Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW clutch bleeding - am i being dumb!!! Dont answer that
antwan

posted on 27/3/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
BMW clutch bleeding - am i being dumb!!! Dont answer that

Hi all,
Just got round to bleeding the brakes and clutch today. Brakes no problem, great. Came to the clutch and carried out exactly the same procedure i.e.

pedal pumping
pedal full on
bleed nipple open
bleed nipple closed
pedal off
etc etc

Only problem is we have been at it for an hour now and although the pedal feels nice and firm, there hasnt been even a drip from the bleed nipple. What is happening!!!????

Strange thing is, we have the back wheels up off the floor and did an experiment by having the car in gear, manually turning the rear wheels whilst engaging and disengaging the clutch, and get this, it works perfectly.

Why no fluid out when we have been priming.
many thanks
Ant

SPYDER

posted on 27/3/11 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there.
Try googling "BMW clutch bleeding" and you will find loads of horror stories!
My personal preference for bleeding woes is to reverse fill the system from the bleed nipple with a syringe.
It can be messy but is often effective.
Your own dilemma is beyond my powers of deduction I'm afraid. How much fluid have you pumped through the system?
Is it all in the bellhousing? Is it an external slave cylinder or a concentric one?

antwan

posted on 27/3/11 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
its a brand new wilwood master but original bmw slave cylinder. I'll take a look at google as suggested see what i find.

I hate it when I cant explain what is happening!

Thanks for the reply

franky

posted on 27/3/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
It might not help but I used an easybleed set-up and never had any trouble bleeding the clutch. A worthwhile investment.
antwan

posted on 27/3/11 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted. I unscrewed the nipple all the way and found an alarming amount of sludgy gunk blocking the drain hole. I used the end of a rivet to gently un-goop the hole and hey presto, the compressed air which was trapped in the line came firing out! I cleaned out the hole in the nipple which was also blocked.

After reassemble, I carried out the same procedure as for bleeding the brakes. Job done! Big grins!

Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.