Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Moving donor chassis
Blacktop

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Moving donor chassis

Have a bit of a dilema which I am tyring to figure out prior to starting my build.

What is the best/affordable method of moving the donor car once all the running gear has been removed. I can't strip it on the driveway as the drive is on a slope so I plan to strip it in the single garage but then I will need to somehow move the bare chassis onto the drive for the scrap man to collect?

Does anyone have any pics of how they managed to move their donor about once the running gear was removed?

HowardB

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
most scrap guys have a big winch, or a mechanical grab, or both, I am sure at the prospect of some steel they would find a way,...

I would ask your chosen "recycler" if it was going to be a problem,

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Mday41

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I am at that stage now and have got the striped sierra on the front of my house hopfully the scrap man can drag it off but i no it will ruin my shingle and underlay!!!

m.day

montythemole

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I've left a old shell on some lengths of timber before so it could be dragged. As has been said they tend to have HIAB so will stick the hook through the roof most times!

1985 Dutton Phaeton Series 3 1300GT

vinny1275

posted on 29/3/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Chop it into manageable chunks with the angry grinder first? That's what I did...

MikeCapon

posted on 29/3/11 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Faced with the same problem a few years ago with a Ford Transit shell I cut it into four pieces with a firemans axe and took it to the scrappy in the back of another van.

It sounds like hard work but in fact it's pretty easy and almost good fun

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyace

posted on 29/3/11 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I dropped mine onto some bread trolleys I "acquired" from a local supermarket and just pushed it out with a little help.
matt_claydon

posted on 29/3/11 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote

lewis

posted on 29/3/11 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of old airport trolleys I 'found' did the trick and had brakes to,now use one of them as a engine trolley :-)

designer

posted on 29/3/11 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I put three shells at the bottom of my drive in Leeds and they were requested by scrap men within a day or two.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 29/3/11 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ive chopped up a few cars using a 6ft crowbar with a chisel end. It took about 1.5/2 hr to cut up a saloon into bits that fitted into the back of a large estate (several car trips to get rid of it all though). The hardest bits are the door pillars, its easier to chop through the body just below/roof just above the pillars. Wind the windows down while you still can, then cut just unbolt the doors and cut just above the metal. the bonnets were unbolted and jumped on to fold in half.
Regards
Hugh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.