Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Video of first start and now disaster !
Tris

posted on 2/4/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Video of first start and now disaster !

Well after a lot of hard work over the last week, the time came today to start my ZX12r powered Spire GTR. There was a couple of small wiring issues but these were easily sorted - here's the vid :--

http://gallery.me.com/tkipling#100008/IMG_0419&bgcolor=black

And now to the disaster bit. My car is off the ground on axel stands, allowing us to put the car into gear and to turn the wheels gently. This produced a weird ticking sound when the car was in gear, turning the wheels and the clutch fully retracted.

After the third gentle run trying to find the source of this ticking noise, the engine totally seized !. I must say at this point that the engine was barely warm and had good oil pressure. The current situation is that with the gearbox in neutral, and with the clutch retracted, the starter will not turn the motor over (stalls).

It was weird in that the noise only happened when the clutch was fully disengaged and the gears engaged. I am fairly resigned to the possibility of taking the engine out and investigating, but does anyone have any idea's ?

Cheers
Tris

mr_pr

posted on 2/4/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
When you say the starter motor stalls...

Does it turn the engine at all?

My Build Progress

myke pocock

posted on 2/4/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Is it not just a clutch problem that has caused it to lock up in the bell housing somehow. Perhaps that was the "ticking" noise? Can you easily seperate the engine and box to have a shufty or just crack them open a bit and see what happens?
Tris

posted on 2/4/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I mean that the starter motor stalls and it's not able to turn the motor over at all.

Myke - that's what I am hoping although I would of thought that if that's the case I would be able to turn the engine over while it's in neutral. Unfortunately it's not a straight forward job to see without taking the engine out

adithorp

posted on 2/4/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
Is it not just a clutch problem that has caused it to lock up in the bell housing somehow. Perhaps that was the "ticking" noise? Can you easily seperate the engine and box to have a shufty or just crack them open a bit and see what happens?

Bike engine Mike, so no bell housing. However I'd pull the clutch cover off and have a look in there first. Could it be a pressure plate/spring bolt thats come loose and jammed against the cover. Can you get at it in-situ?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

cosmick

posted on 2/4/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
If the clutch won't rotate, then neither will the starter, so take the clutch cover off before you take the engine out. Chances are that the ticking noise you heard was the clutch being pushed too far by the pedal and it has probaably damaged it.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.