Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Finally killed the ZZR engine.......
jossey

posted on 6/4/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Finally killed the ZZR engine.......

Well im sure alot of you know about my zzr engine issues.

well today i finally sorted them....

I sorted the air leak and it ran sooo well.

after leaving it to warm up i gave it a bit of throttle to about 11,000 rpm and the next thing i know a con rod flew out from under the engine.

needless to say the engine is dead.

The guy who rebuilt it i guess didnt lock tight the nuts and bolts and see below for the result.

Anyway its a shame cos the engine had only done 20,000 miles since new....

Your views will be helpful as always. least i have decided between bike and car engine.

ill get the new carbs exhaust and wiring n sling on ebay. if you need owt let me know.

sideview2
sideview2

on floor undamaged....

[Edited on 6/4/11 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 6/4/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
ouch!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

big_l

posted on 6/4/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
oh cock oh well there is plenty more out there at least you now have a spare gear box starter clutch etc etc think of all the positives

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

femster87

posted on 6/4/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
ooh, what have you done
jossey

posted on 6/4/11 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Good way to look at it. lots of spares now lol

femster..... i foooked it lol

ran sooo sweet till it blew a hole in side of engine lol

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 6/4/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty more out there?! Where? People keep saying this but I can never find one at a sane price.

I do actually know of a chap who was trying to ebay one in bits, in case you want to get the cases and bits you need from him.

Was it #3 rod and the well known #3 under-oiling?

[Edited on 6/4/11 by coyoteboy]

Lightning

posted on 6/4/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
you must be gutted. these things are sent to try us. best of luck with whatever you decide to do

Steve

matt_gsxr

posted on 6/4/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to hear of this outcome.

Focusing on the positives, you are learning a lot about bike engines.
And, well done on fixing the air leak.
And, it was always going to go, so better now than on the motorway on the way to your IVA test.

Are you going to try to get another the same, or going CEC?

Coyoteboys mates bits are on e-bay:
Kawasaki ZZR1100 Complete Engine Parts on eBay (end time 12-Apr-11 19:37:19 BST)

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/4/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
what a pest hope you get something sorted soon, at least your not hurt

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

jollygreengiant

posted on 6/4/11 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Good way to look at it. lots of spares now lol

femster..... i foooked it lol

ran sooo sweet till it blew a hole in side of engine lol

I know the feeling. 17 years old and I managed to to the same to my dads recently rebuilt 1600Xflow mk 2 cortina estate (Fully loaded back end, it took two cars to unload what was in the boot), whilst keeping up with a Fiat Mirafiori 131 Twin cam down the M27 whilst heading towards Romsey. Dad was asleep in the back and mum asleep in the front, until THE bang, that is. I'm still not sure which made the most noise, the bang or my mums whingeing, dad was fairly philisophical about it. Until the bill came in for a NEW engine, the only useable bits were the manfolds and rocker cover (dented from the inside). Sorry no pics, it was 32 years ago.

165/13 tyres, 4.25 diff pulling about 90mph for about 15 miles and the fiat was not getting away.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

jossey

posted on 7/4/11 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Coyote .... No it was number two what came out.

The chap you know with one in bits maybe handy cheers

Matt....

Cheers for eBay link I've messaged him.

Ye I was pleased I'm getting my head around how it works. Is a shame but I guess it could have been slot worse. Funny thing was it was still
Running after the big bang lol I had to run to the stop button.

About the deciding on what to do next BEC and CEC

Well if I can get a cheap Zzr1100 then I'll stay BEC but if not then there is a ton of v8's for a few hundred quid.

The bike sounded so sweet when I fixed it all

Cheers All

[Edited on 7/4/11 by jossey]

[Edited on 7/4/11 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/4/11 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Jossey,

I cracked a barrel the other day after I put the turbo on. Too much compression and too little caution!

Its annoying, but I picked up a set of pistons and barrels for Ģ50.

So, the good thing about these old engines (mine is 1994) is that the bits are pretty cheap. The cost of gaskets and oil becomes more than the bits themselves.

