Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BOC are killing me - alternative in Scotland?
v8kid

posted on 8/4/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
BOC are killing me - alternative in Scotland?

Just got my renewal in for rental of X size Argoshield £75.84!!!

What's more its around £50 IIRC to get a refil by the time all the extra's are added on a nd thats every 6 months.

Is there a cheaper pucca alternative for proper welding gas - not pub co2?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeaBass

posted on 8/4/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've returned my Air Products Integra Cylinder - Pure Argon.

Rental started off around £80 a year. It's crept up to £130.

Couldn't take that for welding up (mainly other peoples!) components.

I'm looking into Adams Gas and other options.

James

hillbillyracer

posted on 8/4/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using Dixons of Westerhope, they use a welding supplies place in Carlisle as a depot & I pick up rom there. I think they may have adepot in Glasgow? Here's their site: http://www.dixonsofwesterhope.co.uk/industrialgases/
A bit cheaper than BOC & I can pick up on a saterday morning which is a big thing, with BOC I'd have to get down there for 8;15am when they open & dash back to work 20 miles away for 9, no time to combine the trip with any other jobs, waste of fuel!

daviep

posted on 8/4/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I also returned my Argon Integra at the end of last year

Just started looking around again, I've been looking at Albee cylinders from Air Liquide, there's a supplier in Glasgow -Weldtech. Not had a chance to call them as I'm stuck in Canada at the moment.

ALBEE Home page

It would be nice if we could update this thread with any deals.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

macspeedy

posted on 8/4/11 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
code:
I'm stuck in Canada at the moment.

if only !!

paulbeyer

posted on 8/4/11 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Stick with BOC but negotiate a better deal. I posted the following on this forum last summer......

I have always had a BOC Argoshield bottle and paid a small fortune for the gas and the bottle rental. That was until I discovered that BOC were offering a "hobbyist discount" over on the Mig Welding forum.
The guy at BOC that set up this discount for non commercial customers is into car restoration and posts on the welding forum. I now have replaced my small X sized bottle for the huge Y sized bottle (this is going to last me ages) for £61.31 for the gas and an annual rental of £35.77. Now I know this is still dearer that tapping up your local landlord for pub gas but it is a much better deal for any existing BOC customers amongst us and anyone considering Argoshield. The guy you need to contact is

Justin Crook
Business Development Advisor
Direct Sales
CSC Worsley, Manchester
Tel : 0161 930 6822
E Mail : justin.crook@boc.com

From my experience he is one of the most helpful friendly people you will ever deal with.

Contact Justin and ask him to put you onto the hobbyist discount deal, he should be able to sort it for you over the phone.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

daviep

posted on 8/4/11 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macspeedy
code:
I'm stuck in Canada at the moment.

if only !!

I really am in Canada I promise, over here to inspect / function test new equipment but it's not finished being built yet.

macspeedy

posted on 8/4/11 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
I was meaning, i wish i was in Canada...... (edit'd) hic... k ..

[Edited on 8/4/11 by macspeedy]

John Bonnett

posted on 11/4/11 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Quote: Stick with BOC but negotiate a better deal. I posted the following on this forum last summer...... I have always had a BOC Argoshield bottle and paid a small fortune for the gas and the bottle rental. That was until I discovered that BOC were offering a "hobbyist discount" over on the Mig Welding forum. The guy at BOC that set up this discount for non commercial customers is into car restoration and posts on the welding forum. I now have replaced my small X sized bottle for the huge Y sized bottle (this is going to last me ages) for £61.31 for the gas and an annual rental of £35.77. Now I know this is still dearer that tapping up your local landlord for pub gas but it is a much better deal for any existing BOC customers amongst us and anyone considering Argoshield. The guy you need to contact is Justin Crook Business Development Advisor Direct Sales CSC Worsley, Manchester Tel : 0161 930 6822 E Mail : justin.crook@boc.com From my experience he is one of the most helpful friendly people you will ever deal with. Contact Justin and ask him to put you onto the hobbyist discount deal, he should be able to sort it for you over the phone.

Thank you for the contact Paul. You are right, Justin is very helpful and I received a very prompt reply from him. This is his reply:

Hi John

The discount was only for Argoshield Light for light Mig welding

this does not apply to the gases you take

there is no " General Discounts " for hobbyists at the moment ...however.....
We are working on some new products and pricing for the hobbyist market which we will announce soon

Kind regards

Justin

So, no help for those of us who use pure Argon and oxy acetylene but some hope in the future maybe.

John

daviep

posted on 11/4/11 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for posting your results Paul, it will save everybody contacting the guy to ask the same question.

I'll try and chase up on the Albee cylinders when ever I make it back to the UK.

