated and they're put on by G4S who are a private company who's phone number appears harder to get han that of Buckingham Palace, it's easier finding out news via the local paper and the biggest factor is that there's hundreds of people have them on where I work. We just can't keep track of them all, plus there's barely anyone TO keep track as they've mostly been given their notices.

nitram38

posted on 24/3/11 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
The fact he had a tag means the police should have a better idea of who he is because of the location. These idiots probably live close by, they are normally that thick!

mistergrumpy

posted on 24/3/11 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
^That's true enough^

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.