Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend a FPS and driving game for a 'non-gamer'
Jasper

posted on 23/4/11 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Recommend a FPS and driving game for a 'non-gamer'

A mate of mine is seriously non-techie and not a gamer at all. However, he does rather like a simple game to play on his PC that involves killing things, preferably zombie/monster type stuff to while away 30 minutes or fun driving games. He's tried playing some of the more involved complicated new FPS on a mates machine but he really doesn't like games that are too hard and involve figuring out a load of stuff, and nothing that involves real war/battle scenarios like Call of Duty. And anything like GT5 is way beyond him.

To give you an idea his all time favour game at the arcade is House of the Dead series and on PS2 is Burnout Takedown.

So can anybody recommend any good simple fun FPS or driving games for PC or even PS3 which he's thinking of getting.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Humbug

posted on 23/4/11 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Neer heard of an FPS but a drving game for a non-driver could be:

get in your car

put a portable DVD player on your dashboard

Put Bullitt DVD into player, fast forward to the chase scene

Play film from that point, holding steering wheel and making brum-brum noises and screeching

Steve Hignett

posted on 23/4/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I am the same as your friend...

I don't have any suggestions as I am clueless in gaming etc...

My fave game is PS1/2 Crash Bandicoot
[/embarassed]

Jasper

posted on 23/4/11 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
FPS - First Person Shooter = basically killing things games.

bi22le

posted on 23/4/11 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Need for speed underground is quite an arcady driving game.

If he wants basic though the best way would be to go old school gaming.

PS2 converted games or old PC games from 2000 ish.

FPS would say Halo (the original and part 2 are quality shoot till you die basic FPS games) is a good one to consider.

Driving - not many good non similator games for the PC. Simply becasue you need a steering wheel really and it all gets a bit serious from then.

How about GTA? That has the best of both worlds (3rd person though). True crime is another along these lines.

Can you tell I am a massive gamer!!!

HTH

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mrwibble

posted on 23/4/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
i used to play house of dead years ago on my mates xbox? he had the guns and we could complete the whole thing before we left for work...
beagley

posted on 23/4/11 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Need for speed underground is quite an arcady driving game.
Biz

I second that! Need For Speed is a game that can be played in small segments, the learning curve is almost non-existent and its pretty fun. No where CLOSE to real life driving physics so it sounds like that would be a good fit for your friend.

I haven't really played too many FPS lately, I was always a fan of the Time Crisis series that Namco put out for the PS1 and PS2. Has he looked at getting the MAME emulator for all the old arcade games? Its a program that you run on your computer that emulates (pretends to be) old arcade machines. If you have the ROMs (games) you can load them up and play all sorts of games.

If interested U2U me and I can give you some more info.

Beags

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

scudderfish

posted on 23/4/11 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
For a FPS, have a look at Half Life 2

beagley

posted on 23/4/11 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
For a FPS, have a look at Half Life 2

Ooooo....... I can't tell you how many hours I spent in college playing that game, well technically it was Half Life 1. There is a lot of thinking and puzzle solving required in that game and it is incredibly hard to put down. That has been one of the few game series that made me tense while playing it. GREAT GAME! You're going to make me dig it out of the closet and fire it up again.

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

jlparsons

posted on 23/4/11 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Driving game - can't beat gran tourismo.

FPS - for fun and monsters, half-life 1&2. For realistic modern combat, operation flashpoint, dragon rising. Very tough game (realistic damage/injury, no saves...) and takes a long while to get into it, but WOW is it enjoyable once you've learnt it.

RoadkillUK

posted on 23/4/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
For a FPS game, I recommend 'Battlefield 4 Free' LINKY

As for a driving game, I've not tried it but there's another free one here. LINKY

There are more games here LINKY

HTH

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 23/4/11 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
FPS - "Serious Sam 01" is a simple one I enjoy with lots of monsters to kill - only starts getting hard for beginners near the end.

"Race 07" is another simple driving game.

McLannahan

posted on 23/4/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Bubble Bobble!

I remember it on our family C64.....

http://nintendo8.com/game/90/bubble_bobble/

Liam

posted on 23/4/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
For a no-brains FPS try left 4 dead and/or left for dead 2. Will be dead cheap on Steam. They are designed as co-op multiplayer really, but I play them single player offline when I need a quick pick up and play frag fest. Not quite killing things, but portal is also amazing and portal 2 has just been released (even more amazing).

As suggested above, it is possible to set up MAME on a PC with all your favourite arcade games and you can even get a light gun working too (or use the mouse but that isn't really the same).

[Edited on 23/4/11 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 26/4/11 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps

Half-Life - my all time favourite PC game......

Can somebody point me in the direction of some MAME ROMS. I used to have it all working years ago, but don't have any ROMS saved. XMBC media player has a MAME plug-in so you can play ROMS on the TV via my HTPC.

Ninehigh

posted on 26/4/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Actually if he likes Burnout they've made Revenge and Dominator for the PS2, I have them both and would still be playing them but for our PS2 slowly giving up the ghost

iank

posted on 26/4/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
One easy FPS for the casual gamer is OpenArena. Easy to dip in and out of and the easy skill level is a very easy way to ease into it.
Has the bonus that it doesn't tax your hardware too much and is free for Windows, Mac and Linux

http://www.openarena.ws/smfnews.php

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Liam

posted on 26/4/11 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
I get MAME roms from Planet Emulation. It's all in french but it's a decent site, always kept up to date and fast download speed. It's pretty self evident what to click on despite the frenchy-ness (or if not just give me a shout).
Mr G

posted on 9/7/11 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
Bubble Bobble!

I remember it on our family C64.....

http://nintendo8.com/game/90/bubble_bobble/

We knocked up a 'demo' for that back in the day

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.