Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT. paved drive. what sand?
keithice

posted on 27/3/11 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
OT. paved drive. what sand?

As per the title really, suddenly realised my drive was paved three years ago, have not sanded it yearly as recommended but it has looked fine till this spring, used a moss killer (very impressed, worked over night), and pathclear for the odd tuft of grass. I have scraped/washed out the existing sand and now need to replace it. So three questions please;

1) What type of sand do I require?

2) Do I get it from B&Q or a builders merchant (price/quality)?

3) Is there a sealant I could use to minimize maintenance/limit weed and moss growth?

Thank you in advance, Keithice...

Smile and wave boys.... Smile and wave....

PAUL FISHER

posted on 27/3/11 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just redone my block paved drive last week, kiln dried sand is what you need, bought mine from wickes, £3.69 a bag, my drive is quite big, I can park 2 cars a van and a trailer on it, and used 3 bags to give you some idea of how much you might need. I dont know about sealing it, mine has been down 15 years now, I just clean it and resand it every few years, and it comes up like new again.
keithice

posted on 28/3/11 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
cheers paul, much appreciated..

Krismc

posted on 28/3/11 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Yea kiln dried, (or even better silver sand) you got a local dewsons? wickes or B&Q you will be fine. wickes stuff is a little dirty when i last got some, remember too put in in on a dry day or it will look cack.

....and whys this in the electics forum??

[Edited on 28/3/11 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

jabs

posted on 28/3/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Try local builders merchants first as I found, on timber at least, dewsons and B&Q were more than twice as expensive as local firm
David Jenkins

posted on 28/3/11 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
The blokes who did my drive last year used a mix of sand & reclaimed ground-up bottle glass. Looked like a glittery sand.

Allegedly it is more stable and less likely to move around under the blocks.

Doubt that you'll find it in B&Q though!

nick205

posted on 28/3/11 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Had our drive paved about 6 weeks ago and still going round brushing in sand here and there as it settles. One issue it's highlighted is a couple f places where the gutter drips - the drips keep washing the sand out of the joints! Must get up there and sort this out.

Kiln dried sand from the local sand and ballast merchant was what the contractor used and left me half a bag of.

keithice

posted on 29/3/11 at 04:06 AM Reply With Quote
Krismc... u always put paving questions in the "electric" section... any fule noes dat...... Actuallly Kris this is my 4th attempt to answer you as three times when I wrote the original question and now trying to thank you all for your assistance, the system just randomly logs me off. No apparent rhyme or reason.. so the electric section was just the one that worked...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.