Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diesel kit car
matty h

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel kit car

Anyone had the same thought as me,which is to fit a modern diesel engine into a kit car get performance and mpg.Thinking bmw, vag or vauxhall engine.
big-vee-twin

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Somebody built a MEV rocket that was diesel powered it was at Newark Last year.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

tegwin

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
The only "acceptable" diesel is a V10 TDI!.. :p
chrisxr2

posted on 8/4/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
No

No, no,no,no i like the noice my kitcar makes an awful lot so a diesel is just a no for me thanks

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Mark G

posted on 8/4/11 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
it has been discussed on here before a few times. Generally speaking if you want to give it a go then I say go for it.

But...

It will smell bad and sound awful.

morcus

posted on 8/4/11 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I read something in a magazine about a diesel westfield.

I don't think you'd get much economic benefit and as above the sound would be awful.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

MikeRJ

posted on 8/4/11 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus

The original was built by Westfield and christened the "Weasel" (Wiesel?). It used the horrendous Ford 1.8 lump (known as the Endura in later years).

Someone in PPC magazine won a Westfield kit and put a VAG diesel engine in it, don't know if it was ever finished but the pictures of bit of wood etc. being used for brackets didn't exactly point to a quality build.

Why on earth would you want to fit a heavy, noisy, smelly, low revving engine into a lightweight sports car?

FASTdan

posted on 8/4/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by morcus

The original was built by Westfield and christened the "Weasel" (Wiesel?). It used the horrendous Ford 1.8 lump (known as the Endura in later years).

Someone in PPC magazine won a Westfield kit and put a VAG diesel engine in it, don't know if it was ever finished but the pictures of bit of wood etc. being used for brackets didn't exactly point to a quality build.

Why on earth would you want to fit a heavy, noisy, smelly, low revving engine into a lightweight sports car?

Here here!

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
matty h

posted on 8/4/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I run a kit car as my every day car so was just thinking of the fuel savings.
Is this the westfield in question,I did also see the mev rocket with the diesel.
WESTFIELD DIESEL RED | eBay UK
Matty

David Jenkins

posted on 8/4/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Diesels worked quite well for Audi in the recent le Mans races...

greglogan

posted on 8/4/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
A guy over here in Ireland built a Westfield (as mentioned above). He used an Audi lump (110 BHP variant, methinks). I know he got it driving and took it to a track day but not sure if he ever registered it.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of diesels, so I say go for it!

............. I'll go now

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 8/4/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Before i fitted the nissan turbo engine i did think about fitting a turbo diesel thats as far as it got thinking
it's not like these cars are used everyday so much so i getting shut of my focus tdci and getting a VXR corsa instead then that will make 2 turbo petrol cars for me

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

austin man

posted on 8/4/11 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
the VAG units will push out 190 bhp with a bucket full of torque. I run a 1.8 petrol turbo remapped to around 200 and it has a fig on its hands againdt the tuned diesels that give 45mpg against my 25 when pushed

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

owelly

posted on 8/4/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Crispin who won the Westy kit in PPC and fitted a DERV lump drove it over from Ireland last year to PPC in the PARK (track time selling out fast, loads more attractions. Book now to avoid dissappointment!!). He drove it fast (but within the speed limits officer) all the way (with the exception of on the ferry) and still got 1,000,000 miles to the gallon. Or over 80mpg IIRC!
Still sounds a bit wrong though!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 9/4/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Diesels worked quite well for Audi in the recent le Mans races...

Thats aren't actually running on anything resembling pump Diesel.... at all.

The only relation those cars have to road car diesel engines is that they use compression ignition.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coozer

posted on 9/4/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I thought about for a while for my latest, but then thought a petrol V8 made much more sense

[Edited on 9/4/11 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

iank

posted on 9/4/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Somebody built a MEV rocket that was diesel powered it was at Newark Last year.

That would be dinosaurjuice on here.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

FASTdan

posted on 9/4/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Its not just the performance (yes I'll admit, diesels can perform reasonably well these days).......they're just DULL!! DULL DULL DULL!

Half the enjoyment of our MK is hearing it scream through ALL the 6-7k revs, up to the redline pinning you into the seat as it does. I run a mondeo ST TDCI (so a 'performance' diesel) and whilst it can keep a nice pace it still totally lacks 'character' in the engine department.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

Ninehigh

posted on 11/4/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
the VAG units will push out 190 bhp with a bucket full of torque. I run a 1.8 petrol turbo remapped to around 200 and it has a fig on its hands againdt the tuned diesels that give 45mpg against my 25 when pushed

That would make it the anti-bec then?

Iirc from previous arguments there are some issues:
1. Rumbly old engine with p-poor performance vs newer engine with ecu problems (exactly what those problems are I can't remember.
2. Getting the same amount of performance because of what is essentially a heavier engine (also torque vs bhp comes into this one I think)
3. People who are going to laugh at you because it sounds like a van.

Now it would be interesting to put to identical cars together, with a busa engine and a diesel one, both tuned to the same fuel consumption and weight. Then we'll see how well they do

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.