Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: long distance driving?
elf83

posted on 11/4/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
long distance driving?

Are bec's ok with long distance driving? Reliability etc stress on the engine? Was thinking of doing a trip to the nurburgring.
Major Stare

posted on 11/4/11 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Keep your eye on your temps and pressure's, carry a can of engine oil (not everywhere carries decent bike oil) and a cussion for your bum......... you will be fine

Jon "FISH"

johny p

posted on 11/4/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
as above mate.. bec"s do use alot of oil.. mine does anyway.. check it often mate
elf83

posted on 11/4/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Im checking it like mad now... i had the joy of my oil cooler pipe blowing off 2 nights ago, lucky for me i noticed very quickly and was only doing about 35mph, still lots a good 2.5 - 3 litres of oil. Re attached pipe re filled and trailered to gt motorcycles, engine given all clear! lol i was NOT happy at the time though. But yeah, 1st thing i do now is check the oil and have a spare 1 litre with me at all times.

Im getting a hydraulic company to make me some high pressure pipes and screw end fittings tomorrow to give me a bit of piece of mind too. Another thing... car is an mk indy, im running 15 inch trip 8's, what should my tire pressures be?

Oh and long trip... did anyone take a spare wheel just incase?

[Edited on 11/4/11 by elf83]

johny p

posted on 11/4/11 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
i keep mine at 25 psi mate.. should state it on the tyre wall.. keep mine on the softer side for better grip...
elf83

posted on 11/4/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it states max etc i believe but was wondering about an optimum someone more experienced may have, such as 25psi.. thanks
adithorp

posted on 11/4/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, they do distance fine provided everythings in order, but thats the same whatever the engine. I've clocked over 500miles in a day several times and 3000 in a week. Ear plugs are worth using, for the wind buffeting as much as engine noise.
Tyres presures are best found with a little trial and error, but for a BEC somewhere between 16-22psi. I like mine aroung 20psi hot and vary the cold presure depending on use and abiant temp to get that. So for a long run I'd be at say, 18psi but at a track day start at 16 and recheck after the first session.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Major Stare

posted on 11/4/11 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst mentioning loosing oil........ I have heard about oil caps working loose.

I am planning on fitting a spring to mine

Jon "FISH"

coyoteboy

posted on 12/4/11 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
not much different to doing the same distance on a bike, surely?
DRC INDY 7

posted on 12/4/11 at 05:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
not much different to doing the same distance on a bike, surely?

There is a little bit of a difference in that the car is at least twice the weight of the bike it came from other than that just check round the engine levels and don't go daft cos it has to get you there and back as well as trips round the ring

ps were going to the ring in july 5 of us

Ps make sure the oil filter is on tight it came undone twice on a zx12 bike engined mk indy

[Edited on 4/12/2011 by DRC INDY 7]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

coyoteboy

posted on 12/4/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
There is a little bit of a difference in that the car is at least twice the weight of the bike it came from

Yeah, but the length of trip isn't affected by that really - anything that the weight can affect is nothing to do with the length of trip. Weight affects things like how much you slip the clutch as you start off. Weight doesn't affect the loads in the gearbox. Weight affects the the length of time spent at open throttle if accelerating a lot, so cooling needs to be watched if you under-designed it for the job, if not it shouldn't be an issue?

James

posted on 12/4/11 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Remember, you can't (or shouldn't!) engine brake with a BEC! The gearboxes cant handle it I'm told.

Enjoy The ring! Would love to go there myself.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

elf83

posted on 12/4/11 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Good advice there James thanks something i wasnt aware of. Also thanks for stealing my user name... lol
Benzo

posted on 12/4/11 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
18Psi i ran in my Megabusa on 15" 888's.
Benzo

posted on 12/4/11 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Remember, you can't (or shouldn't!) engine brake with a BEC! The gearboxes cant handle it I'm told.

Enjoy The ring! Would love to go there myself.

Cheers,
James

Jez.. you not going hard enough if you dont need the engine brake! but yes it is sore on the box.

Wells

posted on 12/4/11 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ive done 4000 hard miles with my Hayabusa and never topped up the oil once. I have also use engine braking and have never had any issues.
Benzo

posted on 12/4/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
You should really have changed the oil a few times never mind topping it up in 4000miles!

Or do you mean between changes it hasnt used any?

James

posted on 12/4/11 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Am pretty sure Jasper is just one of many who destroyed their gearbox so definately worth being careful!

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

coyoteboy

posted on 12/4/11 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You should really have changed the oil a few times never mind topping it up in 4000miles!

Really? That seems nuts? Most of the bike intervals are 3K?

Bare

posted on 13/4/11 at 01:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wells
Ive done 4000 hard miles with my Hayabusa and never topped up the oil once. I have also use engine braking and have never had any issues.

Not to worry.. You will :0-)

Benzo

posted on 13/4/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

Really? That seems nuts? Most of the bike intervals are 3K?

Well if your driving it hard then you should... i change mine every 3 race days.. but im seeing oil temps of 160/70 degrees

A race day is about 54miles.. of driving hard.. so im changing it around every 200miles lol

It just seems mental to think that my car has done 8k miles in 10years, does that mean that it only needed changed every 3years/3k miles..? i wouldnt have thought so.

[Edited on 13/4/11 by Benzo]

[Edited on 13/4/11 by Benzo]

Wells

posted on 13/4/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I change the oil every 1000 miles. Its never used a drop in between.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.