Regards
Davie

v8kid

posted on 12/4/11 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Ta for the contact Paul I'm sorted now Justin is a good guy.

As it turns out Argoshield Light is better for my applications than the Universal I was using untill now. Light is for up to 4mm thick steel which is about the capacity of my mig welder anyhow.

Justin had all questions asked, answeres and account changed in 24 hours - I wish all suppliers had a "justin"

In my opinion this deal makes BOC hard to beat if you are into hobby welding mild steel.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 14/6/11 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just been looking at the adamsgas site and emailed the contact. Here is a copy of the reply, which may interest the scottish/ north east guys.

"We can get cylinders to you, or if you are not in a hurry, we are in talks
with Turrif Caravans as to becoming a stockist of our cylinders in your area

Regards

Steve"

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

indykid

posted on 14/6/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've been really happy with my albee argon cylinder for the TIG. Pretty hefty upfront costs, but easily paid off in a few years compared to renting. It's filled to 300 bar iirc so has a fair bit more gas in it compared to other cylinders of that size.

The double edged sword is that it has a built in regulator and flow meter. Its ideal that everything is compact and contained within the bump cage on the top of the cylinder and it all gets changed for new serviced stuff when you exchange the cylinder (so you don't need to worry about leak checking the reg), but makes it a bit of a faff if you're needing to back purge stainless welds.

It looks like they do a MIG mix now too. Might price it up next time I get the argon refilled but I don't think I use the MIG enough to justify a big bottle.

Gsharpy1

posted on 16/8/13 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
New Glasgow Supplier - Rent Free Welding Gas Bottles

Hi Guys

There is a supplier in Partick in Glasgow that does proper welding gas in proper cylinders which are rent free.

I have just handed back my BOC cylinder after I got a bill for over £100 for the Argoshield rental, these guys do rent free cylinders.

They take a deposit (£100 for my 20L bottle) then you just pay for the gas. They said anytime I wanted a refill they would swap my empty cylinder for a full cylinder. If I ever decided I no longer needed the cylinder I was told just to give it back and as long as its not damaged then the deposit is given back. They said even if it is damaged or defaced I'd get some of my deposit back with just a charge for whatever I did to the cylinder.

I got 5% Argon/CO2 mix (I used BOC Argoshield Light before) - I can confirm it works perfectly. 20L bottle cost me £58+vat so £69.60, plus my £100 deposit. Next time it'll just be £69.60 for a refill - and no rental charges!!!!

I picked up a leaflet of their prices so you guys can check it out

Argon/CO2 5%, Argon/CO2 20%, Oxygen - all £30+vat for 9 Litres and £58+vat for 20 litre bottles
Pure Argon was £48+vat for 9 litres and £80+vat for 20 litres
Nitrogen was £28.50+vat for 9 litres and £49.50+vat for 20 litres.

The company was

Balloons and Gas Ltd
Unit 6
8 Meadow Road
Partick
Glasgow
G11 6HX

0141 337 3373

They are just off Dumbarton Road, near the Thornwood roudabout and the Partick police station.

They are open Mon-Sat, and have a car park. They are a party and balloon shop - they said they are massive sellers of helium nationwide and have just started to expand into other gases. Supposedly they have been around for the past 22 years so they are going nowhere fast.

Well worth a try - staff are not that experienced on welding, but they know what gas to give you. Assuming like me you know what you are looking for then these guys mean I no longer have to pay BOC cylinder rental - thankfully!

Hope this helps some of you guys

Graeme

loggyboy

posted on 16/8/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Why pretend you a customer of Balloons and Gas Ltd, when in fact you ARE Balloons and Gas Ltd?.

Mistral Motorsport

carpmart

posted on 17/8/13 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Why pretend you a customer of Balloons and Gas Ltd, when in fact you ARE Balloons and Gas Ltd?.

Agreed that it does read as a contrived advert - My guess is it seems to be a play to avoid paying for trader status?

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

loggyboy

posted on 17/8/13 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I just googled his user name, its the ebay ID for the company.
I think trader status was defined as selling multiple items regularly, so for one post would unlikely be necessary. Just seems a bit of a silly way to promote a company by instantly telling fibs!

Mistral Motorsport

ashg

posted on 17/8/13 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
These guys do rent free bottles in all sizes
http://www.barnet-welding.co.uk

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Minicooper

posted on 17/8/13 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Why does this bother you so much? it may save members money which is always good

David

loggyboy

posted on 17/8/13 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
quote:

Why does this bother you so much? it may save members money which is always good

David

It doesn't bother me, I just wondered why they felt the need to fabricate a positive customer review, rather than just be honest and right a simple advert post.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.