Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aluminium brackets for brake flexis
djaques

posted on 11/4/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Aluminium brackets for brake flexis

I'm confused... Are aluminium brackets for brake flexis an automatic IVA fail? Or does it just depend on the tester? Has anyone passed IVA with aluminium brackets to support the flexis?
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/4/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
why even go that route as they will just fatigue? Do the best you can with the brake system, there is no other as important

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 11/4/11 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
why even go that route as they will just fatigue? Do the best you can with the brake system, there is no other as important

Have to agree, I do have some Ali brackets on mine (passed SVA) but it's probably not recommended... Also the front hoses are mounted on the ally bodywork.. Of course the IVA might be different and this arrangement might fail.

Cheers

Dan

[Edited on 11/4/11 by Bluemoon]

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/4/11 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Do the best you can with the brake system, there is no other as important

what about the bolts that hold the wheels on, or the steering?

I do agree with the sentiment though

Miks15

posted on 11/4/11 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
why are you not recomending ali brackets?

I have some ali angle rivetted to my chassis which the flexi and copper pipe meet to hold it firm. Is this not recomended then?

blakep82

posted on 11/4/11 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
why are you not recomending ali brackets?

I have some ali angle rivetted to my chassis which the flexi and copper pipe meet to hold it firm. Is this not recomended then?

ali is more likely to work harden and break than steel is. thats all. i don't think ali would fail IVA though.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Irony

posted on 11/4/11 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have a few Aluminium brackets on my car (not on the road yet) and the robustness of them does worry me slightly. One of the Ali brackets I have holds the Cooling fan on (several ali brackets in fact). While the Ali worries be slightly its got to be better than the 'cable ties' the fan supplier supplied me with.

Also my alternator is held on by a cast ally bracket as supplied by Rover. So that must be okay. Common sense needed

britishtrident

posted on 11/4/11 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Aluminium alloy even if lightly loaded always have a finite fatigue life.

Steel as a general steel provided the load and amplitude of load reversals is kept within sensible limits can be regarded as having an infinite fatigue life.

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/4/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
quote:
Do the best you can with the brake system, there is no other as important

what about the bolts that hold the wheels on, or the steering?

I do agree with the sentiment though

hopefully if your wheels fell off or the steering broke you'd like to still be able to stop

a bracket for the brake pipe is going to be flexed every time you turn the steering wheel or go over a bump, just the worst thing you could have alluminium doing.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
djaques

posted on 11/4/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies. I know from pictures on the site that lots of people have used aluminium for the flexi brackets. I understand the fatigue problems, and that steel is the way to go to be certain. I just wondered if anyone had failed the IVA because the tester had judged that aluminium brackets were not adequate.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.