Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best 1000cc bike engine?
henryc

posted on 24/4/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Best 1000cc bike engine?

Just wondering what the consensus is about the best 1000cc bike engine at the moment (pre 2009)? The blade, ZX10, GSXR and R1 all look fairly even power wise (maybe even closer with a freeflowing exhaust and a power commander), gearing shouldn't be an issue (looking at building a rear engined jobby so fairly free for final drive ratio) but are any of these particularly unreliable or expensive to run?

Looking forward to hearing your experiences!

austin man

posted on 24/4/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
all have been extensively used in Kit car and conversions so shouldnt realy be a problem. I would think that the cost is the biggest thought. Just because 1 is cheaper and the same power output as the rest doesnt mean that it will be the cheapest install as there may be additional things that need doing to it for a car install

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

fimi7

posted on 24/4/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem making up my mind a few months ago. I did a lot of research before choosing a GSXR 1300, mainly for the following reasons.

1. The number of after-market parts are vast, very vast.
2. The number of people racing that engine was also very vast.

The amount of power is just about the same on all of them. The only one thing about the GSXR that a few have had issues with is the oil system. It needs to be replaced with a very good pan or preferably a dry sump system. From what I have read the R1 does not have that issue.

Basically they are all very good and any of them will do, I wanted the most options in regards to modifying later.

I know you asked about the 1000, but the 1300 and the 1000 are basically the same, just a different crank and cam. I choose the 1300 to get more torque, something many BEC lack.

--- Ali

StevieB

posted on 24/4/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 2000 R1 in my Indy (about 150bhp) and it was plenty fast for me.

A friend has blade engine in his Lotus 7 and while it's down on power against the R1 by a good 20bhp or so, the difference in performance is negligable on track and almost impossible to tell on the road.

All the engine's you've listed are well proven in kits for performance and reliability - I'd say just get your money together, ring Malc at Yorkshire Engines and see what you can get for your money.

eddie99

posted on 24/4/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
The racers all rate the 2008 CBR 1000 as the best 1 litre BEC at the mo....

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
marcjagman

posted on 24/4/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Honda CBR1000f late 80's early 90's, 135+bhp, 105+nm torque and the bikes are really cheap. Make sure you fit new timing chain guides/slippers though. Mine was a low mileage 89 model for £400 with tax and test. Sold the bits I didn't need and got £250 back. Cheap engine.
matt_gsxr

posted on 24/4/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
The racers all rate the 2008 CBR 1000 as the best 1 litre BEC at the mo....

Didn't Paul Rodgers win the RGB at Mallory with a GSXR1000? I know there are lots of factors involved, but normally the faster drivers choose the faster engines.

I think its fair to say that they are all good.
R1 , CBR1000rr , zx10r , gsxr1000

Not sure which is the optimum though.

Matt

Major Stare

posted on 24/4/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I was in the same situation and it came down to "just pick one" in the end.

I went for the 2003 5PW R1 as it only needs a baffle plate for car use.

Plenty quick enough for me

Jon "FISH"

progers

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't win at Mallory but I did win 2 races at Brands in my GSXR1000

To be truthful, there isn't much between the 2008 GSXR, CBR1000RR and ZX10 (The R1 is the one not to go for out of the big four) The ZX10 probably makes the most bhp but has poorer torque, the CBR1000 probably has the best torque curve but loses a bit at the top end. The Gixxer is somewhere in between.

Its more a case of packaging, getting the right intake and exhaust working and generally optimising the set-up. I am pretty happy with my GSXR, but its not the commonest choice. Andy at AB pushes the CBR1000 (he likes Hondas) so there is good support there from him. The Kwaka is the best value...

In a mid engined installation all 3 will be competitive. If you need specific info on what you need to do to make a Gixxer sing just U2U me.

Cheers

Paul

[Edited on 25/4/11 by progers]

henryc

posted on 25/4/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all comments, should have mentioned I'm limited to 1000cc due to the racing regs. The 919 blade motor I have is actually fast enough for me, but the gearbox occasionally throws it's toys out of the pram (on number 4 now I think) and the later 1000cc engines are quite a bit quicker when racing as long as you can get the power down.
Might start looking for a GSXR by the sounds of it Paul, I'll hassle you in the paddock to have a look at your rear end (ooh-err).

progers

posted on 26/4/11 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by henryc
Might start looking for a GSXR by the sounds of it Paul, I'll hassle you in the paddock to have a look at your rear end (ooh-err).

Hi Henry,

Didn't know you had the time to build a new car with young nipper around! You are more than welcome to have a look see at my installation, nothing to hide from a fellow competitor

- Paul

[Edited on 26/4/11 by progers]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.