Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Koln axle!!!!!!!
Bigboystoys

posted on 11/4/11 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Koln axle!!!!!!!

Good morning
Hope you enjoyed your weekend in the sun. I am new to this site but was hoping someone might be able to help. I have a ford cjb special which is pretty much identical to a caterham style can and I'm having an issue regarding my axle. Not to my choice but I have a koln axle fitted to my car from a 2.0 mk5 1977 cortina. I have a Suzuki gsxr 1000 engine up the front and I'm looking at changing the ratio in my axle if possible. At the moment to cruise at 55mph my engine is Revving at 6000 rpm which is about 1500rpm more than I would like. Is it possible to change koln ratios or is there a replacement axle I could use that wouldn't need a massive amount of work to fit. Many thanks Sam

djtom

posted on 11/4/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
A capri axle from a 2.8 would be ideal - they're pretty much the same width as your Koln and they come with a 3.09:1 ratio which should drop your cruising revs a fair bit.

If you can find one from a 2.8i special it'll come with an LSD as well. Be prepared to pay strong money though, they're in demand by the rally boys as they're pretty much indestructable.

Tom

Miks15

posted on 11/4/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
firstly welcome,

second i cant help with your axle, but wondering if you have any pics of your car? never heard of it so would like to see how she looks

Bigboystoys

posted on 11/4/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replys, with the capri axle will I have to weld the bits onto the axle to allow the furnace of my torsion bars. Two either side going forward and bolting onto the side of the car. There is two either side one that runs on top of the axle and one on the bottom. Pictures to follow tonight, won't let me upload on an iPhone. Thanks for your help
Cheffy

posted on 11/4/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Welcome!

And yes, you'll need to fabricate brackets and weld (or have someone else weld) them to your new axle.

If you click on the link to my website at the bottom of this post, then click on the tab that says 'Anita's Zetec', there are some pictures under 'January 2008' of the brackets that I made and welded to a Koln axle.

HTH,

Mart.

[Edited on 11/4/11 by Cheffy]

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bigboystoys

posted on 11/4/11 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers cheffy but I have a koln but ideally want a atlas so I can change the ratio. Can't find anywhere that has different and crowns and pinions for the koln
Cheffy

posted on 11/4/11 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Yea, sorry, just meant it would give you an idea what would need doing bracket wise once you get an Atlas axle.

Mart.

[Edited on 11/4/11 by Cheffy]

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.