If you do change direction then think really carefully. You could end up with lots to change (i.e. diff, springs, engine mounts, exhaust, propshaft, potentially chassis rails, fueling). I am not trying to put you off, but the route to a timely and cost effective build is to have a good plan and to stick to it.

Matt

jossey

posted on 7/4/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
hi matt,

ye it makes sense ive built the chassis with welded mounts for the engine and everything is setup that way.

ill keep my eye out for another zzr1100 engine and with any luck ill get something.

that engine cost me nothing which makes me feel a little better. as i bought the whole bike n sold off the bits.

sorry to hear about your mishap.

ill keep on trucking with the bike engine idea. i have enough other stuff to be going on with lol

dave

Thanks

David Johnson

Major Stare

posted on 7/4/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bad news on the engine but i agree with Matt. You have everything there to put a new/replacement engine in with minimal effort. Swapping to CEC will potentially cost more and take a considerable amount of time.

My two pence - fit another ZZR engine and keep whats still works as spares or sell on to fund the replacment engine.

Jon "FISH"

mark.s

posted on 8/4/11 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
what is the engine model c or d ?
jossey

posted on 8/4/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
It's a c model but most of c bits fit I've been told.

Thanks

David Johnson

Angel Acevedo

posted on 12/4/11 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

after leaving it to warm up i gave it a bit of throttle to about 11,000 rpm and the next thing i know a con rod flew out from under the engine.

The guy who rebuilt it i guess didnt lock tight the nuts and bolts and see below for the result.

Your views will be helpful as always. least i have decided between bike and car engine.

ill get the new carbs exhaust and wiring n sling on ebay. if you need owt let me know.

sideview2
sideview2

on floor undamaged....

Jossey,
Donīt want to be rude, but revving an engine that high with no load was not very wise. Or is it a common practice?
I donīt know what the redline is, but I wouldnīt want to go beyond halfway or three quarters of the rev range with the engine with no load.
Also, you state that the engine builder didnīt "lock tight" the nuts and bolts, what do you mean by this? That he didnīt use full torque? or that he didnīt put threadlocker?
Anyway, a connecting rod coming loose must have made a lot of noise before going away like this one did.
Hope this helps somebody in the future avoid this result.
Regards
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

Guinness

posted on 12/4/11 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know the bolts on the con rods are a one use only deal.

Is this what happens if the engine has been apart and the bolts re-used rather than replaced???

Anyway, can everyone please stop killing big ole zeds. Where am I going to get my next one from!

jossey

posted on 15/4/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
i bought it from a guy who had just had it rebuilt so i guess it was done wrong looking at the damage lol

ive bought a d model now.

just need to know what will go from my c3 to the d model engine....

quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
As far as I know the bolts on the con rods are a one use only deal.

Is this what happens if the engine has been apart and the bolts re-used rather than replaced???

Anyway, can everyone please stop killing big ole zeds. Where am I going to get my next one from!

Thanks

David Johnson

jossey

posted on 15/4/11 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
i dont really know very much about the engines. but when ive been watching people testing engines when they have been buying them or putting them in their bike ive seen them red line it before installing.

noise wise there was no noise till the big bang.

threadlock is what i meant which seems to be the reason it came lose.

im unsure about if you should or should not rev a engine that high but you learn something new everyday.

the load shouldnt make any difference. i see enough biker mates red lining the bikes on the spot with it in neutral.

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
quote:

sideview2
sideview2

on floor undamaged....

Jossey,
Donīt want to be rude, but revving an engine that high with no load was not very wise. Or is it a common practice?
I donīt know what the redline is, but I wouldnīt want to go beyond halfway or three quarters of the rev range with the engine with no load.
Also, you state that the engine builder didnīt "lock tight" the nuts and bolts, what do you mean by this? That he didnīt use full torque? or that he didnīt put threadlocker?
Anyway, a connecting rod coming loose must have made a lot of noise before going away like this one did.
Hope this helps somebody in the future avoid this result.
Regards
AA

Thanks

David Johnson

mattyc

posted on 15/4/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap zx10 engine going in the for sale section would fit nicely were yours is!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content Đ 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [Đ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.