Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First time pass a Nottingham
dinger205

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
First time pass a Nottingham

Hi guys, Just thought I'd share with you my finished GBS Zero, Its taken a year and 1 month to complete and is fitted with an ST170 engine, Fueling is contolled by Dunnel throttle bodies and an EC motorsport ECU contolling the VVT via cam sensor control,

Just waiting for the logbook and tax disc to drop onto my door matt,

Thanks

Dave

The Black Flash

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one!
Great colour too Can I ask what green paint you used on the engine ?

chrisxr2

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
nice

Oh i like that a lot, front headlights look mean as fook.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

dinger205

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks,

Some say green is unlucky,,,,, and there has only been two other kawazaki green Zero's made, both were written off within two weeks of registration, So there's a challenge there,

The Paint is just 2k bought from a bodyshop supplies ahop, sprayed with a gun, Only time will tell to see if it discolours,

I've painted many rocker covers in 2k and never had any issiues if cured properly.

graememk

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
jcb headlights ?

coozer

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice indeed, wel done. See you at the shows..

Q? What benefit is the cam sensor?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

dinger205

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
jcb headlights ?

Well spotted that man (or woman)

I thought they would be IVA proof, However, because the indicators showed light to the back it makes tham side repeaters too, and you are not aloud 2 side repeaters,,, While the inspector was having a tea break I dismantled them and painted black inside the lenses,

Was onle going to use them for IVA but they have grown on me and give the car charachter.

dinger205

posted on 1/4/11 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Without the ECU knowing the position of the cam you cannot get fully sequential injection, neither can you fully use VVT, Most aftermarket ECU's will control cam timing as an on/off switch, usually switched at a set rpm,
Using an ecu that has the ability to see the cam timing vvt is now as it was designed to work Variable,,,,,,

I had emmision issues with my old ecu because it would not sequential inject, saving fuel in the ports for the next bang which raises hydrocarbons,

Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/4/11 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Nice job

Congrats on the pass, just need to book the long hot summer now

Regarding the paint, you say 2-pack was used, did you do it yourself? The reason I ask is that I intend to get my paint from a guy local to my work who supplies bike and car paints to order. I asked him about which type and said I'd heard all the horror stories about 2-pack, but he told me that 'things had moved on' since the early days and he reckoned a filter mask he sold would be fine with ventilation. I've since read another article that suggest otherwise and am still a bit 'iffy about doing it. I'm happy to spray myself but am thinking cellulose might be a better option as it's not quite so deadly!

Any thoughts on the matter would be gratefully received.

BTW, sorry for the hijack

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

adithorp

posted on 2/4/11 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one!

Take care out there; It's over enthusiasm that results in quick write-offs, not the colour. Have you got the registration paperwork in progress already?

Those headlights (not to my taste) could be a solution to the problems people are having with side repeaters. Fit just them for the test and normal position ones after maybe???

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

omega 24 v6

posted on 2/4/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Nice

A very clean and quick build that IMHO will put to rest the GBS zero slaggers. As I've often said the end result is the skill and finnesse of the builder and that is stunning.
I especially like the last photo, where it looks like you arrived in a plume of tyre smoke, going by the black wheelspin lines behind

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

coozer

posted on 2/4/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dinger205
quote:

Without the ECU knowing the position of the cam you cannot get fully sequential injection, neither can you fully use VVT, Most aftermarket ECU's will control cam timing as an on/off switch, usually switched at a set rpm,
Using an ecu that has the ability to see the cam timing vvt is now as it was designed to work Variable,,,,,,

I had emmision issues with my old ecu because it would not sequential inject, saving fuel in the ports for the next bang which raises hydrocarbons,

Interesting, how does the cam sensor make the vvt variable? My MS is set to come on over 3K AND above 40% tps. I always thought it was oil pressure that made it variable.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

dinger205

posted on 2/4/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dinger205
quote:

Interesting, how does the cam sensor make the vvt variable? My MS is set to come on over 3K AND above 40% tps. I always thought it was oil pressure that made it variable.

Ok, I'll take a deep breath and try to explain as best i can in text.

The solonoid controls the oil flow to the cam pulley changing the lift on the inlet cam, on the focus it pulses the solonoid to get the right amount of lift at any particular time, (adjusting the oil pressure)
As you say, the MS can only switch the solonoid on and off via a shift light output from the ecu, this should then be run to a relay which contols the switching of the solonoid,
The problem with this is that you get a harsh switch between lowest lift and full lift, Lowest lift giving a bhp figure of around 80 and full lift giving 172 ish. There is no problem running it like this as long as you get the right switch over point to your own style of driving,
The cam sensor will let the ecu know what position the cam is at and will work out the best lift together with infomation from the TPS, The mapper will then need to modify map to suit. It also allows for fuel to be injected exactly at the right time, on my ecu the solonoid control is done through a micro chip which alows fast earth switching to pulse the solonoid.

The biggest difference in using cam control is bottom end power and smooth delivery, As you can see on my power graph below, the engine is producing 150ish Lbs of torque at 2500rpm and holding pretty much level until reaching peek torque at 167Lbs where Bhp takes over, the dip in torque around 3600 is poor exhaust flow, possibly as its 4 into 1,

I spent the last 4 month of the build trying to get my megasquirt to run properly, it was running well but I knew the emmissions were well out, A guy on here reccomended "tour de force" who said they would have a look, after 2 hours the hydrocarbons were still way off and it wasnt worth carrying on, My only way to get emmisions down was to go fully sequential injection, Or, put a pinto in it and go through IVA with that!

But I'd come too far to start over again, And still have the same issues afterwards, so I bit the bullet and got them to fit the new ECU and wiring loom,

And relax, lol

johny p

posted on 2/4/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
luv the zero pal.. enjoy!
dinger205

posted on 2/4/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments guys, It means alot
dinger205

posted on 2/4/11 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Nice job

Congrats on the pass, just need to book the long hot summer now

Regarding the paint, you say 2-pack was used, did you do it yourself? The reason I ask is that I intend to get my paint from a guy local to my work who supplies bike and car paints to order. I asked him about which type and said I'd heard all the horror stories about 2-pack, but he told me that 'things had moved on' since the early days and he reckoned a filter mask he sold would be fine with ventilation. I've since read another article that suggest otherwise and am still a bit 'iffy about doing it. I'm happy to spray myself but am thinking cellulose might be a better option as it's not quite so deadly!

Any thoughts on the matter would be gratefully received.

BTW, sorry for the hijack

No problem at all,

If you are only doing a few small bits painting 2k in your garage on low pressure aint gonna hurt you, I've been in the bodyshop trade for many years and have no ill effects,,,, cough cough,

Remeber to use a fast hardner if not baking the parts and only mix what you need as unlike oil based or cellulose it will go hard in the tin,

Painting hot objects with oil or cellulose will fade or crack very fast as these paints do not fully harden. Good luck and dont forget to show us the results.

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.