New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top Gear in deep doodah
britishtrident

posted on 30/3/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Top Gear in deep doodah

Quote fro Yahoo news article Wed Mar 30 12:06PM by Orlando Parfitt

Top Gear sued over 'rigged' test

Wed Mar 30 12:06PM by Orlando Parfitt

'Top Gear' is in hot water again, with the headline-grabbing show now being sued by supercar company Tesla for defamation.

Link to full article
http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/news-extra/article/135376/top-gear-sued-over-rigged-test.html

Time for the BBC to pull the plug?

montythemole

posted on 30/3/11 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Oh my god so they're saying this was set up and Top Gear isn't a documentary! Next they'll be saying it's an entertainment show loosely based around cars.....

1985 Dutton Phaeton Series 3 1300GT

loggyboy

posted on 30/3/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds similar to the embelished review (cough 'storey' ) about the Stratos Kitcar.

[Edited on 30/3/11 by loggyboy]

Irony

posted on 30/3/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
I find it a bit upsetting that Top Gear can literally 'make or break' manufacturers. I like Top Gear and it makes me laugh but when they are doing proper car reviews they should give a fair and factual review. The whole Stratos incident was literally unforgivable and it seems the Tesla review might have been the same. They are dealing with the future sales of small/medium manufacturers which directly corresponds to the companies owners/employees. Thats people jobs on the line, people morgages being paid and food on the table.

Clarkson needs a slap.

Liam

posted on 30/3/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Lol they're both being silly if you ask me. No publicity is bad publicity and all that. I can see where Tesla are coming from, though - making an issue of running out of charge was a bit misleading. Any car will run out of fuel if the driver is a big enough moron (Top Gear presenters, for example?). So why bother showing that for the Tesla? The implication was that it can suddenly and unexpectedly run out of charge, which in reality it wont any more than a petrol car with a broken fuel guage. I expect that's what Tesla are peed off about.

Having said that I thought they were overall quite fair to the car, pointing out its pros and cons in a less petrol-head-biassed way than they tend to treat anything else electric/hybrid. Review is on youtube somewhere.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HappyFather

posted on 30/3/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of curiosity... People are comparing this incident with the Stratos show. I have to say that I thought the Stratos episode was great. It just pointed out that if the builder doesn't do his job right, it might have problems. But "in the end of the day, you may be passing by a store window and see the reflection of you in your car. And it will seem like a Stratos. And that is all that matters" (loosely quoted from memory). What was the big problem with the Stratos review that I missed?

By the way, when I found about kit cars was because I found there were Stratos replicas and for some years that was what I dreamed of having. Later had to scale my dream down to a Seven, otherwise would not make it. But still hope to build one, one day. Specially now that Lister Bell showed up with a renewed great kit with a smaller price tag (but not small enough )

Thank you for explaining it to me...

HappyFather

BenB

posted on 30/3/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HappyFather
Just out of curiosity... People are comparing this incident with the Stratos show. I have to say that I thought the Stratos episode was great. It just pointed out that if the builder doesn't do his job right, it might have problems. But "in the end of the day, you may be passing by a store window and see the reflection of you in your car. And it will seem like a Stratos. And that is all that matters" (loosely quoted from memory). What was the big problem with the Stratos review that I missed?

By the way, when I found about kit cars was because I found there were Stratos replicas and for some years that was what I dreamed of having. Later had to scale my dream down to a Seven, otherwise would not make it. But still hope to build one, one day. Specially now that Lister Bell showed up with a renewed great kit with a smaller price tag (but not small enough )

Thank you for explaining it to me...

HappyFather

I seem to recall they asked someone out of the blue to provide a car (without any notice) and then critisized it for being badly prep'd. Which seems a bit cheeky.

marcjagman

posted on 30/3/11 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
In my mind it was merely an opinion of a broadcaster, love it or loath it that is what the programme is all about the opinion of the presenter. We all know that going round a race track uses more fuel than normal road use so maybe it really did only do 55 miles on the track.
smart51

posted on 30/3/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
From what I've read, Tesla are suing because the BBC won't stop broadcasting repeats of the article. Given that 20 minutes is taken out for re-airing on Dave, it wouldn't be hard to do.

hughpinder

posted on 30/3/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Seems to me that tesla are using this to stir up some interest.
Top gear said "we only got 55miles to a charge" - seems not bad considering the way they were hooning about. Telsa are suing because they have achieved 250 miles on a "euro approved test", so they are saying the top gear test was wrong. Its a bit like BMW taking top gear to court if they said the m3 averaged 12 mpg round their track, saying the "euro extra urban" mpg for an m3 is 33.2mpg. Interesting that this appeared on:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/18/bbc_tesla_edinburgh_e_car_shenanigans/
recently.

Tesla are somewhat economical with the truth as well - see the article above: on their web site that they say they manages london to edinburgh in a day using standard socket to charge twice. Actually only drove 400 miles, and they used special high current sockets to charge to keep the time down and only made about 40mph average when moving.

Still like the look of a tesla - just needs to be about 1/4 of the price!
Hugh

scootz

posted on 30/3/11 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
I think TG has a lot to answer for!

They are the 'tabloid' of the motoring media world, and a huge number of (potential) motorists take their view as gospel!

It's Evolution Baby!

dhutch

posted on 30/3/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I find it a bit upsetting that Top Gear can literally 'make or break' manufacturers. I like Top Gear and it makes me laugh but when they are doing proper car reviews they should give a fair and factual review.

This, a lot.

Also:-

quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Lol they're both being silly if you ask me. No publicity is bad publicity and all that. I can see where Tesla are coming from, though - making an issue of running out of charge was a bit misleading. Any car will run out of fuel if the driver is a big enough moron (Top Gear presenters, for example?). So why bother showing that for the Tesla? The implication was that it can suddenly and unexpectedly run out of charge, which in reality it wont any more than a petrol car with a broken fuel guage. I expect that's what Tesla are peed off about.

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
From what I've read, Tesla are suing because the BBC won't stop broadcasting repeats of the article. Given that 20 minutes is taken out for re-airing on Dave, it wouldn't be hard to do.

blakep82

posted on 30/3/11 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
i'm going to sue 'top gun' for not being a factual film. same with 'teeth', though it was pretty funny.

rediculous. in my mind, tesla are just trying their luck for some free money

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

designer

posted on 30/3/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
If any of the public take notice of any reviews done by the Top Gear lot, they are a very sad lot as the programme has lost all credibility.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 30/3/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
it can't be factual, afterll JC did say the Yeti was the best car ever,...

TG is funny - end of!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

britishtrident

posted on 30/3/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Like them or not electric cars and hybrids are an important issue they should have known better, while I am pretty sure when driven hard the range of the Tesla and other current electric cars is nowhere near that of conventional and hybrid cars Top Gear should have done an honest report.

It more worrying illustrates the lack of control the BBC has over content it commissions from external companies.

[Edited on 30/3/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Ninehigh

posted on 30/3/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman
In my mind it was merely an opinion of a broadcaster, love it or loath it that is what the programme is all about the opinion of the presenter. We all know that going round a race track uses more fuel than normal road use so maybe it really did only do 55 miles on the track.

Bingo, now I know my Mondeo can do 600 miles on a tankful, if I'm careful. I'm sure I could get that down to 300 by trying to shred the tyres.

ditchlewis

posted on 30/3/11 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
regardless of the 55 miles or not what TG was trying to say was that with the current infrastructure and technology it would take 3 to 12 hours to recharge the car and if you were on a track day that would cause a problem unless you had 6 or 7 cars to play with (£700000 to £900000).

as for the statos replica i wonder if the real thing would have been any better - Put together, prepared or reliable? they were a bit unfair on that guys pride and joy.

I certainly don't watch top gear for its indepth and factual reviews of cars

ditch

morcus

posted on 31/3/11 at 02:28 AM Reply With Quote
When I read this in the news it did seem to me that Tesla are trying to sue TG for something that was actually very plausable and I reckon is true, that driven round a track it will only do 55 miles or what ever it was which is fairly impressive in it's own right.

TBH did they not think to watch the program before agreeing to be on it? One of the Best things about TG is it's on the BBC so they can actually give us a coherent opinion because they aren't funded by adverts (Alot of the time 5th Gear does twin test and doesn't really tell you which one they think is best).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Liam

posted on 31/3/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Here's what JC wrote at the time...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article5483422.ece

If that was really Tesla's response at the time, I wonder why they have decided to sue now? Publicity stunt, I guess?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.